Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers
Thread started 02 Dec 2014 (Tuesday) 21:48
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Surface Pro 3 review

Neilyb
Cream of the Crop
Joined Sep 2005
Munich
Dec 15, 2014 02:50 |  #61

Quick question on USB hubs. Is there a USB hub exisitng that can be powed via a USB chargerport? I ask only as the SP3 power unit has a port for charging and could help with connecting 2 devices...

http://natureimmortal.​blogspot.comexternal link

http://www.natureimmor​tal.comexternal link

sponsored links
Neilyb
Cream of the Crop
Joined Sep 2005
Munich
Dec 15, 2014 05:03 |  #62

Or better still could I power the USB3 HDD with a Y type cable connected to the power port of the power supply (with an extension cable)?

RHChan84
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,320 posts
Joined Apr 2011
Mass
Dec 15, 2014 15:11 |  #63

Not to my knowledge. Your splitting the power output from one USB to three so it won't do much. But I am able to power up a USB3 external HD so give that a try first.

But if you search Amazon, you can find the y-type cable. I believe I searched "Y USB cable" and found it. Just didn't buy it because in picking up a dock instead.

Canon (60D Gripped | 18-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS | 40mm f2.8 | 50mm f1.8 | 70-200 F4L IS| 430 EXII)
Tamron (17-50 f2.8 VC)
Feedback
Facebookexternal link

flickrexternal link

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,715 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by CyberDyneSystems.
Dec 15, 2014 15:33 |  #64

Neilyb wrote in post #17309191external link
Interesting read. I am currently thinking over a Macbook Air and he only lightweight windows alternate is the SP3... ..

Lenova Yoga Pro 3 is lighter than the Macbook Air FYI.
The Pro2 is now available for under $900.00 with the 3 out.

I haven't tried the Lenova with a USB hub, but it has 3 USB ports (I think maybe 4?) at least three. which have worked fine with external USB powered HD and card readers. It has SD built in of course.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Neilyb
Cream of the Crop
Joined Sep 2005
Munich
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by Neilyb.
Dec 16, 2014 02:03 |  #65

OK guys. I will order the Ycable and an extension to reach the socket should it be on the floor or something. Was not sure if that might supply too much powers to just a HDD enclosure or HDD.

Looked at the Yoga Jake but the specs where underwhelming. Win 8.1 on a 32GB system with 2GB RAM? The surface is a great performer just that damn single USB port.

Neilyb
Cream of the Crop
Joined Sep 2005
Munich
Dec 17, 2014 14:06 |  #66

Tried a USB HDD with and without a y-cable and it works using the power port on the supply, through a hub. So I have ordered the USB3 y-cable.

DTBaan
"male gigolo"
13,312 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Joined Apr 2011
Dec 19, 2014 00:12 |  #67

saw this tip setup for adobe for the surface if you need to view tools at a larger scale.

https://photographylif​e.com ...erface-scaling#more-98593external link

Support this site - donate here

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,715 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Post has been last edited over 2 years ago by CyberDyneSystems. 2 edits done in total.
Dec 19, 2014 18:35 |  #68

Neilyb wrote in post #17335393external link
Looked at the Yoga Jake but the specs where underwhelming. Win 8.1 on a 32GB system with 2GB RAM? The surface is a great performer just that damn single USB port.

Er?
Either 256GB or 512GB SSD, and 8GB System ram, just like the Surface Pro 3.
I got the 256 model as I am happy plugging in externals for capacity/images.
The Pro 2 had an i7 but the Pro3 with it's intel M has longer (7 hours) battery life.

I didn't realize I'm late here, as you got the Surface, but I think you were looking at something else.

LINKexternal link <-----

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Neilyb
Cream of the Crop
Joined Sep 2005
Munich
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by Neilyb.
Dec 20, 2014 06:10 |  #69

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #17342036external link
Er?
Either 256GB or 512GB SSD, and 8GB System ram, just like the Surface Pro 3.
I got the 256 model as I am happy plugging in externals for capacity/images.
The Pro 2 had an i7 but the Pro3 with it's intel M has longer (7 hours) battery life.

I didn't realize I'm late here, as you got the Surface, but I think you were looking at something else.

LINKexternal link <-----

Thanks for the link. All the Yoga's I had looked at were the underpowered models, I was not totally sold on them and would still not have bought one due to the weight. 800g for an i5 tablet is light and what I really wanted was lightweight. Keyboard can travel in luggage if I really need it.

