Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sample Photo Archives Lens Sample Photo Archive
Thread started 13 Dec 2013 (Friday) 23:44
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Tamron SP 150-600mm Di VC USD

sirquack
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
Feb 20, 2015 08:33 |  #6316

A couple of things. Recrisp, I like Peter always have my lens set for full focus range. Since the two ranges are under 15m and over 15m, I just let it use the whole range. But I like Peter am confused about the problem you are experiencing since one I catch focus on an object, it seems to keep focus on that. I use AI Servo and once it locks, it stays locked unless I come off the BBF button and find another object for it to track. While it is not fastest focusing lens, to me the 85 1.8 is that lens for me, this lens still seems to focus reasonably quickly. Given I don't have the 400 you have and it is supposed to be a great BIF lens, this one has not let me down.
Now Wagaboo, I too was worried when I heard people say it is a great lens for the money, I spent a great deal of time doing research and found that in a majority of cases, this lens is reviewed by people who use the lenses as as sharp, or almost as sharp as lenses made by Canon and Nikon. So not regarding the money, there are very few lenses that even reach this far, and when they do, this lens is on par with those lenses. And they cost CONSIDERABLY more.
So get the lens, you will be very happy with it I am certain.

Name is Ron.
Camera Bodies - T3i/(6D/7D2)-Gripped : Light - Yongnuo 565 EX/Mettle 600 Strobe
Lenses - Canon 17-40 F4/24-70 F2.8/85 F1.8/Canon 70-200 F4/Sigma 30 DC/Tamron 150-600
Flickr (external link)
Edit photos as needed

sponsored links
archer1960
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2010
Feb 20, 2015 09:04 |  #6317

okieplainsdrifter wrote in post #17440078external link
Finally got a chance to point this lens at the night sky. 600mm @7.1 for 30 seconds.

Single shot, or did you do some stacking?

Gripped 7D, gripped, full-spectrum modfied T1i (500D), SX50HS, A2E film body, Tamzooka (150-600), Tamron 90mm/2.8 VC (ver 2), Tamron 18-270 VC, Canon FD 100 f/4.0 macro, Canon 24-105 f/4L,Canon EF 200 f/2.8LII, Canon 85 f/1.8, Tamron Adaptall 2 90mmf/2.5 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Canon EX-430 flash, Vivitar DF-383 flash, Astro-Tech AT6RC and Celestron NexStar 102 GT telescopes, various other semi-crappy manual lenses and stuff.

wagaboo
Joined Jun 2007
Spokane Washington
Feb 20, 2015 09:26 |  #6318

recrisp wrote in post #17440444external link
Tim, (wagaboo)

Although you may think that since I have posted a problem with mine, I wouldn't hesitate to buy this again, it's that good. I will admit, there is a learning curve to this, and I wish I could tell you what that curve will be like, but it's something that you just have to 'feel' for yourself, I think.

At first, I hated this lens, I was close to selling it, but this thread made me rethink that, seeing so many good shots made me wonder if it was me, not it, and it turns out, I'm happy to report, that it was me. Early on I was told that it does its best on a full-frame camera, so I went out with my 5D mkII and shot a lot of birds, in-flight, and some static, I came back with all blurry shots. Disappointed, I felt like I had made a mistake, but I then tried it on my 1D mkIV, it was better, but still not good, but I persevered, I kept looking on here, reading and watching, then I got better at them, I started to actually like it. Around 1 month ago I bought a 7D mkII, I saw a HUGE improvement, then I Micro-focus Adjusted (MFA) the lens to the 7D mkII and I could not believe how sharp my shots were, most times I don't need to sharpen them at all. My 1D mkIV shots ALL needed to be sharpened though, but I haven't be able to MFA it yet, it's still at Canon right now.

The bad about this lens to me is...
It does have some slight color fringing on the outer edges when looked at 100%
It's not a really fast focusing lens, you 'can' do birds in flight, but it's just not as fast as other lenses.
(The 'possible' problem of the Limiter-Switch I am experiencing now, it may just be either me, or the lens)

The good though outweighs all of the above...
It's SHARP! Mine is sometimes 'too sharp', I promise, I have actually had to tone a few shots down so they didn't appear too sharp. (I don't know if anyone else has seen this)
This lens is sharp all the way out to 600mm on mine, I know others have said theirs wasn't. (I did do a MFA on mine though, which made it super sharp close and at a distance)
Others may say it's a heavy lens, to me it's VERY lightweight, my 400mm f/2.8 weighs a lot more than this one, so I am happy, and I can carry it all day long without any problems.
The color rendition is very good.
It's made very well.
I LOVE this lens, I love it more than my 400mm (almost), I do, but the only drawback to my 400mm is that it is so heavy, other than that, it's perfect, if it were as lightweight as the Tamron, I'd never have need to buy the Tamron. :)

I really doubt that you'd regret the purchase, I know that some did send theirs back in the early days, and they may have had a bad one, but that isn't happening any longer that I see, at least as much as it was in the beginning. Just make sure that you have the latest version so you won't have to send it to Tamron to adjust.

