Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff AMASS Forum Software Talk
Thread started 07 Feb 2015 (Saturday) 09:56
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

[Suggestion] Adding Abstract section to the site

dkizzle
Goldmember
1,184 posts
Joined Mar 2012
Feb 07, 2015 09:56 |  #1

I am suggestion that a section is added to the sharing & discussion of abstract photography. Thanks in advance!

I want to guest blog on your Landscape / Travel photography blog, PM for details

sponsored links
Pekka
El General Moderator
17,238 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Mar 2001
Hellsinki, Finland
Feb 07, 2015 15:09 |  #2

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/forumdis​play.php?f=31 is meant also for that, isn't it? That is our "artsy" section :)

The Forum Boss, El General Moderator
AMASS 1.4 Changelog (installed here now)

dkizzle
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,184 posts
Joined Mar 2012
Feb 07, 2015 18:20 |  #3

I agree with you that its a section for artsy stuff but abstract is not necessarily about Still life & Experimental images. Abstract images can be of anything and just an artists own interpretation.

I want to guest blog on your Landscape / Travel photography blog, PM for details

Pekka
El General Moderator
17,238 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Mar 2001
Hellsinki, Finland
Feb 07, 2015 18:28 |  #4

dkizzle wrote in post #17420705external link
I agree with you that its a section for artsy stuff but abstract is not necessarily about Still life & Experimental images. Abstract images can be of anything and just an artists own interpretation.

Experimental is not only about still life, either :)

You could always start new threads in related genre forums, like "Abstract Portraits anyone?" or "Abstract Landscapes". Who knows how popular they could be! If you add those photos to your gallery, like minded shooters will find all threads easily just by browsing your gallery, too.

The Forum Boss, El General Moderator
AMASS 1.4 Changelog (installed here now)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Feb 10, 2015 10:38 |  #5

I always thought that abstract images were part of the B&W, Still Life, & Experimental. There is so little interest in abstract that it wouldn't make sense to have an entire forum just for that........and this coming from someone who absolutely loves to create abstract photos!

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

OhLook
Spiderwoman
15,174 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Joined Dec 2012
California: SF Bay Area
Feb 10, 2015 11:22 |  #6

Urban Life & Travel contains many abstracts. Check out the Urban Fragments thread particularly.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS FOR YOU: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.) | IMAGE EDITING OK

dkizzle
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,184 posts
Joined Mar 2012
Feb 10, 2015 16:29 |  #7

The images I had in mind are not B/W, Urban, Still Life or Experimental.

Thanks for the heads up.

-Douglas-
Beware of DOUG
Joined Jun 2008
------ snarf ------
Feb 10, 2015 16:44 |  #8

A couple more areas of interest might also be in
here >Show Us Your Manipulated images, Before and After
and here > Show me your Creative Edits (Post Processing Work, Layering Textures, Photoshop Art)

>myGEAR<
Edit My Images- OK
"Brain Fart" = an essential bodily function.

dkizzle
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,184 posts
Joined Mar 2012
Feb 10, 2015 17:59 as a reply to -Douglas-'s post |  #9

Thanks for jumping in but these are all completely unrelated categories.

Chet
For $20, I'll be your friend.
41,624 posts
Gallery: 89 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Feb 10, 2015 19:36 |  #10

Could you post an example of your interpretation for clarity sake?

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

-Douglas-
Beware of DOUG
Joined Jun 2008
------ snarf ------
Feb 10, 2015 20:41 |  #11

dkizzle wrote in post #17425985external link
Thanks for jumping in but these are all completely unrelated categories.

True, true, I see, more like capturing in camera the portion of a scene created by nature or man
that normally get un-noticed because they are so obvious that most would not think/see the
abstract value of the scene/object. Unlike the artistic manipulation of a photograph to produce
an abstract piece of art, correct?

>myGEAR<
Edit My Images- OK
"Brain Fart" = an essential bodily function.

dkizzle
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,184 posts
Joined Mar 2012
Feb 11, 2015 06:40 |  #12

Here is one called "Spooky Abstract"

IMAGE: http://i60.tinypic.com/deb874.jpg

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by Tom Reichner.
Feb 11, 2015 08:05 as a reply to dkizzle's post |  #13

That's a really cool abstract, Dennis!

I like the directional nature of it, as well as the balance and distribution of lights and darks.

In my opinion, this type of abstract image seems to fit perfectly into the "experimental" part of B&W, Still Life & Experimental.

Here's one of my abstracts that I also think fits well into the B&W, Still Life & Experimental forum, under the "experimental" part:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.
I realize this is not a "photo sharing" part of the forum, but I am posting it here to show an example of how abstract images fit properly into the B&W, Still Life & Experimental forum. Perhaps you never thought of such images as being "experimental", but they truly are, as we are most definitely experimenting when we attempt to create such imagery.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

dkizzle
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,184 posts
Joined Mar 2012
Feb 11, 2015 10:23 as a reply to Tom Reichner's post |  #14

In the simplest terms possible, experimental photography is often described as using alternative techniques. A photographer who does experimental photography uses techniques that are not common with the usual photography or digital photography

Your image was made using additional equipment (lights) and you experimented with different techniques to get the shot you were after. My abstract image is of nature and captures that exact moment in time. This was one of the few abstract images I took around the same time and place. I wasnt experimenting to get this type of image, it just happened and other images happened on their own. I had my eye at the right place and took a few shots.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by Tom Reichner.
Feb 11, 2015 10:35 as a reply to dkizzle's post |  #15

I happen to think that almost all photography is experimental at some level You take a photo sf something, from a certain perspective, and compose it a certain way, to see how it turns out......that's experimenting. In fact, composition, framing a shot, is experimentation in and of itself. Every time you look thru the viewfinder and move the camera around a little bit, to frame the image a certain way, you are experimenting.

I actually didn't use any lights for the image I posted, but I do find it interesting that it appeared to you as if lights had been used. Truth is, I wouldn't know what in the world to do with a light if I were given one.........I've never been much good at technological stuff, and photography lights, and flashes, seem very technological to me. But I did use a "technique"; I used a long exposure, and while the shutter was open I moved the camera around in a somewhat circular motion. The subject was a wall with some framed paintings, - brightly colored ones - hanging on it.

sponsored links

4,088 views & 0 likes for this thread
[Suggestion] Adding Abstract section to the site
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff AMASS Forum Software Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.