Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge
Thread started 15 Aug 2013 (Thursday) 19:34
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

It's Already 2AM: 35th Edition... Welcome to The Blue Oyster Bar.

this thread is locked
Strontium
Durr?
Joined Jun 2011
Mar 13, 2015 19:43 |  #8221

DTBaan wrote in post #17473885external link
and yeah.. Harm's been known to kill threads. he keeps trying to get his title changed to 'license to kill'  :p

I blame Harmlet :D

I am I

sponsored links
Harm
. . . overboard with the tea . . .
48,564 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Jan 2008
Mar 13, 2015 21:01 |  #8222

DTBaan wrote in post #17473885external link
Harm's been known to kill threads. he keeps trying to get his title changed to 'license to kill'  :p

and still i don't get a super title...

DTBaan wrote in post #17473888external link
let's crash his wedding lol

count me in!!

Strontium wrote in post #17473961external link
I blame Harmlet :D

:rolleyes:

SmugMugexternal link

Strontium
Durr?
Joined Jun 2011
Mar 13, 2015 21:04 |  #8223

The rolling of the eyes....

I am I

dgrPhotos
Cream of the Crop
Joined Apr 2011
Illinois
Post has been last edited over 2 years ago by dgrPhotos. 2 edits done in total.
Mar 14, 2015 04:59 |  #8224

Strontium wrote in post #17473949external link
How does that aspect ratio play with the UI, in game? I've been playing on a 40" 1080p display for about 7yrs, now. 32" 720p, for 5yrs before that. At this point, with my presbyopia and general blindness (since I was 6) I'm getting tired of feeling like I'm watching a tennis match at center court. Not sure that new-fangled aspect would help lol.

You overclocking for a reason, or just to do it? I found out the hard way, about 15yrs ago, that the gain is hardly worth the risk. And, yes, I did some water cooling as well. But, back then, we built our own not buy pre-built stuff (water cooling set ups). One day you drop $700 on a processor, and the next day you are running to Chipsmart (bankrupt years ago) to replace it. Ahhhh, the good ol days of overclocking.

It works well with the UI. When I first got my 5K iMac (4K in Windows) I had to adjust both the placement and size of the bits that comprise of the SWTOR interface. I didn't have to do it with this screen but items that are in the corner of the screen are now further away from the character you're playing with. It didn't hurt game play for me at all. Feels more like you're in a movie theater.

Regarding over-clocking I do like to benchmark systems so that's why I do it. I keep it over-clocked because the temps of the CPU remain below 20C on idle and don't surpass 60C when stressed. My core voltage it still well below the specs for Haswell as well. I can push it further with ease when benchmarking.

FJ ­ LOVE
Cream of the Crop
20,872 posts
Joined Nov 2006
barrie ont. ca
Mar 14, 2015 08:47 |  #8225

dgrPhotos wrote in post #17473681 (external link)
Wow, post-less for 4 days.

Here's the results of my latest project.

QUOTED IMAGE
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/rjv8​5o] (external link)DGR_8738 (external link) by dan@dgrphotos.com (external link), on Flickr

nice monitor 8-)

DILLIGAF about your bicycle or your gear

dgrPhotos
Cream of the Crop
Joined Apr 2011
Illinois
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by dgrPhotos.
Mar 14, 2015 14:24 |  #8226

FJ LOVE wrote in post #17474498 (external link)
nice monitor 8-)

Now that I have three thunderbolt displays I just need to figure out eyefinity over thunderbolt. :lol:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

FJ ­ LOVE
Cream of the Crop
20,872 posts
Joined Nov 2006
barrie ont. ca
Mar 14, 2015 15:44 as a reply to dgrPhotos's post |  #8227

Hey Dan how's editing with that big monitor ?

DILLIGAF about your bicycle or your gear

Strontium
Durr?
Joined Jun 2011
Mar 15, 2015 02:17 |  #8228

dgrPhotos wrote in post #17474377external link
It works well with the UI. When I first got my 5K iMac (4K in Windows) I had to adjust both the placement and size of the bits that comprise of the SWTOR interface. I didn't have to do it with this screen but items that are in the corner of the screen are now further away from the character you're playing with. It didn't hurt game play for me at all. Feels more like you're in a movie theater.