Randy

Randy, thank you very much for pushing me over the cliff on this one and I know most lenses take work and I think my hard work put into the old Sigma lens (170-500) will not be in vain and I also did quite well in learning my Canon 70-300 and produced IMO some really nice BIF Bald eagle shots.
Thanks again as your opinion and experience is appreciated :)
Thanks
Tim

Will ­ in ­ Tejas
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2014
Central Texas
Feb 20, 2015 09:45 |  #6319

recrisp wrote in post #17440453external link
Really nice shots, Bill, I think that the eagle looks pretty dang good for the distance you shot it at, I know I'd be happy with that. I'm shooting the same camera as you also.
I need to go and check out your Flickr some more too! :)

Randy

Thanks Randy, I was surprised honestly considering the distance. I'm still working on figuring out this lens on the 7DmkII but will. The longer I use it the better things come together.

Bill being Smug (external link)

recrisp
Goldmember
Joined May 2008
Paris, Texas
Feb 20, 2015 10:23 |  #6320

sirquack wrote in post #17440548external link
A couple of things. Recrisp, I like Peter always have my lens set for full focus range. Since the two ranges are under 15m and over 15m, I just let it use the whole range. But I like Peter am confused about the problem you are experiencing since one I catch focus on an object, it seems to keep focus on that. I use AI Servo and once it locks, it stays locked unless I come off the BBF button and find another object for it to track. While it is not fastest focusing lens, to me the 85 1.8 is that lens for me, this lens still seems to focus reasonably quickly. Given I don't have the 400 you have and it is supposed to be a great BIF lens, this one has not let me down.

Ron,

Well, that is strange, but not totally unexpected. :) I wonder how many of you have the ability to shoot 'all the way through' on this lens. Maybe it's something that I did, but I don't think so, it's been this way since day one. It may be a setting that I use that nobody else uses, I don't know, I have tried it on 3 cameras and they all do this...
When the focus does lock, it locks very well, I was really amazed at how it locked onto stuff and stayed with it when I used my 1D mkIV, so maybe it's a camera setting. I am not all that familiar with the proper settings on the 7D mkII, although for me, so far, it appears to be correct, or close anyway. :) Like you, I use AI Servo, I always have on all of my cameras.
One thing I did that I know of the other day was, I left my VC on, while it was on a tripod, I KNOW that was not the right thing, but I never use a tripod, so I forgot. That would explain a lot there, but, all of the other times when I don't use one, it does the same thing. I got very good, sharp shots while it was on a tripod the other day, using the Limiter-switch close and infinity, it really only screwed up if I shot something at a distance when it was set to "close". I can understand that too, the VC was probably trying to do its job.
Anyway, I hope it's me, I'd love to be able to finally figure this out and get down to business. :)
I will mess with this more after I get my 1D mkIV back 'soon', or so they say, that way maybe I can narrow it down better, I'll let y'all know what I find out too.

Thank you Ron for your comment and your time.

Randy

Gear List
flickr (external link)

recrisp
Goldmember
Joined May 2008
Paris, Texas
Feb 20, 2015 10:25 |  #6321

okieplainsdrifter wrote in post #17440510external link
I used a skytracker unit to track the Orion nebula. I just had to try the 150-600 to see how it worked. The astrophotography forum has some threads on the tracker. I used a 7d mk 2. Thanks, it turned out better than I thought it would!

Thanks, Okie, I really appreciate that information. I have the iOptron and thought you might be using that. :)
The shots you do look good!

Thank you!

