Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Other Digital Cameras Fuji Digital Cameras
Thread started 17 Mar 2015 (Tuesday) 13:03
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

What software do you use for Processing Fuji RAW files?

starlights
Joined Apr 2011
Washington DC
Mar 17, 2015 13:03 |  #1

I have recently acquired the Fuji X-T1 and I am very confused regarding which software would be good for processing the Fuji Raw files. I have been using LR (4) and to some extent ACR for my CR2 files.
After reading a lot of articles online, I am confused.

Since LR6 is due on 28th of March, and I need to upgrade pretty soon, I want to figure out if I should spend money on LR or some other software. Thanks!

One other question would be - how many here shoot jpeg only (or shoot Jpeg+Raw) but use Jpegs only.....

Website (external link) l Facebook (external link)
Lenses for SALE (external link)

sponsored links
LincsRP
Joined Mar 2007
Lincolnshire,UK
Mar 17, 2015 16:48 |  #2

starlights wrote in post #17479127external link
One other question would be - how many here shoot jpeg only (or shoot Jpeg+Raw) but use Jpegs only.....

The Fuji has probably been one of the most compelling reasons to shoot jpegs. It has lured hardened raw shooters back to the simple process that jpegs provide of shooting for results as opposed to processing for results.

I would like to adopt the Fuji system but have too much invested in Canon to switch now. As a 95% jpeg shooter it's a dream outfit for me.

Steve
www.lincsracephotos.co​.ukexternal link

magwai
Goldmember
1,094 posts
Joined Mar 2010
Guildford, UK
Mar 18, 2015 03:58 |  #3

I use LR on the fuji raw and it works fine. They do need different settings from most other raw formats though. I put another thread about it on here somewhere.

starlights
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Apr 2011
Washington DC
Mar 18, 2015 15:49 as a reply to magwai's post |  #4

LincsRP: I am slowly moving from Canon to Fuji and enjoying it so far. Currently i own X100s / XT1 with 56 1.2 and a handful of legacy MF lenses. Fuji is more fun

magwai: Can you share the link to the thread you mentioned - that would be very helpful.

gnome ­ chompski
Goldmember
1,252 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2013
oakland, ca
Mar 18, 2015 16:21 |  #5

I use Lightroom for 99% of the processing.

Tumblr (external link)
Flickr (external link)
Instagram (external link)

jnadz
279 posts
Joined Feb 2012
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by jnadz.
Mar 18, 2015 21:08 |  #6

LincsRP wrote in post #17479408external link
The Fuji has probably been one of the most compelling reasons to shoot jpegs. It has lured hardened raw shooters back to the simple process that jpegs provide of shooting for results as opposed to processing for results.

I would like to adopt the Fuji system but have too much invested in Canon to switch now. As a 95% jpeg shooter it's a dream outfit for me.

Too much invested? Just sell what you won't use anymore. If you shoot wildlife and have some nice long primes or zooms, keep one body and the long stuff, but sell everything else and move to fuji. I started this thread (http://photography-on-the.net ...read.php?t=1421348&​page=1) on March 3rd with the exact intention of moving to Fuji and look at everything that's already sold. In that same timeframe, I've acquired the following: XT1, XM1, 10-24mm, 18mm f2, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, and the 55-200.... Plus, I've made more money selling than I've spent so far, so there's still room to grow without it costing me anything.

Now I know this seems like a rash decision and a huge jump over only 2 weeks time, but I spent time with the Fuji stuff and contemplated the jump for months (almost a year actually). Once I decided to move over, I jumped in with both feet. I have been shooting constantly with every new lens that comes in and I'm loving it. My whole kit fits in a bag half the size of what I used to use for just 2 bodies and 3 lenses. I'm really looking forward to traveling with 2 bodies and 3 lenses in a tiny ONA Bowery or Domke fx3b bag... So portable and the quality is still amazing.

5D Mark III | SL1 | EOS-M | S100
Rokinon 14 f2.8 | Σ35 f1.4 Art | Canon 40 f2.8 | Canon 50 f1.8 mark I | Canon 100L | Canon 135L | Canon 70-300L
Canon EF-M 11-22 | Canon EF-M 22 f2 | Canon EF-M 55-200

starlights
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Apr 2011
Washington DC
Mar 22, 2015 11:33 |  #7

I guess i will wait for LR6 to be released before taking a decision - may go the CC route for the first time, atleast for the first year due to Fuji/Adobe 15% promotion.

Superdaantje
557 posts
Joined Aug 2010
Netherlands
Mar 23, 2015 01:21 |  #8

LincsRP wrote in post #17479408external link

I use the Fujifillm X system quit a while now. And always shoot RAW. There RAW files have a lot of information. [URL="http://wagner.ph​otography/canon-eos-5d-mark-iii-to-fujifilm-x/"][URL="http://wagne​r.photography/canon-eos-5d-mark-iii-to-fujifilm-x/"]I switched from a Canon 5D Mark III and Mark II to this system. Love it. do not regret it. I use this system for giving workshops photography and for assignments.

I made my jump very slow. I used both systems side by side for almost a year. I decided to sell every thing from Canon. Did not use it any more.

For post I use LR. There are many options what is beter. For my self LR works the best.

Wagner.photography -  (external link) Workshops photography in the Netherlands & Indonesia -_-
Gear list (external link)

Superdaantje
557 posts
Joined Aug 2010
Netherlands
Mar 23, 2015 01:23 |  #9

Just download the free 30day trail of LR and test it your self ;-)a

Wagner.photography -  (external link) Workshops photography in the Netherlands & Indonesia -_-

LincsRP
Joined Mar 2007
Lincolnshire,UK
Mar 23, 2015 08:04 |  #10

Superdaantje wrote in post #17487627external link
I use the Fujifillm X system quit a while now. And always shoot RAW. There RAW files have a lot of information. [URL="http://wagner.ph​otography/canon-eos-5d-mark-iii-to-fujifilm-x/"][URL="http://wagne​r.photography/canon-eos-5d-mark-iii-to-fujifilm-x/"]I switched from a Canon 5D Mark III and Mark II to this system. Love it. do not regret it. I use this system for giving workshops photography and for assignments.

