Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk
Thread started 04 Feb 2015 (Wednesday) 01:07
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Free Work - Fair Evaluation or Labor Abuse?

benji25
Joined Jan 2010
Twin Cities
Feb 11, 2015 16:35 |  #16

idkdc wrote in post #17427496external link
The definition that you and I posted precisely says money, in return for suffering, not time lost. Hence you compensate someone for an accident or libel, or you pay someone wages. You trade services (assisting for quality teaching), you don't compensate a service for another.

No it precisely says "typically" money - meaning not always.

I am saying in one way or another you are being compensated for your time. Either in money, beer, food, diapers, wine, knowledge or cigars.

Either way my point is: it is up to YOU and you alone to determine if working for something other than cash is worth it to you. When starting out, there are many things that are more valuable than cash.

I think there might be a good comparison with fishing. Would you rather get paid $50 to stand on a dock and fish not really knowing how or would you rather not have that $50, get to follow a professional fisherman for a few trips and then know how to REALY fish and use those tools for the rest of your life to make more money?

Websiteexternal link
flickrexternal link

sponsored links
idkdc
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,799 posts
Joined Oct 2014
Feb 11, 2015 17:36 |  #17

benji25 wrote in post #17427542external link
No it precisely says "typically" money - meaning not always.

I am saying in one way or another you are being compensated for your time. Either in money, beer, food, diapers, wine, knowledge or cigars.

Either way my point is: it is up to YOU and you alone to determine if working for something other than cash is worth it to you. When starting out, there are many things that are more valuable than cash.

I think there might be a good comparison with fishing. Would you rather get paid $50 to stand on a dock and fish not really knowing how or would you rather not have that $50, get to follow a professional fisherman for a few trips and then know how to REALY fish and use those tools for the rest of your life to make more money?

Like I said, the word you're looking for is trade, not compensation.

1DIII through 1DXII(2) | 5D2-4 | 5DS | 8-800mm
XT2 | 16-140mm

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,843 posts
Joined Nov 2010
Feb 11, 2015 21:50 |  #18

Personally I don't use assistants as they slow me down. Someone offering to assist for free puts me out. All the risk is my end and all the benefit theirs. It is a bad model. If I want an assistant I'll pay for one and hire someone I want who is worth paying and values what they offer themselves.

If someone wants to learn from me though I have shadowing opportunities available. They pay me to shadow me/be taught whilst I shoot a wedding. That way I am not relying on them in order to do my job. They are not working for me... they are learning from me. Having people who have financially invested in learning also means you get a higher calibre of person than you would with a free assistant. They value your expertise more (they're prepared to put their hands in their pocket).

Peter

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,843 posts
Joined Nov 2010
Feb 11, 2015 21:54 |  #19

benji25 wrote in post #17427542external link

Education has value. Education for labour is a reasonable trade IMO.

A lot depends on the nature of the assistant as to what is fair as such... bag carrier/gopher or more than than.

Peter

mcap1972
148 posts
Joined Sep 2008
Toronto
Feb 12, 2015 08:47 |  #20

Annie Leibovitz is using unpaid interns all the time and I don't think they complain about it. The ability to work alongside her is priceless.

Avangard Photography (external link)

Tigerkn
Goldmember
4,046 posts
Joined Feb 2009
CA
Feb 19, 2015 18:19 as a reply to post 17427130 |  #21

Wells put LLoyd!

Website (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Gears (external link)

sponsored links

3,219 views & 3 likes for this thread
Free Work - Fair Evaluation or Labor Abuse?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.