Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing
Thread started 21 Feb 2015 (Saturday) 23:15
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Should I shoot in RAW or RAW+JPEG?

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,394 posts
Joined Feb 2008
Philadelphia, PA USA
Feb 26, 2015 15:46 as a reply to post 17451204 |  #16

if that's what you want to do, yes.

kirk

Kirk
---

sponsored links
WebDevGuy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2009
Feb 26, 2015 22:08 |  #17

Thanks everyone for your insight and suggestions! I have alot to mull over.

7D Mark ii, T1i/500D, 17-55 2.8, 100-400L mk II - More Gear
flickrexternal link
Join the group: Canon 7D Mark II + Canon 100-400mm L IS II on flickrexternal link
5 out of 4 people can't do fractions.

Steinn
Joined Feb 2015
Tromsø, Norway
Feb 27, 2015 01:35 as a reply to post 17451204 |  #18

From the RAW in LR you can make different presets in Export for different purposes, make a adjustment in Export panel >Add and rename for future use
I use like :
3000 pix
1500 pix
Facebook
SmugMug
etc.
You can even choose which folder the jpg ends up in directly form the preset.
Stein

Stein Ø. Nilsen tromsofoto.net
Tromsø - Norway
Photo - Birdsound - Guide

WebDevGuy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2009
Feb 27, 2015 01:51 |  #19

crbinson wrote in post #17443527external link
I guess a matter of preference. If I'm shooting RAW; I'm shooting +JPEG.
I import all to LR then I dump both files if the image is junk, dump the RAW/keep the JPEG if it is snapshot quality (kids at play, family events, etc), and keep both files only if it is wall hanger or something I feel would warrant my time for editing to any significant extent.

Thanks!

So if you shoot in RAW+JPEG then LR can import both and handle them as 1 file? So if I trash a bad pic it trashes both the RAW + JPEG?

Also, is there a way in LR5 to somehow delete the RAW and just keep the JPEG for the ones that don't need extensive post processing? How about deleting the JPEG and keeping the RAW in LR5?

Thanks again!

flickrexternal link
Join the group: Canon 7D Mark II + Canon 100-400mm L IS II on flickrexternal link

LincsRP
Joined Mar 2007
Lincolnshire,UK
Mar 02, 2015 15:08 as a reply to WebDevGuy's post |  #20

Personally I shoot in jpeg. When I shoot raw plus jpeg I find the raws are most often under-exposed a bit. Maybe 1/3rd stop or more likely 2/3rds stop.

So, as raw shooters shoot raw to extract the ultimate quality from their files it makes sense to shoot either ETTR or any other magical format raw shooters prefer. Note; I am not suggesting raw or jpeg is better here - jpeg just is, right :)

Seriously, raw files take an awful lot more exposure before they're nuked and that's a bonus. Shooting raw plus jpeg then would render the jpegs useless if shot this way. I do think to settle on one or another format is best and work the format to their best ability.

Bearing in mind my raw experience is limited to a Rawtherapee and Canon DPP.

Steve
www.lincsracephotos.co​.ukexternal link

Steinn
Joined Feb 2015
Tromsø, Norway
Mar 11, 2015 05:45 |  #21

I have all my RAW on the harddrive, and when I need a jpg I create it there and then in LR5 or in PS for web/print.
I NEVER delete a good RAW-file! Guess if you make a 20x30 cm printout of your Rembrandt, you would'nt burn the original? :)
If the RAW is too dark you should have overexposed a bit, use the histogram to check your exposure.
My first RAW-files from 10D, 20D etc. is far better with latest editions of software than 10 years ago, who knows what it looks like in future??
SO my advice, DO NOT chuck away your RAW-files!!
Stein

Tromsø - Norway

tabi_24
Joined Feb 2013
Leesburg, FL
Mar 11, 2015 05:51 |  #22

I used to shoot in raw+jpeg but for me there was no practical use for it. It's much easier to just save your edited raw as a jpeg and takes a lot less space.

http://www.foreverafte​rphotography.net (external link)
http://www.tabithaspho​tography.webs.com (external link)
Cameras: Canon 5D Mark ii, Canon 7D, Canon EOS Rebel T2i
Lenses: Canon 10-22mm, 50mm f1.4, 70-200mm f 2.8L IS, 24-105 L f4, Venus Optics Laowa 15mm f4

Steinn
Joined Feb 2015
Tromsø, Norway
Mar 11, 2015 08:23 as a reply to tabi_24's post |  #23

So that means you create a jpeg and delete the RAW? And when someone calls you and wants a tiff or 16:9 crop or your photo as wallpaper you then use your compressed jpg for this task?
I would not dare to delete the RAW, buy a portabel harddrive and store them just in case.

