Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Still Life, B/W & Experimental Talk
Thread started 16 Oct 2014 (Thursday) 02:41
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Can a reflected blink potentially best the shutter?

yup ­ talon
298 posts
Joined Nov 2006
Michigan, US
Oct 16, 2014 02:41 |  #1

A friend recently posted this to my timeline, suggesting that it was an unedited photo. That by the time the shutter opened to the bottom half (right side of this photo) of the sensor, the child had opened his eyes. I know this sort of camera trickery isn't necessarily useful, but it makes me curious. Is he blowing smoke or is something like this actually possible? If so, I'd love hear your suggestions as to what shutter speed range youd suggest using to try replicating something like this. So far I've tried speeds in the 1/250 - 1/500 range with no luck.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

-Ryan
5D4/grip, 6D/grip, 17-40 f4L, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f2.8L IS II, 85 f1.8, 50 f1.4, Sigma 105 f2.8, 600EX-RT, 430EX, 430 EXII
www.RDHphotos.com (external link) | Facebook (external link)

sponsored links
Qlayer2
OOOHHH! Pretty Moth!
Joined Dec 2013
Detroit, MI
Oct 16, 2014 07:56 |  #2

Speed of an average blink is 300 to 400 ms- around 1/3. Your shutters are moving vertically, one from the bottom and one from the top. Since his eyes in the reflection are pretty close to the same plane of focus, It's probably doctored. A quick google image search shows this image has been around for at least 5 years.

http://boingboing.net ...0/explain-this-photo.htmlexternal link

Support this site - donate here

armis
Joined Jan 2012
Oct 24, 2014 04:53 |  #3

http://en.wikipedia.or​g/wiki/Rolling_shutterexternal link

edit: the camera has two shutters that move so that at fast speeds, the frame is only exposed by an open slit moving from top to bottom. As a result, top and bottom of the frame are not exposed at the same time. To see this in effect simply, use a fast-rotating object (spinning wheel, aircraft propeller, whatever) and photograph it from a point above it on its axis, at a sufficiently high speed. Should give you something weird like thisexternal link. Same phenomenon.

Fuji X-E2, 18-55 and 55-200 zooms, Samyang 12
www.wtbphoto.com (external link)

dave63
Goldmember
1,269 posts
Joined Aug 2008
In the ether between Denver and Boulder
Dec 04, 2014 08:45 |  #4

Anybody who's ever tried to get a kid this age to stand absolutely perfectly still - let alone cooperate - will tell you this isn't doctored.

JakAHearts
Cream of the Crop
Joined Sep 2010
Silver Spring, MD
Dec 17, 2014 12:28 |  #5

dave63 wrote in post #17310979external link
Anybody who's ever tried to get a kid this age to stand absolutely perfectly still - let alone cooperate - will tell you this isn't doctored.

:lol:lol::lol::

Shane
flickr (external link)

110yd
755 posts
Joined Jan 2005
Feb 05, 2015 15:04 |  #6

The speed of light is 186,000 miles per second (Give or take a little) There is absolutely no way you can convince me that the image is not Photoshopped.....

Regards.

110yd

scobols
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2006
Waconia, MN
Feb 05, 2015 15:19 |  #7

It is possible. Watch this video and skip to 4:50: https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=CmjeCchGRQo#​t=293external link

Scott

www.scottbolster.comexternal link
facebookexternal link

nqjudo
Goldmember
2,680 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Canada
Feb 05, 2015 15:42 |  #8

That's not the same kid! It's the girl from The Ring!!!!!!

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. - Edward Steichen.

Nathan
So boring
Joined Aug 2007
Boston
Feb 05, 2015 15:52 |  #9

armis wrote in post #17230464external link
the frame is only exposed by an open slit moving from top to bottom. As a result, top and bottom of the frame are not exposed at the same time.

Or side to side if you shoot in portrait orientation.

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 35 L | 50L | 85L II | 135L | 580 EX II x2

JakAHearts
Cream of the Crop
Joined Sep 2010
Silver Spring, MD
Feb 05, 2015 19:48 as a reply to 110yd's post |  #10

I think the speed of light further enforces that this is possible. While the shutter slit was traveling across the frame, the light was fast enough to be different from one side to the other.

Shane
flickr (external link)

Shake ­ N ­ Vac
520 posts
Joined Sep 2012
UK
Feb 07, 2015 02:00 |  #11

110yd wrote in post #17417004external link
The speed of light is 186,000 miles per second (Give or take a little) There is absolutely no way you can convince me that the image is not Photoshopped.....

Regards.

