Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings
Thread started 21 Jan 2015 (Wednesday) 23:17
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

A Couple or Real Estate Shots for Your Review.

rgs
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2007
Oklahoma City
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by rgs.
Jan 21, 2015 23:17 |  #1

Grateful for this new forum and I would like to help get it off to a good start.

Here are a couple of recent shots. The interior is a 5 shot bracket processed with LightRoom Enfuse and then tweaked a bit in LR. This was the first job for a new client. They were very pleased.

The second is from an assignment for an architect for whom I have done several jobs. In this case, I photographed an entire gated community that he designed. It is a single exposure.

Enjoy. Comments are welcomed and greatly appreciated.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Canon 7d MkII, Canon 50D, Pentax 67, Canon 30D, Baker Custom 4x5, Canon EF 24-104mm f4, Canon EF 100mm f2.8 Macro, Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC

The Singular Image (external link)Richard Smith Photography (external link)
Richard Smith Real Estate Photography (external link)500PX (external link)
Fine Art America (external link)

sponsored links
njstacker22
Joined Mar 2014
Hamilton, NJ
Jan 22, 2015 10:59 |  #2

They are very nice. Was there a massive window behind you in the first shot? I'm just wondering how that ceiling has so much light on it.

Sony A7ii [Sony FE 16-35mm f/4] [Sony FE 28-70mm] [Rokinon 135mm F2] [Sony 50mm 1.8]
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/djbigley/ (external link)

rgs
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2007
Oklahoma City
Jan 22, 2015 11:35 as a reply to njstacker22's post |  #3

Thanks for your response. It was a really beautiful new home that. There were windows behind me but not especially large. I find exposure fusion (not HDR) combined with LR to be very effective.

Canon 7d MkII, Canon 50D, Pentax 67, Canon 30D, Baker Custom 4x5, Canon EF 24-104mm f4, Canon EF 100mm f2.8 Macro, Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC

dandingo
320 posts
Joined Aug 2012
SoCal
Jan 22, 2015 20:46 |  #4

I think it looks good. The only thing I would say is that maybe try shooting a bit tighter. I know you wanted to show the whole space but when you shoot this wide, the end of the room looks like it's a football field away as well as showing a lot of ceiling. I think you could've gone in a few mm tighter and cut off part of the piano and chair on the right. It would have brought the background in closer and cut the view of the ceiling at the same time.

I used LR Enfuse for about a year. It's a great 'non-HDR' looking plugin.

FACEBOOKexternal link
GOOGLE+external link

Alveric
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2011
Canada
Jan 22, 2015 20:57 |  #5

The first plane of shot #1 also looks very cluttered. You coulda moved the pieces of furniture that are cut off by the frame edge and space the remaining ones to avoid the tangents and also give the viewer a sense of 'being able to walk around'.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
10,138 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Aug 2010
West Point, Georgia
Jan 22, 2015 22:12 |  #6

Nice work, and thanks for your part in requesting this forum's creation!

INTERIOR:
The interior shot is very good, but I think a few furniture re-placements can make it stronger. The chair and side table closest the camera don't read well. I saw the circular table top and first thought, "What is that circular serving tray doing on the floor under the sofa?" Then I noticed the other side of the room - the flanking table. I would have likely just pulled the near chair and side table completely out of the frame. Or perhaps just work the camera pov more to make those pieces more visually coherent in the frame.

The bison head on the fireplace is cut off by the floor lamp...either adjust the lamp placement, or the camera. Looks like the opposite floor lampshade seam is facing the camera, swivel the shade to hide the seam (if that is what it is).

One other note/suggestion, clipping the edges of those columns (left side of frame) doesn't look great Plus there is a little black thing on the floor at the base of the rear column. Panning the camera to miss the columns might look better...just a thought, ou might feel differently.

Finally, and this speaks to the level of difficulty in this impressive shot, the rear room appears to have a cooler white balance that the nearer spaces.

Those are merely suggestions of things to consider. It's a nice interior capture. :)

EXTERIOR:

I like it! Maybe just rework the shrub layout....:lol: Kidding of course. :) Nice work!