Tromsø - Norway

LincsRP
Joined Mar 2007
Lincolnshire,UK
Mar 11, 2015 19:15 |  #24

Steinn wrote in post #17470063external link
So that means you create a jpeg and delete the RAW? And when someone calls you and wants a tiff or 16:9 crop or your photo as wallpaper you then use your compressed jpg for this task?
I would not dare to delete the RAW, buy a portabel harddrive and store them just in case.

Oh, I don't know why folks pronounce raw as RAW as it's not an acronym as JPEG is but, hey ho, everyone to their own :)

So, why can't we produce a .tiff file or a poster or whatever from jpeg files? We have to remember either a) the poster is not shooting professional, they don't have the funds to buy a hard drive or they maybe shoot 100,000 images a year which I do and they ain't gonna be worth storing as raw files.

Ultimate image quality follows after image content, availability and price. Shoot all raw files equals more storage space equals more cost equals more price to the consumer and they don't bite the higher price. Images from smartphones are being used in the media now and they are paying zilch, nada, nothing.

JPEGS, MPEGS and such are paying the bills. Shoot, produce, supply and collect. Nobody bar the filmakers is making a dime outta the raw files. Raws are for the creators, the artistic and talented and so on.

Apologies if I offend anyone but, if anyone is shooting raw for commercial use now they're heading for bankrupsy. That is unless they have a prepaid venture.

Steve
www.lincsracephotos.co​.ukexternal link

WebDevGuy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2009
Mar 11, 2015 20:11 as a reply to LincsRP's post |  #25

Thanks everyone for their viewpoints and insight! I realize that both (JPEG and RAW) are used successfully by pro photographers and hobbiests alike. I enjoy the various paradigms. Thanks!

flickrexternal link

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007
Sussex, UK
Mar 12, 2015 02:24 |  #26

LincsRP wrote in post #17470884external link
Shoot all raw files equals more storage space equals more cost equals more price to the consumer

Hmmmm, a 2TB drive costs around £60 and will hold about 60,000 raw files. That adds a massive one-tenth of a penny per image.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Websiteexternal link

Pagman
I just hold the thing :-)
Joined Dec 2011
Mar 13, 2015 22:22 |  #27

I save all my Good Raws in a folder then onto a disk, the problem with doing this is i can not tell instantly what each RAW is or its quality, it used to be different with Negs you could hold them up to light and see them, why keep all the Raws you might ask? well if someone sees a Jpeg and then wants the Raw i have it saved.

P.

Nikon D7100, Nikkor 300 f4 IF ED :-)

EnglishBob
Joined Dec 2004
Clovis, California.
Mar 13, 2015 22:27 |  #28

I've been shooting just RAW for the last 3-4 years, prior to that I was shooting both.

I use ACDSee that allows me to view the raw files quickly, and if I need a quick batch of jpg's can convert an entire folder in a few seconds.

Galleryexternal link MyGearexternal link About Meexternal link

WebDevGuy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2009
Mar 13, 2015 22:37 as a reply to EnglishBob's post |  #29

Great tips everyone!

flickrexternal link

Steinn
Joined Feb 2015
Tromsø, Norway
Mar 14, 2015 09:39 as a reply to Pagman's post |  #30

My experience is few newspapers or magazines wants raw, but they have different needs as jpg, png or tiff.
If you use Lightroom or DPP (Canon) you can easily add stars or colours to the usefull ones and easly delete the rubbish.
In Lightroom you just push X and it is greyed out of the "Lightbox" just as we did with dias in the old days :)
Shift -backslash and they dissapear for ever!
And for harddrives, YES it is part of the hobby/business - you need to have copies in case the tragedy strikes. Myself nearly lost 2 years of birdsound recording this winter due to useing only a singel HD.. Stupid as it is!

Tromsø - Norway

sponsored links

5,622 views & 1 like for this thread
Should I shoot in RAW or RAW+JPEG?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.