Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge
Thread started 10 Jan 2015 (Saturday) 15:48
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Extreme cold

bent ­ toe
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2012
Jan 10, 2015 15:48 |  #1

I was thinking about something... thought i'd share it here.
Say that you wanted to photograph on K2, and you would follow the route to the top with sherpas and guides and everything.

If you got the same gear as everyone else but added a 2,6 gallon backpack with boiling hot water and a small hose that you could drink from, like some of those waterbackpacks you see, how long would it take for that boiling water to be at a drinking temp, based on the minus degrees on the walk up.

If you wanted to photograph just at the top, and from the last checkpoint to the top, you could fill that waterbackpack with boiling water... would it last all the way to the top?
Imo i believe that it could work to keep your body warm, atleast for awhile.. but for how long?
Would the waterbackpack also keep the camera warm?

"High life on low budget"
bent photosexternal linkPortfolioboxexternal link
X-Pro1 XF 35 f/1.4

sponsored links
Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004
Bethesda, MD USA
Jan 11, 2015 18:56 |  #2

It Depends. Do you have a water bladder that can take boiling water? How well are you planning to insulate it, both to minimize heat loss to the outside air and to prevent scalding your back when you first put the pack on? Don't forget 2.6 G is about 20 lb., in addition to the other stuff you'll be carrying, and you'll need some cooler water for hydration until the boiling water cools down enough for you to drink that.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

gjl711
They have pills for that now you know.
53,241 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Deep in the heart of Texas
Jan 11, 2015 19:11 |  #3

This sounds like one of those "A train leaves from Cleveland and another from Albany headed towards each other" type of question. ;)

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

bent ­ toe
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2012
Jan 12, 2015 02:02 |  #4

Haha! Just a thought, although it can sound crazy.

"High life on low budget"
bent photosexternal linkPortfolioboxexternal link
X-Pro1 XF 35 f/1.4

DoughnutPhoto
Joined Aug 2014
the Netherlands
Mar 06, 2015 16:16 |  #5

It's a tricky physics question, but I do like the quirckyness of the concept. Rather than just waiting for the hot water to cool, you could use it to warm your own body (and be all fuzzy and warm charging up the mountain!). But in all practicality, I think carrying an additional 20 lb might keep you from reaching the summit all together, and I would wonder at how you would get 2.6 gallons of water to boil in your camp halfway up the mountain.

Canon 5d, 60d, 17-40mm L, 30mm Art, 50mm, 85mm

Weathernut
30 posts
Joined Dec 2010
Mar 07, 2015 08:15 |  #6

got to single digits in NC. cannot wait for spring to finally arrive!

sponsored links

814 views & 0 likes for this thread
Extreme cold
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.