David | Flickr (external link)

rgs
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2007
Oklahoma City
Jan 22, 2015 22:49 |  #7

Thanks a lot, guys! The lower left of that interior looks really cluttered now and it's all your fault!  :p

These kind of comments are so good to learn from. I appreciate all your input very much.

dmward
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2009
Metro Chicago
Jan 23, 2015 17:21 |  #8

Several mentioned Enfuse plug-in for Lightroom which I've used.
Another option, which I prefer, is to combine a three frame bracket using Photoshop and then saving the 32bit file as a TIFF for processing in Lightroom develop module along with the other images from the shoot.

Here ( http://digifotografi.c​om ...-bracket-set-in-lightroomexternal link ) is an article I wrote describing how I do it. The following article is how I use it with the narrower bracketing I get with Fuji XT-1 camera.

I like the images presented. As mentioned, foreground middle ground and background relationships and placement have a significant impact on an interior image. As does camera height. That's one benefit offered by TSE lenses.

I like the tighter perspective from less wide lenses, unfortunately a lot of realtors seem to think that ultra-wide makes the room look larger and thus more appealing. That biased view also means higher camera positions to see over the foreground which also means more shifting to get rid of excess ceiling.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

DisrupTer911
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2008
NJ, USA
Jan 24, 2015 22:47 as a reply to dmward's post |  #9

Enfuse or enfusePlus for lr5.7?

www.vividemotionphotograph​y.comexternal link

rgs
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2007
Oklahoma City
Jan 24, 2015 22:49 |  #10

There's an Enfuse Plus? I'll have to check that out.

jsvphoto
789 posts
Joined Aug 2008
Great Falls, Montana
Jan 26, 2015 13:35 |  #11

I like how you balanced the exposures in the interior shot. My preference is to let the exterior windows be just slightly blown in most cases (as you have done). If it's mid-day outside, having the windows show as properly exposed along with the deep dark recesses of the interior gives a very unrealistic impression, imo.

Someone mentioned the mixture of temperatures between interior and exterior light, which I also noticed. Might want to spend a little more time with a local adjustment temperature brush in LR to address that.

For the exterior shot, my initial impression is that I would have liked to try to get up higher (ladder, back of a pickup, etc.) for this shot. If I shoot from the ground and then from up about 5 feet above that, I typically end up preferring the higher shot. I modified my step ladder to hold my tripod for this reason. You might give it a try sometime to see if you like it.

Canon 7D Gripped; Canon 7D ii Gripped; Canon 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM; Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L; Canon TS-E 24 f/3.5 L; Sigma 85 f/1.4; Rokinon 8mm f/3.5; various lights & gizmos

rgs
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2007
Oklahoma City
Jan 26, 2015 13:50 |  #12

I agree about the windows. In most cases it seems to me like correct exposure for windows, even though it's the way our brain processes it on site, looks unnatural and 2 dimensional. I did use a ladder on some of the houses for this assignment, but not this one. I also have a 16 foot pole.

tytlyf
Joined Jan 2015
FL, USA
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by tytlyf.
Jan 26, 2015 20:05 |  #13

rgs wrote in post #17394098external link
Grateful for this new forum and I would like to help get it off to a good start.

Here are a couple of recent shots. The interior is a 5 shot bracket processed with LightRoom Enfuse and then tweaked a bit in LR. This was the first job for a new client. They were very pleased.

The second is from an assignment for an architect for whom I have done several jobs. In this case, I photographed an entire gated community that he designed. It is a single exposure.

Enjoy. Comments are welcomed and greatly appreciated.

I think both shots are nice composition. The first image needs to crop out that pillow at the bottom middle and move the purple chair more to the left. The second image seems like it needs more vibrance and a tad more exposure? Either way, I like the lighting on the first image with the enfuse.

Canon 6D - 16-35 F/4L IS - 24-105 F/4L IS
www.FLREphotography.co​m (external link)
flickr (external link)

Marc451814882
129 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Feb 11, 2015 08:32 |  #14

Very nice and vivid photography.
Beautiful perspective on the outside photo.
I can imagine your client whas pleased.

Marc

5d-mkIII - 7d and some glass
Have a nice day...

sponsored links

3,630 views & 3 likes for this thread
A Couple or Real Estate Shots for Your Review.
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.