Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge
Thread started 23 Feb 2015 (Monday) 00:30
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Getting Old (vision is changing)

Conradebner
Joined Jun 2012
The South
Feb 23, 2015 00:30 |  #1

Ok, so I shot a cheer competition yesterday and went home to process the images. Damnit, my lens or camera is screwed up, all my images are soft. Canon 1Dx and a 70-200 2.8L II has always worked great.....damnit what the hell went wrong. Well I got up and took a break for 5 minutes and came back to continue. I thought, I wonder if I should use my new readers that my wife got for me...HOLY CRAP! Images sharp as a tack..not sure how many I pitched because they were "soft"

Moral of the story, if your over 40, trust your camera, not your eyes.....my up close vision went to hell in about two months!vmad

1DX, 70-200 2.8L IS II, 24-70 2.8L, 300 2.8L IS, 200 2.8L, 7D, 40D, 100 2.8 Macro, 580EX II
Www.IE3photo.comexternal link

sponsored links
Nogo
I could have been worse....
Joined Dec 2013
All Along the Natchez Trace (Clinton, MS)
Feb 23, 2015 00:39 |  #2

A quick vision change like that can indicate several medical problems. The first one that comes to mind is Diabetes Type II. Just saying, unless you already know why your vision is changing, it is best to get checked out.

Philip
Does the TF actually know about the soda cans and PVC pipe from 30 years ago?

bumpintheroad
Self-inflicted bait
Joined Oct 2013
NJ, USA
Feb 23, 2015 00:45 |  #3

Ha!

I've worn eyeglasses and contacts since I was 17. Since hitting the half-century mark I've needed +1.25 cheaters on top of my contacts to read and work on the computer. I can see fine up-close without any corrective lenses, but the computer screen is just far enough away that everything is soft to my naked eye.

My solution was to have eyeglasses made with a custom prescription that is +1.25 over my normal prescription. So my normal contacts and eyeglasses are -1.75/-2.50, and my "working" eyeglasses are -0.50/-1.25. Works great and I can even drive with my "working" glasses, as long as I don't need to read street signs or house numbers.

-- Mark | Gear | Flickrexternal link | Picasaexternal link | Youtubeexternal link | Facebookexternal link | Image editing is okay

Nogo
I could have been worse....
Joined Dec 2013
All Along the Natchez Trace (Clinton, MS)
Feb 23, 2015 01:06 as a reply to bumpintheroad's post |  #4

Most of us need some sort of glasses somewhere around 50. Just know it is important not to just dismiss any sudden changes that are not normal.

If it was not as sudden as I took it from your first post, that is great.

Philip
Does the TF actually know about the soda cans and PVC pipe from 30 years ago?

Conradebner
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2012
The South
Feb 24, 2015 21:02 |  #5

Progressive change over time, just never occurred to me I was deleting 'soft' images, which may have been sharp as tacks! I gave a really good laugh! Thanks for everyone's concern!

1DX, 70-200 2.8L IS II, 24-70 2.8L, 300 2.8L IS, 200 2.8L, 7D, 40D, 100 2.8 Macro, 580EX II
Www.IE3photo.comexternal link

Aswald
Goldmember
1,162 posts
Joined Oct 2013
London, Paris, NY
Feb 24, 2015 21:06 |  #6

Hahaha....most times I don't know whether to get angry or frustrated with my readers....:lol:

Weathernut
30 posts
Joined Dec 2010
Mar 07, 2015 08:11 |  #7

I struggle with my vision. It is not horrible, but even shooting with my glasses on when I need to manually focus, I just can't get it right at times. very frustrating!

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Mar 07, 2015 08:28 |  #8

Depending on how hard I have worked my eyes each day, I may or may not be able to read text on my phone by dinner time. Definitely keeping some cheap readers in my photo gear box these days.

44 years old. -?

BTW, muscle structure/mass goes downhill quickly after 40 too. Use it or lose it.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

sponsored links

875 views & 0 likes for this thread
Getting Old (vision is changing)
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.