Now I just did a quick test with the USB 3 y-cable. Copied 800x CF card to a My Passport HDD at upto 101MBs but copied to a Samsung SSD in Anker housing at 93MBs.... :o

MrDurden1978
25 posts
Joined Jul 2010
NJ
Feb 12, 2015 07:51 |  #70

Ive been using Macs for 15 years. I had iPads but was never really impressed. i wanted a tablet that you can run full versions of lightroom and photoshop and use the pen on the actual screen to edit with. Surface pro 3 had me sold. Made the switch a couple of days ago. Went with i5 8 gig version. I have no idea how to use windows but I'm slowly figuring it out. Bought a TB external HDD with it so no problems with space. I really like this Surface, lightweight, pretty powerful for what I do. The battery life could be better. I feel like my battery is even draining when its asleep. I get maybe 5-6 hours between full charges. And thats with everyday life use like checking email, maybe watching a couple youtube videos, some netflix, editing photos in LR and or PS. Playing music, ETC...

In a nutshell totally happy with my surface pro 3. I truly recommend getting one. Even if your a Mac guy.

Scott

RHChan84
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,320 posts
Joined Apr 2011
Mass
Feb 12, 2015 22:22 |  #71

MrDurden1978 wrote in post #17428460external link
Ive been using Macs for 15 years. I had iPads but was never really impressed. i wanted a tablet that you can run full versions of lightroom and photoshop and use the pen on the actual screen to edit with. Surface pro 3 had me sold. Made the switch a couple of days ago. Went with i5 8 gig version. I have no idea how to use windows but I'm slowly figuring it out. Bought a TB external HDD with it so no problems with space. I really like this Surface, lightweight, pretty powerful for what I do. The battery life could be better. I feel like my battery is even draining when its asleep. I get maybe 5-6 hours between full charges. And thats with everyday life use like checking email, maybe watching a couple youtube videos, some netflix, editing photos in LR and or PS. Playing music, ETC...

In a nutshell totally happy with my surface pro 3. I truly recommend getting one. Even if your a Mac guy.

For watching movies on the plane, I get about 6-7 hours easily with 40% brightness and using VLC player. The only thing I do wish for in the SP3 is a full size SD card reader since they make them up to 256GB for more storage.

SP4 is coming out and its rumored to run the Intel-M processor which should improve battery by up to 25% but the tradeoff is a M processor which is made for battery life and not as much on performance. M pro essor is plenty but photo editing is questionable for me so I jumped on the SP3 when they had a sale.

Canon (60D Gripped | 18-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS | 40mm f2.8 | 50mm f1.8 | 70-200 F4L IS| 430 EXII)
Tamron (17-50 f2.8 VC)
Feedback
Facebookexternal link

flickrexternal link

karobinson
Goldmember
1,230 posts
Joined Feb 2008
Alaska
Feb 13, 2015 00:31 as a reply to CyberDyneSystems's post |  #72

Thanks for this info Jake on the Lenova vs Surface. You changed my mind. Well you convinced me to go investigate further anyway. I am ordering mine tomorrow (Yoga 3 /14). I definitely want the card reader and the i7 processor without the fear of over heating. I need to be able to transfer photos from card to usb in the field without hiccups.

Plus I have an awesome Bluetooth keyboard now for my IPAD 3 that I never use because ... well... where did I put it the last time I got pissed off that it fell off? Ya ...that's another good reason. Keyboard should be attached, lighted and not weigh a ton.

I did want a nice pen system though...I am not sure Surface Pro has that fixed yet even. Have you found anything that works with the Lenova in this regards or is that just something I am not going to get?

Ann Robinson:)
My Gear: bunch of stuff;....some I love ... some I hate ... some I can't live without..loving my 5d3...

MrDurden1978
25 posts
Joined Jul 2010
NJ
Feb 13, 2015 14:24 as a reply to RHChan84's post |  #73

I usually always have the screen brightness around 30-40%. It would be nice to have a built in SD card reader for sure.. i never really minded having a USB card reader though. Plus I already had one.

Scott

RHChan84
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,320 posts
Joined Apr 2011
Mass
Feb 13, 2015 17:01 |  #74

MrDurden1978 wrote in post #17430528external link
I usually always have the screen brightness around 30-40%. It would be nice to have a built in SD card reader for sure.. i never really minded having a USB card reader though. Plus I already had one.

SD card reader is nice to expand the storage. 256 GB SD card is much cheaper then a 128 MicroSD and more reliable which is the biggest concern for me.

Overall I am happy with my SP3.

Tamron (17-50 f2.8 VC)
Feedback
Facebookexternal link

flickrexternal link

MedicineMan4040
The Magic Johnson of Cameras
Joined Jul 2013
Feb 14, 2015 19:11 |  #75

Confused.....
Say a Surface Pro 3 i5 256gb lands in my lap tomorrow.
I have LR5 but cant find the disk even if I ever had one.
How do I load LR5 onto it?
Thoughts/clues appreciated.

flickr (external link)
Vid Collection: https://www.youtube.co​m/user/medicineman4040 (external link)

sponsored links

14,917 views & 5 likes for this thread
Surface Pro 3 review
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.