Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 27 Feb 2015 (Friday) 06:31
Prev/next
Poll"What Color Is This Dress? (White/Gold or Black/Blue)"
White/Gold
55%
Blue/Gold
10%
Blue/Black
35%

60 voters, 60 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

What Color Is This Dress? (White/Gold or Black/Blue)

Nogo
I could have been worse....
Joined Dec 2013
All Along the Natchez Trace (Clinton, MS)
Feb 27, 2015 14:28 |  #31

I see it one way and it has not changed except for the differences on the different sites.

It is a muddy quite dark gold and light blue somewhat violet dress. I don't see either black and blue or gold and white.

Philip
Does the TF actually know about the soda cans and PVC pipe from 30 years ago?

sponsored links
koala ­ yummies
Joined Oct 2008
Los Angeles
Feb 27, 2015 14:35 |  #32

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #17452666external link
"too many shots", i guess so.  :p

seriously though, before i showed up at POTN this morning and saw this post, i was thinking the same thing. i saw it blue on the news and here before posting, but then after posting it was completely different. I mean, i'm not the kind of guy to say "I'm scared, hold me." for no reason.

BTW, has everyone seen the twirling dancer gif from a few years ago? the same but different, just the brain's perception. I can make it switch directions fairly easily.

http://en.wikipedia.or​g/wiki/File:Spinning_D​ancer.gifexternal link

LOL ok that is freaky. At first I only saw counterclockwise rotation, then I read the description tried the focusing techniques and now I see clockwise. And now I can flip back and fourth. Mind = blown.

flickrexternal link

benji25
Joined Jan 2010
Twin Cities
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by benji25.
Feb 27, 2015 14:58 |  #33

TooManyShots wrote in post #17452656external link
This is so stupid (I mean the whole dress and color thing)...a poorly lit subject taken with a crappy cell phone camera, adding a poorly color corrected monitor, and the world has to decide what colors are the dresses..hahahahahaha.​......

I think the whole point it that people look at the exact same image and see white and blue. We all know white balance throws things off in an image but it doesn't explain why two people process the same information two different ways.

In all of the examples we have seen (i.e. images similar to the dress image) you put the object in two images next to each other and it looks different because of the context of the surrounding area but it isn't. However now take one image of those away and to have such a vast majority see two different colors is perplexing.

It the XKCD comic above - if you took away one of the images I think most people here would agree on the color of the dress.

Websiteexternal link
flickrexternal link

travisvwright
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2013
NC
Feb 27, 2015 14:59 |  #34

lol at mouse over text.

I come here for your expert opinion. Please do not hesitate to critique or edit.
70D, T3i, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC, Canon 50 1.4, Canon 100 2.8 Macro, Canon 85 1.8, Canon 10-18 4.5 STM

Franklin NC Photographer Travis Wright (external link)

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
17,741 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Mar 2006
S.F. Bay Area
Feb 27, 2015 17:57 |  #35

the funny thing is all the mentions of the white balance being off...it's really not that off, it's off if you are thinking the dress is white...but it's not white, it's a totally dark blue

here's the other pic that the woman posted along with it...after looking at this for a few seconds, when i went back and looked at the original photo, it became blue and black...it's a brain thing, not a color/white balance thing

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)
my 366 for 2016 (external link)

tagnal
Goldmember
1,253 posts
Joined Aug 2010
Bay Area, CA
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by tagnal.
Feb 27, 2015 18:10 |  #36

I've only been able to see blue and black. I've tried looking at it on 7 different monitors (some calibrated some not) and 6 different mobile devices. Looking with no ambient lighting in the room I'm in, with tungsten lighting, daylight balanced lighting, sunlight, shade, etc. I am unable to make it appear white and gold.

I think why it is hard for me is because I look at the image as a whole, and the first thing I think (thanks to photo editing) is the wb is off. The lighting looks very warm, so I naturally see colors and assume they are supposed to be cooler and darker. The image also looks a bit over exposed, which also when corrected would look darker and richer in color. Also, looking at the image posted in web articles, the image is posted on a white background. That is my basis for white, and there is no way that the color of the dress matches the white of the webpage background. It is distinctly blue.

For those who say that there is a blue tint which is being reflected from the white dress, that is false because we would see blue in other areas of the image as well, but if you look at the thing to her left, it is white and black with a hint of beige or pink and the floor shows no sign of blue being reflected anywhere. Also, if you look at the shadows on the dress itself, created by the fabric hanging from the shoulders and arms, they should not show a blue tint if it was indeed a reflection, it should appear lighter or more white, but instead it is a deeper blue, meaning that the dress is in fact blue. Also, if the black were in fact a gold color, how would that look under a blue light or tint? It would not actually be gold. It would look different. Therefore, if it was a white dress that had some reflected blue color, then the other color can't be gold. But it would be a color that looks gold when hit by a blue tint/reflection.

Also, for those who interpret the dress being in a dark shadow, and thus is why it looks a little bluish, you can clearly tell by the shadows on the dress itself that it is NOT in a shadow, and that there is direct light hitting the dress from upper camera left.

