Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 29 Jan 2015 (Thursday) 15:58
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Why you should stop taking photos!

benji25
Joined Jan 2010
Twin Cities
Jan 30, 2015 14:38 |  #16

Todd Lambert wrote in post #17407490external link
Wow... okay, I'm done. Screw you guys.

I'm not some spammer who has been on here for 3 days. I'd like to think that I've been here long enough and helped enough people to give something back to this community, but apparently with the new design, a bunch of idiots have come in with it.

If this is the crap you're going to get for trying to make something and share it with others, then I'm done with POTN, sadly. This place used to be a great resource and had lots of thoughtful conversations, but I guess that day has gone.

Sorry if it came off a little harsher than I meant it.

I am all for good content. I consume hours of content every day. However it just has a sense of.....unprofessionali​sm?...when you are trying to bait someone to click by the title. Many forums (Reddit specifically) have rules that your title needs to be descriptive. If you truly put out quality content you shouldn't need clik-bait type titles. Or have the click bait title but follow it with what's in the article (i.e. "Why you should stop taking photos....and make photos by focusing on good composition".

Pretty much any time I see a link - or better yet the ads on facebook with a picture and a red circle or arrow in it saying "you won't believe...." I am like "do you really need to resort to this to get people to click? Tell me what I am going to see or I don't click the link.

Websiteexternal link
flickrexternal link

sponsored links
jabtas
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2005
Teesside UK
Post has been last edited over 2 years ago by jabtas. 3 edits done in total.
Jan 30, 2015 14:47 |  #17

Quite a shocking response from people on here, its a link to an article, not some scam
:-(

Lots of stuff on Todd's site, musing on his travels, airing his thoughts etc

Keep at it Todd, safe travels

Tim
Some Canon stuff, some Sigma stuff and yet more Canon stuff
My Gallery - http://www.pbase.com/j​abtasexternal link

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Jan 30, 2015 14:55 |  #18

Todd Lambert wrote in post #17407490external link
Wow... okay, I'm done. Screw you guys.

I'm not some spammer who has been on here for 3 days. I'd like to think that I've been here long enough and helped enough people to give something back to this community, but apparently with the new design, a bunch of idiots have come in with it.

If this is the crap you're going to get for trying to make something and share it with others, then I'm done with POTN, sadly. This place used to be a great resource and had lots of thoughtful conversations, but I guess that day has gone.

Todd, I'm not sure what you are so angry about. What I said just prior to your angry post was actually said in agreement with an earlier comment of yours........I thought that was clear from the way I started my post with, "I'm glad you said this, Todd......"

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

Todd ­ Lambert
THREAD ­ STARTER
I don't like titles
12,617 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2009
On The Roads Across America
Jan 30, 2015 15:07 as a reply to Tom Reichner's post |  #19

Tom, sorry, I wasn't referring to your post.

Year of Night - 365 Night Project - check it out! (external link)

Follow me into the night.
Unique Night Photography - twilightscapes.com (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Jan 30, 2015 15:25 |  #20

Todd Lambert wrote in post #17407555external link
Tom, sorry, I wasn't referring to your post.

Whew! That's good! I really do think that you had a lot to contribute with that article, and that it is definitely something of value for any aspiring photographers. Soon as I get a bit of free time I want to click on the links in your signature........readi​ng about your travels sounds like fun!

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

Luckless
Goldmember
3,043 posts
Joined Mar 2012
PEI, Canada
Jan 30, 2015 15:50 |  #21

I really should have expanded on my initial post in this thread rather than being overly blunt.

"Click-bait" style titles are viewed in an exceptionally poor light by many because we're tired of them. Content that falls back to click-bait titles is frequently of a very inferior quality, and often merely rehashes of "The same old crap" that anyone who has spent any amount of time online has already seen dozens of times.

Good content attracts readership because it is good, and gains viewers over time because it holds up and the link to it gets passed around and referenced. Content which is presented with sensational titling far too often proves to be far less interesting than we're supposed to believe it is, and is all too often generated for no other purpose than to trick a user into loading the page (and the page's ads), stay for the few seconds/minutes it takes to glance over, and then move on.