110yd

does the speed of light come into though - I'd have thought the speed the shutter flashes across the sensor would be the limiting factor.

google says around 300 milliseconds for a blink so with the right shutter speed and timing I think this could be done (am not quite awake enough to try it myself yet though :))

Canon 6D / Canon 70-200 IS ii / Sigma 100 Macro f2.8 / 50mm f1.8
www.sm-wedding-photography.co.uk (external link)

wallstreetoneil
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2014
Toronto Canada
Feb 08, 2015 08:50 |  #12

the speed of light is very important here - it actually makes it possible - as long as someone could blink quickly enough

if 300 to 400 milliseconds is actually the time it takes to fully blink then 1/2 this time is the relevant time as he has started on the left with his lids shut

lets also say that some people can actually blink faster than the average range at 200 milliseconds - thus 1/2 of this is 100 milliseconds or 1/10th of a second

now, it doesn't appear his eyes on the right are fully open (lets say 1/2 open) so now we are talking about 1/20th of a second

i am not a shutter speed expert, but if you found a camera with a slow shutter mechanism (low flash sync speed would be the telling point), such as a Leica Range Finder @ 1/50 or a 1970s SLR with a 1/30th Sync Speed with its Focal Plane Shutter, then now you are in the ball-park of it being possible

with a modern DSLR camera and a 1/200 or 1/250 sync speed, the shutter speed required to have the second curtain closing to freeze the eye in the closed position and still not have the 1st curtain (in Portrait mode curtains going left to right) having exposed the sensor to the now 1/2 opened eyed seems to be too fast (i.e. SS of 1/300 is more than 1 order of magnitude faster than the theoretical 1/10 of a second described above)

so i think it is possible, you just need the right type of camera and the perfect timing and a fast blinker - and a lot of attempts

Hockey and wedding photographer. Favourite camera / lens combos: a 1DX II with a Tamron 45 1.8 VC, an A7Rii with a Canon 24-70F2.8L II, and a 5DSR with a Tamron 85 1.8 VC. Every lens I own I strongly recommend [Canon (35Lii, 100L Macro, 24-70F2.8ii, 70-200F2.8ii, 100-400Lii), Tamron (45 1.8, 85 1.8), Sigma 24-105]. If there are better lenses out there let me know because I haven't found them.

KirkS518
Goldmember
3,983 posts
Joined Apr 2012
Central Gulf Coast, Flori-duh
Mar 19, 2015 09:18 |  #13

I do think it's very possible, but....

I have my doubts that what we're seeing is actually any different between the actual kid and the reflection. Here's why;

• The reflection has some distortion, and a part of me thinks his eyes are actually closed in the reflection, but the distortion 'enlarges' his eyelashes or the line between lids to make it seem that his eyes are open (half open is what I see at best).

• Also, it looks like it's the reflection looking at the camera (mom/dad), and not the child. ie, if his eyes were open on the left, would he be looking at the camera, or the turned off TV? The reflection says he's looking at the camera via the blank tv screen. Not something I would expect. This brings me back to thinking the reflection distortion above.

Now, I'm probably completely wrong, but those are two things I noticed that say what we're seeing isn't what's there. Like I said, I think it's completely possible to do this, and I'll probably try it...

If steroids are illegal for athletes, should PS be illegal for models?
Digital - 50D, 20D IR Conv, 9 Lenses from 8mm to 300mm
Analog - Mamiya RB67 Pro-SD, Canon A-1, Nikon F4S, YashicaMat 124G, Rollei 35S, QL17 GIII, Zeiss Ikon Ikoflex 1st Version, and and entire room full of lenses and other stuff

RDKirk
Cream of the Crop
12,498 posts
Joined May 2004
USA
Mar 19, 2015 09:36 |  #14

wallstreetoneil wrote in post #17421519external link
i am not a shutter speed expert, but if you found a camera with a slow shutter mechanism (low flash sync speed would be the telling point), such as a Leica Range Finder @ 1/50 or a 1970s SLR with a 1/30th Sync Speed with its Focal Plane Shutter, then now you are in the ball-park of it being possible

That would be 1/60 for a 1970s era SLR, btw. And that would still require that the portions of the frame being compared be on the opposite far edges of the frame to gain that much of a time interval...closer in, the time interval would be shorter.

I severely doubt all those factors managed to line up for this particular shot.

Copidosoma
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2009
Edmonton AB, Canada
Jul 22, 2015 22:18 |  #15

Nathan wrote in post #17417104 (external link)
Or side to side if you shoot in portrait orientation.

this.

Gear: 7DII | 6D | Fuji X100s |Sigma 24A, 50A, 150-600C |24-105L |Samyang 14 2.8|Tamron 90mm f2.8 |and some other stuff
http://www.shutterstoc​k.com/g/copidosoma (external link)
https://500px.com/chri​s_kolaczan (external link)

sponsored links

6,356 views & 3 likes for this thread
Can a reflected blink potentially best the shutter?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Still Life, B/W & Experimental Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.