Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 07 Mar 2015 (Saturday) 02:32
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Your biggest weakness as a phoblobgrapher

Ilovetheleafs
Raising uninteresting to new levels
Joined Jul 2011
Mar 07, 2015 02:32 |  #1

I was chatting with one of my photography mentors and professor the other day about weaknesses and creative blocks in photography. It was interesting actually. Anyways I asked him where he thought I was weakest so I could improve in general. He said I was too clinical as a phoblobgrapher.

So I thought this might be an interesting topic to discuss here, see where others see their weaknesses and how they've over come said issues. For me personally I have 3 weaknesses in my photography and these are:

- Too clinical
- Shy, this is a general personality thing for me and photography has made me less shy.
- Use deep focus too often and need to gain confidence using shalloer DOF.

Canon Rebel XS gripped, Canon 18 - 55mm, Sigma 18 - 200mm f3.5 - f6.3 DC OS HSM,Sigma 50mm f1.4 Olympus TG-810 Tough, LowePro Classified 160AW, Canon 430EX II Flash, Kata E-702

sponsored links
Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Mar 07, 2015 10:25 |  #2

I think I would probably be very interested in discussing this topic........except that I have no idea what a "phoblobgrapher" is. I have never seen the term used before, despite countless thousands of hours on photography forums and other photography-related websites.

Could you please explain the term; particularly, how does the definition of "phoblobgrapher" differ from that of "photographer"?

Thank you

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

Sparky98
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2005
East Texas
Mar 07, 2015 13:34 |  #3

I suspect "phoblobgrapher" is a created or made up word and has no meaning to anyone other than the professor and some of his students. It's not in Wikipedia and everyone knows if it's not there it doesn't exist.

Joe
5DIII

Snafoo
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2011
Peculiar
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by Snafoo.
Mar 07, 2015 13:40 |  #4

I was flummoxed by the term, too. I think the OP meant "phoblographer" (not phoblobgrapher). That would be a blog devoted to photography, right? Not sure if the OP is asking how to be a better photographer or a better blogger. In any event, I suppose the simplistic answer to becoming a better photographer would be to practice, practice, practice. Then submit your photos to others for critique. Join a photo club or group. Examine the work of others that you respect and admire and look for ways that you can incorporate (not copy) their style into your own. Try new perspectives - shoot below knee level, tilt your camera, do some night shooting. Lots of possibilities for mixing it up if you think about it a bit.

Shyness can be overcome by just getting yourself out there. I'm a pretty shy guy, but I've only always had good experiences when I've interacted with people who I wish to photograph.

DOF? That's easy - just set your aperture to wide open and leave it there for a while. You'll soon find what works and what doesn't.

Another idea: try a different camera. If you shoot digital, try shooting film. That'll change your perspective. Or an iPhone, or a Holga. Sometimes dumbing down your kit will force you to a new level.

http://www.jonstot.com​/ (external link)

travisvwright
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2013
NC
Mar 07, 2015 13:42 |  #5

I'm guessing some sort of swype auto-correct here.

I come here for your expert opinion. Please do not hesitate to critique or edit.
70D, T3i, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC, Canon 50 1.4, Canon 100 2.8 Macro, Canon 85 1.8, Canon 10-18 4.5 STM

Franklin NC Photographer Travis Wright (external link)

jay125
Monkey Shoulder
Joined Dec 2010
Mar 07, 2015 14:08 |  #6

Apparently phoblographer is a real thing. I googled the word and it returned a bunch of sites. It seems to be what it sounds like. Photo bloggers. Some are informational, some are conversational and some are hard to describe...go figure. When I googled phoblobrapher, it just pointed to phoblographer. I learned something today!

Anyways, my largest hurtle is that I am shy, but only when holding a camera. I am an executive director who meets regularly with my senior staff, my employees, boards, committees and political organizations. I can speak and interact like none other. If I have a camera, I shut down. It's bizarre, but very real. I like my images, I post my images, I share my images with friends and family, but I can't do street photography, take portraits or truly and comfortably interact with people when it comes to photography. I own a few different bodies, and depending on what the occasion is defines which body I will take. If there are people involved, I will take the body I know most about and have the most experience with, so I can give the appearance of being ok at what I am doing.