Add in self promotion of it... And experience has taught many of us that such tactics are frequently rather unreliable, and rather disappointing.

Now, had you given it a far more descriptive title, and posted something more along the lines of "I posted up a new article on my site that I think some of you may be interested in, or may be able to offer some useful feedback on..." then I probably would have clicked the link.

Presentation of your content online matters, and you should be aware of the very hostile backlash to the style of tactics you've chosen because of what others have done with it in the past.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Lucklessexternal link

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
Joined May 2007
Oak Park, Illinois
Jan 30, 2015 15:52 |  #22

Todd I've always been a fan...

Don't let the world wide web get to ya. I, for one, would miss your words of wisdom and your thought inspiring images.

Tom's one of the good guys round these here parts to...

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,802 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Post has been last edited over 2 years ago by CyberDyneSystems. 2 edits done in total.
Jan 30, 2015 16:34 |  #23

We're pretty good at removing Spam on POTN, and this is NOT it.
I've been to Todd's website more times than I can count, and never felt that I was dragged there. His work is good and has interested me.

We have many kinds of members here on POTN. My favorite kind I call "contributors"
... More important than Admins or Mods. They are what makes a site like this tick.

Todd is in that category.

Just saying.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

benji25
Joined Jan 2010
Twin Cities
Jan 30, 2015 16:37 |  #24

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #17407673external link
We're pretty good at removing Spam on POTN, and this is NOT it.
I've been to Todd's website more times than I can count, and never felt that I was dragged there. His work is good and has interested me.

We have many kinds of members here on POTN. My favorite I call "contributors"
More important than Admins or Mods.

Todd is in that category.

Just saying.

I don't think many people thought it was spam. I didn't. I just have a loathing for click-bait/vague titles.

Websiteexternal link
flickrexternal link

Todd ­ Lambert
THREAD ­ STARTER
I don't like titles
12,617 posts
Joined May 2009
Jan 30, 2015 17:01 |  #25

Sorry everyone for the pissy mood. I've had a bad few days (make it months actually). I haven't been on any photo forums in a long time, and I guess my skin wore a little thin.

I apologize for making anyone think it was a clickbait article, that wasn't my intention. The title is accurate to me, as it's the focus of the article and the very first paragraph states the answer to the question posed in the title.

I thought that was pretty obvious. I guess I will try and add more information so as not to scare anyone from making a click that they didn't want to.

Thank you guys for saying kind words about me. I've been on this site longer than any other website and so I feel as though many of you are like family. I've met some incredibly talented people on here and I've learned a ton.

Recently, I've decided to start writing more and I'm actively trying to find an audience, which isn't as easy as that may seem.

I do have a lot more stuff coming up (a lot of beginner level stuff, mixed in with some more theory type articles such as this.) I even have some video reviews and other things coming up too.

I've been actively searching for a way to make money from photography and I have fully embraced the Internet and new forms of media and marketing. I hope to talk a lot more about this soon, once I am confident in my model and my methods.

Thanks for bearing with me.

- Todd

vk2gwk
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2009
One Mile Beach, NSW 2316, Australia
Jan 30, 2015 17:42 |  #26

Some people may be annoyed by what they call "click-baiting". I am not. Of course there is a lot of rubbish around on the internet. But click-baiting is one way to find the gems. It is like advertising and newspaper headlines: the better ones and the more intriguing ones get the attention. If - after all - it appears to be rubbish you'll discover that within seconds and just click your "back button". But by not clicking you may have missed the gem.... :)
And... on POTN I always check who put up the "bait". When I see Todd Lambert or some other regulars I am pretty sure it is going to be interesting. But still: an intriguing title helps to draw the attention.