5D3 / M3 / S100 / Σ 35 Art / 50 1.8 / 135 L / 17-40 L / 24-70 L / 70-200 f/4 IS L / m 22 2.0 / 580ex II
Toy List | flickr (external link) | FAA (external link)

benji25
Joined Jan 2010
Twin Cities
Feb 27, 2015 18:30 |  #37

DreDaze wrote in post #17452909external link
the funny thing is all the mentions of the white balance being off...it's really not that off, it's off if you are thinking the dress is white...but it's not white, it's a totally dark blue

here's the other pic that the woman posted along with it...after looking at this for a few seconds, when i went back and looked at the original photo, it became blue and black...it's a brain thing, not a color/white balance thing

It is a white balance thing. I can take a picture of the White House, mess with the white balance so it looks red. Technically it is White, but it looks red. The weird thing here is that only some people see the white color and other people see blue. So in my White house example above it would be like some people seeing it as red but some still seeing it as white.

Websiteexternal link
flickrexternal link

DreDaze
17,741 posts
Joined Mar 2006
S.F. Bay Area
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by DreDaze.
Feb 27, 2015 18:39 |  #38

benji25 wrote in post #17452939external link
It is a white balance thing. I can take a picture of the White House, mess with the white balance so it looks red. Technically it is White, but it looks red. The weird thing here is that only some people see the white color and other people see blue. So in my White house example above it would be like some people seeing it as red but some still seeing it as white.

but for that to be an example that would work here, then the white house would have to be actually painted blue...and then people saying they are seeing it as white...the dress is blue, it's not white, it's nowhere close to white...

i'm curious, cause i can't see it like white with a blue tint anymore, if when you look at the white and black(looks like a cow print) dress to the side, what color is the white there, is it tinted blue as well?

Andre or Dre
gear list
flickr (external link)

OhLook
Spiderwoman
15,287 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Joined Dec 2012
California: SF Bay Area
Feb 27, 2015 19:12 |  #39

I know the dress is really dark blue, but that information doesn't make me perceive it as dark blue in the first-posted photo. I can say "This photo is obviously overexposed, just look at the background. The dress must therefore be darker in reality than it looks," but that's an inference; it doesn't change my sensation. I can't even imagine making such a color correction in my head. I understand the meanings of the words, but the mental maneuver seems impossible. The fabric looks light blue no matter what I've just been looking at, and the trim looks brown. I first saw the photo on cnn.com, where it was lighter. It gave the appearance of white fabric turned bluish by a bad WB setting, with gold trim less bronzy than here.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS FOR YOU: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.) | IMAGE EDITING OK

OhLook
Spiderwoman
15,287 posts
Joined Dec 2012
Feb 27, 2015 19:15 |  #40

DreDaze wrote in post #17452947external link
i'm curious, cause i can't see it like white with a blue tint anymore, if when you look at the white and black(looks like a cow print) dress to the side, what color is the white there, is it tinted blue as well?

No. It's creamy beige in places and white in places. The latter are probably blown out, like many areas on the right side behind the dress.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS FOR YOU: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.) | IMAGE EDITING OK

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,280 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by Wilt.
Feb 27, 2015 19:16 |  #41

The image brought into Lightroom and then the

1. White Balance is adjusted
  2. Exposure is adjusted (without WB)

IMAGE: http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/wiltonw/POTN%202013%20Post%20Mar1/what%20color_zpsrailfisr.jpg

My own first perception was WB error, not such a severe exposure error

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

OhLook
Spiderwoman
15,287 posts
Joined Dec 2012
Feb 27, 2015 19:32 |  #42

Wilt wrote in post #17452988external link
My own first perception was WB error, not such a severe exposure error

Right! Me too.

DreDaze, do Wilt's two adjusted pictures look alike to you?

DreDaze
17,741 posts
Joined Mar 2006
S.F. Bay Area
Feb 27, 2015 19:37 |  #43

OhLook wrote in post #17453005external link
Right! Me too.

DreDaze, do Wilt's two adjusted pictures look alike to you?

no, the corrected WB one looks a whole lot lighter...the exposure corrected one is a lot darker...the way i see the original picture is a bit in the middle...it's not nearly as dark as the corrected version

it's crazy, because when i first saw it the very first time...i remember thinking, what are these people nuts, how are they seeing blue and black...it's clearly white and gold :)

Andre or Dre
gear list
flickr (external link)

freestylee30
Joined Jun 2007
Feb 27, 2015 19:42 |  #44

White and gold-ish, hasn't changed yet!

Brandon | zenfolio (external link)| ♥ feedback ♥
Eternal Blue Forever Green
Image Editing OK

CANON 5DIV 6D w/Grip +RRS l-bracket 50 f/1.8 85 f/1.8 135 f/2L |
ROKINON 14 f/2.8 | TAMRON 15-30 f/2.8 VC 24-70 f/2.8 VC | SIGMA 35 f/1.4 Art |

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Feb 27, 2015 21:40 as a reply to Wilt's post |  #45

Wilt, did you make the WB adjustments?

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

sponsored links

14,754 views & 18 likes for this thread
What Color Is This Dress? (White/Gold or Black/Blue)
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.