Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions
Thread started 15 Sep 2014 (Monday) 13:55
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

5D Mark IV announcement after March 2015

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2008
Melbourne, Australia
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by Shadowblade.
Feb 22, 2015 17:14 |  #31

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #17443821external link
just posted to canon rumors

http://www.canonrumors​.com/forum/index.php?t​opic=25242.0external link

"We’re told the following specifications are for a camera that may turn out to be the EOS 5D Mark IV, but for the moment it is just a test camera that may never get to market in this form. We’re expecting a replacement to the EOS 5D Mark III some time in the final quarter of 2015.

A camera currently being tested specifications

18mp Full Frame CMOS
ISO 100-204,800
61 AF Points (all crosstype)
12fps
Dual CFast
4K Video Capture

It was stressed that the above is NOT the EOS-1D X Mark II. There will be a quantum leap in fps, dynamic range and a bump in resolution for that camera. We’re told that there’s a possibility that a replacement to the EOS 5D Mark III could be called the EOS 5D X, but no final decision has been made on that.

I stress again that this is a reported test camera that may never come to market, and it is unknown how old this test camera is."

That's no longer a general-purpose camera, but an action camera that can't replace the 5D3. It just doesn't have enough resolution. Although they may have more leeway in that direction - now that they have the 5Ds to take care of those with higher resolution requirements, they can reposition the 5D4 to cater more towards those who don't care about resolution at all.

I'm not impressed by the arbitrarily high maximum ISO number, though. Anyone can position that as high or as low as they like. At high ISO, the DR-to-ISO curve is linear - ISO 6400 pushed four stops will look exactly the same as ISO 102400 on the same camera, and there's no penalty to simply underexposing and pushing if the camera doesn't natively allow for such a high ISO. The only thing that matters is the signal-to-noise ratio, which determines how clean the image will look at any given ISO in the first place.

Also, why push the DR in the 1Dx II, which will be an action camera? It's the 5Ds landscape/studio/archi​tecture/still life camera which needs DR, not the action-oriented 1Dx.

sponsored links
dolina
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,795 posts
Joined Mar 2009
Feb 22, 2015 23:22 |  #32

I will not talk about the image sensor, ISO range, AF system, fps and video resolution as they may be just for a test mule.

What I will talk about is the use of CFast.

I think the 5D Mark III replacement would be too "low-end" a camera to use this standard. I would really expect this to be used first on any of the Cinema EOS bodies or even a 1-Series body before trickling down to the 5-Series body.

Then again, I may be wrong.

Dual UDMA 7 CF cards with a minimum write/read of 1000x would be more my thing assuming built-in WiFi is present. But then again I am being selfish a I only want to deal with one memory card standard for EOS bodies.

If you are to visit BHPhoto.comexternal link today there are only 3 brands of CFast cards namely Lexar, Sandisk and Atmos.

Lexar sells 4 different capacities, Atmos 2 different capacities and SanDisk only one.

Cheapest card starts at $159 for a 64GB CFast card from Atomos with a read speed of 200MB/s and write speed of 80MB/s.

Highest end card sells for $1,067.99 for a 256GB CFast from Lexar with a read speed of 510MB/s with no write speed indicated. It has yet to be released.

Pricing will change from today until the day the 5D Mark III replacement are bought by end-users but I do not think it will change by much.

In 2012 Canon and Phase Oneexternal link gave public support to this memory card standard.

AFAIK none of them have produced a product using this standard.

In 2014 ARRI, Canon, Hasselblad, PhaseOne and Leica, and video technology pioneers, Atomos and Blackmagic Designexternal link gave public support to this memory card standard.

AFAIK ARRI and Atomos & Blackmagic Design sell products supporting the standard.

Visit my Flickrexternal link, Facebookexternal link & 500pxexternal link and see my photos. :)

smythie
I wasn't even trying
Joined Jun 2009
Sydney - Australia
Feb 23, 2015 03:08 |  #33

Shadowblade wrote in post #17444474external link
Also, why push the DR in the 1Dx II, which will be an action camera?

For all of the reasons you have previously put forward in long-dead debates on DR. For sports shooters there are plenty of situations where you might have dark/shaded areas in an image that you might want to lift (e.g. a shaded area of a dark-skinned or clothed athlete in an otherwise bright arena, the underside of a dark bird, etc).

Gear List

gregpc1
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined Oct 2012
Feb 23, 2015 03:34 |  #34

for me it would have to have

The AF of the Nikon D750
The Dynamic range of the Nikon D750 / D800
Dual SD card slots
FPS of at least 6ps..like the D750
A price tag of under £1500 new.....

Hold on......why not just get the D750 lol

in all seriousness, as a wedding photographer I need fast, lights, DR, AF at a great price and at the moment the leader in this is the Nikon D750

As a canon shooter for many years they really have to step up a gear to compete (at keast in what I use the camera for)

rgds

waylandcool
Joined Jun 2007
Far NW Suburbs of Chicago
Feb 23, 2015 11:09 |  #35

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #17443821external link
just posted to canon rumors

http://www.canonrumors​.com/forum/index.php?t​opic=25242.0external link

"We’re told the following specifications are for a camera that may turn out to be the EOS 5D Mark IV, but for the moment it is just a test camera that may never get to market in this form. We’re expecting a replacement to the EOS 5D Mark III some time in the final quarter of 2015.