My name is Henk. and I believe "It is all in the eye of the beholder....."
Image Editing is allowed. Please explain what you did!
5D MkIV 5DMkIII, 50D, 24-105/1:4L IS USM + 100-400/4-5.6L IS USM + 50mm 1.4 USM + Tamron 70-200mm F/2.8 VC + Sigma 150-600mm Sports + 580EXII + 430EX + YN568EXII, triggers, reflectors, umbrellas and some more bits and pieces...
Photos on: Flickr! (external link) and on my own web site. (external link)

joayne
Cream of the Crop
12,128 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2005
Stuck@Coachella
Jan 30, 2015 17:46 |  #27

Todd you have always been a great contributor on POTN. You share your photos, information and processes. Keep up what you are doing, I'm sure it will begin to give back to you quite soon. You have a wonderful photographic style and I too have been a longtime fan.

I wish you nothing but the best and I always enjoy your work!

Keep posting and contributing :love:

joayne Contribute to POTN | Where's Nifty?! #2 | List | Worldwide Photo Week

Luckless
Goldmember
3,043 posts
Joined Mar 2012
PEI, Canada
Jan 30, 2015 17:46 |  #28

The title you gave your article, and the banner you presented with it, are what make it 'click-bait'. You picked a deliberately inflammatory subject line and posted it to a community that would probably object to being told to "stop taking photos".

You may have great content in that article, but I have no plans to ever click it on principle of avoiding giving support to anyone resorting to such tactics. This is something we are seeing more and more, even from once 'legitimate' news sites as they try to drive up ad revenue from mining social media's ability to spread fear and sensationalism like wildfire by delving into murky and deplorable depth that is becoming the modern web.

The web is slowly becoming less and less useful due to the vast amount of garbage being posted with the sole purpose of getting as many page loads as possible. Actual useful content is becoming drowned out and harder to find because of how already outdated automated services (like Google) are built under a false assumption that if people are 'viewing' something, then it must be valuable, and the more people viewing it then the more valuable it is. A good example of this is the (I think Russian) photographer who did some really stunning snowflake photography awhile ago and the images really got around on social media. I saw those photos, thought it was interested, and started hunting for more info on methods and such for doing similar work. And what did I find? Google became flooded with click-bait short articles on the work of the original photographer that had sent me looking for more info. Even using detailed search methods it became very hard to get results that weren't some general copy or re-share of that same group of initial photos and short article.

So the problem with 'click-bait' is really a social and technological one, and the vast volume of trash using it as a means to spread its viewership makes all click-bait appearing links to be suspect.

And the only way people like myself can try and fight back against this trend is to simply say no to it. Let content creators/publishers know that if they keep using such tactics then we will refuse to visit their site and deny them that small bit of ad revenue our viewership would have given them, and encourage other people to take a similar stance. If enough people avoid 'click-bait' of all forms, then trash content driven by such practices will stop being worthwhile, and such sites might just have to resort to trying to produce quality content again to attract viewers.

In short, my dislike of your advertising methods is nothing against you or your work, but merely a dislike of your methods themselves.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Lucklessexternal link

Todd ­ Lambert
THREAD ­ STARTER
I don't like titles
12,617 posts
Joined May 2009
Jan 30, 2015 17:57 as a reply to Luckless's post |  #29

That's a fair assessment, but I will only say that you are at the end of a losing battle. You might as well unplug from the Internet because it's only going to get worse.

And to answer about your insisting that my methods are click bait: I didn't write that article for POTN. I wrote it because it meant something to me. The title went right along with the article. The graphic may be a little bait-ish, but honestly, it was made that way because of Facebooks own guidelines of having less than 20% text with an image, otherwise they won't promote it. (FB is a huge market for me)

But I guess you schooled me... I hope you enjoy what's left of the Internet while you can, because in your eyes it's dwindling fast! ;-)a

Todd ­ Lambert
THREAD ­ STARTER
I don't like titles
12,617 posts
Joined May 2009
Jan 30, 2015 19:02 as a reply to joayne's post |  #30

Thank you Joayne, that means a ton to me!

sponsored links

7,530 views & 8 likes for this thread
Why you should stop taking photos!
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.