As far as photoblogging, I do have a few sites I post to. It's for me though. I don't put my work out there for C&C, although I always read the C&C if someone offers it, to gain the input of someone with different experiences than I have. It is like Snafoo said, though. The more I put myself out there, the more comfortable I get with each experience.

gear
feedback

500px.com (external link)

Ilovetheleafs
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jul 2011
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by Ilovetheleafs.
Mar 07, 2015 16:49 |  #7

yes it was a typo i made because its a site I go to and I wasn't paying much attention since I thought I had typed photographer... sorry for that guys.

Anyways lets discuss weaknesses as a photographer and forget my dumb typo!

Canon Rebel XS gripped, Canon 18 - 55mm, Sigma 18 - 200mm f3.5 - f6.3 DC OS HSM,Sigma 50mm f1.4 Olympus TG-810 Tough, LowePro Classified 160AW, Canon 430EX II Flash, Kata E-702

Owain ­ Shaw
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2006
Valencia, Spain.
Post has been last edited over 2 years ago by Owain Shaw. 2 edits done in total.
Mar 08, 2015 12:19 |  #8

I have no real ideas. I can take photographs of things but I have no ideas for photographs, I'm not creating photographs or things to photograph. This makes me terrible at things like portraits because I have no direction for them ...

I also don't have enough experience in spotting those tiny things that really detract a portrait photograph. I'm too easily satisfied there and then, probably just wanting to get it over and done with. Candids I can do, but portraits where we both know it's a portrait and are expecting a portrait, not so good.

I'm also too timid in my street photography, which is mediocre as a result. I don't really dedicate time to landscape photography, just take a few decent or not-so-decent pictures when I'm somewhere with good landscapes. My biggest failure would thus be dedicating myself to it, probably, if we had to find a catch-all ... but I have many.

P.S. Not looking for solutions/advice ... just being honest about my more glaring weaknesses.

| Photographic for the People - New website coming soon. |
| Gear | Flickr (external link) |

Preeb
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2011
Logan County, CO
Mar 08, 2015 12:45 |  #9

I am terrible with people photography. Forget portraits. Even with candids I'm an expert at capturing the least decisive moment. If you want a photograph of a person looking his absolute worst, call me.

Rick
60D - EF-S 10-22 f3.5-f4.5 -- EF-S 17-55 f2.8 IS -- EF-S 60mm f2.8 Macro -- EF 100mm f2.8 L IS Macro -- EF 70-200 f4 L IS w/1.4 II TC

Galix
Joined May 2013
Mar 08, 2015 13:46 |  #10

I am quite ashamed to say my biggest weakness is working with light. Natural, artificial, bright, low, colour, white, whatever you call it, its tough for me.

...sigh...

ETS
Joined Jan 2008
Cocoa, Florida
Mar 08, 2015 13:54 |  #11

I'm lazy as hell!

Fuji X-T2,5D MKII,Rebel XTi
17-40L, 70-200 F4L, 400mm F5.6L, 100mm F2.8L, Sigma 35mm f1.4 Art
580 EX II

flowrider
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2009
Mar 08, 2015 16:01 |  #12

I'd like to break away from how I was taught. I find it difficult to break rules when it comes to photography.

~Steve~
~ My Website-stevelowephoto.com (external link) ~ Facebook (external link)
Feedback Feedback Feedback

CeGe
51 posts
Joined May 2012
Mar 08, 2015 17:32 |  #13

Taking photos of the same things from the same perspective over and over again. Not pushing my editing far enough. Not getting out of my comfort zone. Not having a goal before i go out to shoot. Leaving my camera at home.

Ilovetheleafs
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jul 2011
Mar 08, 2015 23:49 |  #14

flowrider wrote in post #17466130external link
I'd like to break away from how I was taught. I find it difficult to break rules when it comes to photography.

yep that's one for me too.

DigiBill
Joined May 2010
North of Philadelphia Pennsylvania
Mar 09, 2015 06:12 |  #15

CeGe wrote in post #17466237external link
Taking photos of the same things from the same perspective over and over again. Not pushing my editing far enough. Not getting out of my comfort zone. Not having a goal before i go out to shoot. Leaving my camera at home.

Sounds like me too.

Please feel free to visit our RV Website
http://rv.billdiana.co​mexternal link

sponsored links

3,972 views & 2 likes for this thread
Your biggest weakness as a phoblobgrapher
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.