Regarding over-clocking I do like to benchmark systems so that's why I do it. I keep it over-clocked because the temps of the CPU remain below 20C on idle and don't surpass 60C when stressed. My core voltage it still well below the specs for Haswell as well. I can push it further with ease when benchmarking.

Interesting to know about how that wide of a ratio works. Now seeing that you're going to do a 3 screen setup, it makes more sense to me. If I had the space and money, I'd do it.

I mainly overclocked for the same reason. Hobby. In fact, I started playing PC games to test my builds. Before that, I was a NES/SNES fan. I used building systems as an excuse to game. Or is it the other way around?

I am I

dgrPhotos
Cream of the Crop
Joined Apr 2011
Illinois
Mar 15, 2015 05:49 |  #8229

FJ LOVE wrote in post #17474946external link
Hey Dan how's editing with that big monitor ?

The ultra wide monitor? Actually haven't tried yet. Still using my 5K display for that.

dgrPhotos
Cream of the Crop
Joined Apr 2011
Illinois
Mar 15, 2015 05:51 |  #8230

Strontium wrote in post #17475538external link
Interesting to know about how that wide of a ratio works. Now seeing that you're going to do a 3 screen setup, it makes more sense to me. If I had the space and money, I'd do it.

I mainly overclocked for the same reason. Hobby. In fact, I started playing PC games to test my builds. Before that, I was a NES/SNES fan. I used building systems as an excuse to game. Or is it the other way around?

I'm actually going to stick with two screen for my iMac and just one for the PC. I did the three screens just to see if the iMac would let me do it. My wife actually took the other (older) iMac to use it in a different room.

MOkoFOko
nut impotent and avoiding Geoff
19,889 posts
Joined Jun 2010
Michigan, home of the Zombie plague
Mar 15, 2015 21:24 |  #8231

Are you kidding me? This thread is still going after like a year? :D Oh, and happy belated new year. And happy Chinese new year as well. Happy Holidays and Festivus as well, since I missed those too.

My Gearlist

Harm
48,564 posts
Joined Jan 2008
Mar 16, 2015 07:30 |  #8232

MOkoFOko wrote in post #17476689external link
Are you kidding me? This thread is still going after like a year? :D Oh, and happy belated new year. And happy Chinese new year as well. Happy Holidays and Festivus as well, since I missed those too.

people are slow typists now...

SmugMugexternal link

Blurr ­ Cube
...a lucky id-iot that didn't get electrocuted...
15,117 posts
Joined Aug 2010
Southern California
Mar 16, 2015 09:34 |  #8233

MOkoFOko wrote in post #17476689external link

Harm wrote in post #17477173external link
people are slow typists now...

Ummm... I don't think this thread will ever die. With the new forum software, the 10K post limit no longer exists, I believe. We're "stuck" with the thread's title. -? :lol:

| Canon EOS Systems |

Harm
48,564 posts
Joined Jan 2008
Mar 16, 2015 10:10 |  #8234

Blurr Cube wrote in post #17477296 (external link)
Ummm... I don't think this thread will ever die. With the new forum software, the 10K post limit no longer exists, I believe. We're "stuck" with the thread's title. -? :lol:

You can totally blame Omar for the title...

IMAGE: http://i.ytimg.com/vi/f77PLFRP3Ok/0.jpg

SmugMugexternal link

Blurr ­ Cube
...a lucky id-iot that didn't get electrocuted...
15,117 posts
Joined Aug 2010
Southern California
Mar 16, 2015 11:07 |  #8235

Harm wrote in post #17477324 (external link)
You can totally blame Omar for the title...

QUOTED IMAGE

I thought it was Baan's idea. -? :lol:

| Canon EOS Systems |

sponsored links

684,475 views & 405 likes for this thread
It's Already 2AM: 35th Edition... Welcome to The Blue Oyster Bar.
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.