Randy

Gear List
flickr (external link)

recrisp
Goldmember
Joined May 2008
Paris, Texas
Feb 20, 2015 10:28 |  #6322

wagaboo wrote in post #17440653external link
Randy, thank you very much for pushing me over the cliff on this one and I know most lenses take work and I think my hard work put into the old Sigma lens (170-500) will not be in vain and I also did quite well in learning my Canon 70-300 and produced IMO some really nice BIF Bald eagle shots.
Thanks again as your opinion and experience is appreciated :)
Thanks
Tim

No problem at all, Tim, I really enjoy pushing people off of high places! :-P
Feel free at any time to contact me with any questions, or for that matter, any of us would probably be more than happy to help you out. This should be great for Bald Eagles, I have not had that luxury yet, but maybe someday I will shoot one. :)

Randy

Gear List
flickr (external link)

recrisp
Goldmember
Joined May 2008
Paris, Texas
Feb 20, 2015 10:30 |  #6323

Will in Tejas wrote in post #17440685external link
Thanks Randy, I was surprised honestly considering the distance. I'm still working on figuring out this lens on the 7DmkII but will. The longer I use it the better things come together.

At least you're not having any problems with it all, your shots on your Flickr look pretty danged good. :)
That is a really good combo though, I can't believe how good they pair up.

Randy

Gear List
flickr (external link)

MedicineMan4040
The Magic Johnson of Cameras
Joined Jul 2013
Feb 20, 2015 11:47 |  #6324

Dusted off the 150-600 today :)

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7409/16406842869_8878d33578_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/qZPm​Mc] (external link)Chickadee against Old Man Wintert (external link) by MedicineMan4040 (external link), on Flickr

flickr (external link)
Vid Collection: https://www.youtube.co​m/user/medicineman4040 (external link)

Peter2516
Cream of the Crop
Joined Oct 2010
State of Washington
Feb 20, 2015 12:59 |  #6325

^^^Pretty good Robert.

Peter
http://www.flickriver.​com/photos/peterbangay​an (external link)
EOS 5D Mark IV, 7D Mark I & II/Canon T2i Gripped/EF 500mm f/4L IS USM MK1 / EF70-200mm f2.8L IS II USM / EF70-200 f4L USM/ EFS 10-22mm/EFS 17-55mm/EFS 18-200mm/Canon 1.4x II/Canon 2x III/ 430EXII / 580EXII

okieplainsdrifter
59 posts
Joined Oct 2008
Feb 20, 2015 13:43 |  #6326

archer1960 wrote in post #17440604external link
Single shot, or did you do some stacking?

Yes, just a single shot. As soon as the weather breaks I will stack some and see what I can get out of this lens.

MedicineMan4040
The Magic Johnson of Cameras
Joined Jul 2013
Feb 20, 2015 14:17 |  #6327

Okie, I dabble a bit in astro; in fact just got some plates for a permanent pier in the back yard for my Advanced VX.
Your shot with the 150-600 is OVER THE TOP !!
Can't wait until you can stack some.

flickr (external link)
Vid Collection: https://www.youtube.co​m/user/medicineman4040 (external link)

okieplainsdrifter
59 posts
Joined Oct 2008
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by okieplainsdrifter.
Feb 20, 2015 17:08 |  #6328

MedicineMan4040 wrote in post #17441129external link
Okie, I dabble a bit in astro; in fact just got some plates for a permanent pier in the back yard for my Advanced VX.
Your shot with the 150-600 is OVER THE TOP !!
Can't wait until you can stack some.

Thank you medicine man! Considering its a 300 dollar tracker, I'm very happy with the results!
I misposted. It was a one minute exposure.

NCSA197
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2011
Western NY State
Feb 20, 2015 21:12 |  #6329

The Moon tonight. Nothing quite as clear as a winter sky on a cold night.

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7288/16596973025_a276088b68_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/rhBP​Rk] (external link)Crescent Moon (external link) by David Fehrman (external link), on Flickr

Flickrexternal link

Peter2516
Cream of the Crop
Joined Oct 2010
State of Washington
Feb 21, 2015 01:02 |  #6330

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7291/16597811092_bc4b99317d_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/rhG7​YL] (external link)Bald Eagle (external link) by Peter Bangayan (external link), on Flickr

Peter
http://www.flickriver.​com/photos/peterbangay​an (external link)
EOS 5D Mark IV, 7D Mark I & II/Canon T2i Gripped/EF 500mm f/4L IS USM MK1 / EF70-200mm f2.8L IS II USM / EF70-200 f4L USM/ EFS 10-22mm/EFS 17-55mm/EFS 18-200mm/Canon 1.4x II/Canon 2x III/ 430EXII / 580EXII

sponsored links

1,629,074 views & 5594 likes for this thread
Tamron SP 150-600mm Di VC USD
FORUMS Sample Photo Archives Lens Sample Photo Archive

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.