A camera currently being tested specifications

18mp Full Frame CMOS
ISO 100-204,800
61 AF Points (all crosstype)
12fps
Dual CFast
4K Video Capture

It was stressed that the above is NOT the EOS-1D X Mark II. There will be a quantum leap in fps, dynamic range and a bump in resolution for that camera. We’re told that there’s a possibility that a replacement to the EOS 5D Mark III could be called the EOS 5D X, but no final decision has been made on that.

I stress again that this is a reported test camera that may never come to market, and it is unknown how old this test camera is."

Bump the MP up to 24mp and cut the frame rate in half and that's a nice 5D replacement. Those specs look closer to a sports camera than a full frame.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Feb 23, 2015 11:47 as a reply to waylandcool's post |  #36

yup, i don't believe for a minute those are the specs. Interesting set up though.

someone in the CR forum was speculating that it could be a multilayer sensor. In which case it might be more plausible.

:twisted:

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

bikfoto
Alexander the Wannabe
420 posts
Joined Jan 2013
Los Angeles, CA
Feb 23, 2015 12:41 |  #37

I don't think we'll see a lower resolution on any Canon camera going forward. I do think that 5D IV will be at the 24-26mpx range with top in class low light performance. Going smaller would absolutely kill any thought of competing with the likes of D810.

Don't trust CanonRumors that much :)

bikfotoexternal link
Need a WEBSITE?external link
Gear & Feedback
flickrexternal link

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,072 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005
Northern VA
Feb 23, 2015 12:48 |  #38

I've been reading up on the Canon executives and what they are looking to. Canon has to keep up, but the technology is changing so slow and so quickly at the same time. I predict that Canon will come out with the new 5DIV in 2 years and it will be a great camera, and we will all argue about it. Many of us will buy one anyway, even if we love what we have already.

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, 7D2, SL1, G12, iPad Pro, iPhone 6P, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

gjl711
They have pills for that now you know.
53,252 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Deep in the heart of Texas
Feb 23, 2015 13:01 |  #39

bikfoto wrote in post #17445862external link
I don't think we'll see a lower resolution on any Canon camera going forward. I do think that 5D IV will be at the 24-26mpx range with top in class low light performance. Going smaller would absolutely kill any thought of competing with the likes of D810.

Don't trust CanonRumors that much :)

I think that the 5Dx is Canon's answer to the 810. If there is a new 5D it's competition is the 750, not the 810.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Feb 23, 2015 13:04 |  #40

gjl711 wrote in post #17445898external link
I think that the 5Dx is Canon's answer to the 810. If there is a new 5D it's competition is the 750, not the 810.

5Ds?

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

gjl711
They have pills for that now you know.
53,252 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Deep in the heart of Texas
Feb 23, 2015 13:25 |  #41

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #17445908external link
5Ds?

Whoops, yup, that one.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2008
Melbourne, Australia
Feb 23, 2015 19:35 |  #42

gjl711 wrote in post #17445898external link

Somewhat true at this stage, although whether it remains that way depends on the frame rate and high-ISO performance of the D810's successor.

Top-level AF, dual card slots and other pro features are a given in both the Nikon and the Canon. If Nikon manages to maintain at least 6fps and decent high-ISO performance while increasing the resolution to around 50MP and keeping the price point the same, the 5D4 will also have to compete against the D810's successor, since it would then also fulfil every role that the 5D3 is currently used for.

MrDurden1978
25 posts
Joined Jul 2010
NJ
Feb 26, 2015 07:24 |  #43

god i hope this camera doesn't come out anytime soon. I'm not looking forward to being broke..

Scott

NASS ­ Photo
Goldmember
1,553 posts
Joined Jun 2009
Westmoreland Co., PA
Feb 27, 2015 08:06 |  #44

MrDurden1978 wrote in post #17450600external link
god i hope this camera doesn't come out anytime soon. I'm not looking forward to being broke..

+1. 5DM4, 5Ds, 1Dx2. I want them all, but can't afford them, at this time.

NickS

Canon 5DMIII; Canon EF35mm, f/1.4L; EF85mm, f/1.8; EF135mm, f/2.0L; EF200mm, f/2.8L.

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
Joined Oct 2007
Gig Harbor, Washington
Mar 03, 2015 09:30 |  #45

1Dx will get the update first. Anything they do to the current 5D3 as far as upgrades goes will put the camera in 1Dx territory.

ISO- 5D3 is about 1/2 stop behind the 1Dx
FPS- 7D2 solves that for may in daylight shooting conditions

Think about it

They would have to put the same AF system in a 5D4 as they did the 7D2-- that puts the current 5D3 in 1Dx land less build factor and 1/3 stop iso performance

They will do nothing to the 5D series until they blow everyone away with the next 1Dx update. This 18MP sensor leak looks so much like a revised 1Dx sensor going in a 5D3 body...there's a big surprise.

stop with the BS canon. Fix the sensors in darks and shadows. Get it to D4s territory. otherwise i sticking with the current 5D3's

Mike
www.umphotography.comexternal link
GEAR LIST
Facebookexternal link

sponsored links

45,317 views & 24 likes for this thread
5D Mark IV announcement after March 2015
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.