Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Food Photography & Visual Recipes
Thread started 09 Jan 2015 (Friday) 09:41
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Critique / suggestions

vanilli
Joined Jul 2014
Jan 09, 2015 09:41 |  #1

I've never tried food photography before, but I like the concept. This is my first 2 pictures of this, would very much like to get some inputs on how to improve.

Light is from window/overcast weather today. Lens: 35mm

This first one I like the best
f7.1, 1/200, iso 3200

IMAGE: https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8649/15616109994_b2208b0f3b_o.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/pMWD​rL] (external link)mad fotografering (external link) by What Up Dog (external link), on Flickr

Second I can't really put my finger on. Maybe the onion should be left side bottom, pointing up instead. Something about the light I don't like, maybe there is just not enough shadows on the onion? I tried some different "poses" but this was my best.

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/png'
mad fotografering (external link) by What Up Dog (external link), on Flickr

sponsored links
OhLook
Spiderwoman
15,263 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Joined Dec 2012
California: SF Bay Area
Jan 09, 2015 11:26 |  #2

Agree, the first one is better. The light gives it an Old Masters quality. Having two onions makes it an arrangement, so it doesn't look like "I plopped something in front of the camera and took its picture."

The second one is top-heavy. You can rotate it to evaluate other orientations. The granular material in the bowl suggests debris that wasn't cleaned out, rather than something that naturally belongs with an onion. Nice color combination, though.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS FOR YOU: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.) | IMAGE EDITING OK

vanilli
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jul 2014
Jan 09, 2015 11:45 |  #3

OhLook wrote in post #17373960 (external link)
Agree, the first one is better. The light gives it an Old Masters quality. Having two onions makes it an arrangement, so it doesn't look like "I plopped something in front of the camera and took its picture."

The second one is top-heavy. You can rotate it to evaluate other orientations. The granular material in the bowl suggests debris that wasn't cleaned out, rather than something that naturally belongs with an onion. Nice color combination, though.

Good points, thank you! When you wrote "heavy", I saw it, and tried a very different crop (had to brush black on right side to get it to fit, too much but just to give myself an idea).
My kitchen is awfully empty lol, but I will see if I can do something more realistic with the granular tomorrow, when the sun is back.

IMAGE: https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8593/16051834578_c0058502b5_o.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/qsrR​bA] (external link)mad (external link) by What Up Dog (external link), on Flickr

tcphoto1
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2005
Madison, Ga
Jan 09, 2015 11:48 |  #4

I specialize in food images and I find that styling is the second most important element to a successful image. I prefer the second image and believe that a linen or piece of flatware in the empty space would complete the image. Keep working at it, it takes time to develop a sense of style.

www.tonyclarkphoto.comexternal link
www.tcphoto.orgexternal link

vanilli
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jul 2014
Jan 09, 2015 12:26 |  #5

tcphoto1 wrote in post #17373988external link
I specialize in food images and I find that styling is the second most important element to a successful image. I prefer the second image and believe that a linen or piece of flatware in the empty space would complete the image. Keep working at it, it takes time to develop a sense of style.

Great idea - thank you :)

Lupo-Lobo
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2013
Texas
Jan 10, 2015 01:59 |  #6

Good advice from tcphoto1 - I like the second image as well.

Lupo

vanilli
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jul 2014
Jan 10, 2015 15:36 |  #7

Tried again, this time with artificial light. My kitchen are awfully empty these days, but for now I am just trying to understand the basics in food/ingredients photography.

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7532/16062485899_d3f563869e_o.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/qtor​s4] (external link)food photography (external link) by What Up Dog (external link), on Flickr

Mikelangelo
Goldmember
1,256 posts
Joined Nov 2005
West Chicago, United States
Jan 10, 2015 16:32 |  #8

Very nice. I really like the light and texture and boldness of the dark background. The tones look very earthy and I really like these.

nice job!

--
Photoblogexternal link
7d::17-50 f/2.8::100 Macro

vanilli
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jul 2014
Jan 10, 2015 16:49 |  #9

Mikelangelo wrote in post #17375977external link
Very nice. I really like the light and texture and boldness of the dark background. The tones look very earthy and I really like these.

nice job!

Thank you! :)

amairphoto
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2007
Las Vegas
Feb 16, 2015 22:54 |  #10

I think these are definitely in the right direction, just need a bit more on the lighting to help out.

My Website: http://www.amairphoto.​com (external link)
flickr (external link)

sponsored links

2,649 views & 7 likes for this thread
Critique / suggestions
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Food Photography & Visual Recipes

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.