I made my jump very slow. I used both systems side by side for almost a year. I decided to sell every thing from Canon. Did not use it any more.

For post I use LR. There are many options what is beter. For my self LR works the best.

I'm replying out of courtesy as I don't own a Fuji and don't shoot raw except for the 5% of the time I do weddings and I don't shoot the raws as a proper raw shooter would to get the benefits it does offer.

This all came about when I spoke to a colleague who mainly shoots weddings and he explained he took a Fuji X-something on holiday and shot on the Velvia jpeg setting all holiday and came back with about 3000 images from China and he showed me the jpegs straight out of the damn thing. They were stunning!

He hasn't even bothered with the raw side of it and he's using it for weddings now. If I can I'll get him to join this forum to see them.

Steve
www.lincsracephotos.co​.ukexternal link

Superdaantje
557 posts
Joined Aug 2010
Netherlands
Mar 23, 2015 10:54 as a reply to LincsRP's post |  #11

I know what the Fuji is cable of ;-)a JPEG are really good but the RAW are really flexible. You can get even more out of it.

Puckman
Cream of the Crop
6,219 posts
Joined Sep 2013
Yorba Linda, CA
Mar 23, 2015 13:33 |  #12

Thread starter,

I'm contemplating a similar move to Fuji (XT-1, I already own the X100T) from Canon. I haven't had any issues processing the X100T files in LR5.7. I imagine LR6 should be fine.

Question for you, now that you've jumped with both feet in? How are you liking it? I think my biggest fear, jumping into Fuji is (1) Crop factor and (2) slow AF.
I shoot a lot of landscape, architecture and urban (where full-frame seems key). I also like the occasional nature/action/wildlife stuff (AF becomes important here).
I'm also considering Sony. Not sure yet. Doing all the research. but it always helps to hear the opinions of someone who's been in the same boat.
My biggest reason for giving up Canon would be weight and bulk.

Sony A7RII and a bunch of lenses.

mrgooch
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2008
Toms River NJ
Mar 23, 2015 15:38 |  #13

Stay with LR6

starlights
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Apr 2011
Washington DC
Post has been last edited over 2 years ago by starlights. 2 edits done in total.
Mar 23, 2015 21:35 |  #14

mrgooch wrote in post #17488602external link
Stay with LR6

Yes, i think i will - for the first time, I am considering going the CC route with LR6

Puckman wrote in post #17488380external link
Thread starter,

Question for you, now that you've jumped with both feet in? How are you liking it? I think my biggest fear, jumping into Fuji is (1) Crop factor and (2) slow AF.
I shoot a lot of landscape, architecture and urban (where full-frame seems key). I also like the occasional nature/action/wildlife stuff (AF becomes important here).
I'm also considering Sony. Not sure yet. Doing all the research. but it always helps to hear the opinions of someone who's been in the same boat.
My biggest reason for giving up Canon would be weight and bulk.

I am not yet completely comitted to Fuji - though thus far, I am loving it. I still have my Canon 5D II along with 70 200 2.8 II / 85 1.8 and 24-70 Mark 1 (I sold a lot of lenses in anticipation of my move to Fuji). I am mostly a portrait / people shooter with occasional landscape and travel. I am not much into sports photography so i don't need bleeding edge speed.

As a start of my move to Fuji, I picked up XT1 along with 56 1.2 and a bunch of not so expensive legacy MF lenses - My intention is to start using Fuji for my portrait / people work and see how I like it - so far, I am loving it. I also own a x100s since last year and for the most part, thats the only camera I used when we travelled - initially it was a bit limiting to have only one focal length, but slowly it grew on me and now I love it as my only travel camera - its a far cry from all the weight of Canon equipment.

Unlike in the past with Canon, this time around, I want to go slow with lens purchase (Perhaps 10-24 & 50-140 when I am ready to let go of my current Canon gear).

In terms of autofocus, I find the XT1 very similar to my 5D II so I don't find it lacking. Someone moving from 5D III may find it to be slower. Even though I love full frame, I am getting used to APS-C sensor - Personally i think its more of a mindset for the most part. There are some differences, but both are capable of making great images.

For landscape and architecture, you should be fine the 10-24mm should take you reasonably wide. Sports may be somewhat challenging, depending on the sport but unless you use a 1DX currently, I think you should be fine. Get a XT1 with one lens of your choice and try it out - that eventually will be the best way to judge. (Apologies for the longish post)

Here is a link of a blog post i found on google - you may find it interesting: http://www.blamethemon​key.com ...s-e1-e2-t1-cameras-lensesexternal link

And one more - specifically on X-t1: http://aboutphotograph​y-tomgrill.blogspot.com ...x-t1-hands-on-review.htmlexternal link

Puckman
Cream of the Crop
6,219 posts
Joined Sep 2013
Yorba Linda, CA
Mar 23, 2015 23:36 as a reply to starlights's post |  #15

I appreciate you taking the time to write the longish post for my benefit. Thank you. I might try exactly what you suggested.
My biggest concern so far with the Fuji system has been the lack of established long glass (I do love the occasional foray at 400mm to capture a hummingbird, or whathaveyou. At least, I like having that option if I want it). That and the crop vs FF dilemma.
But that's all really a personal thing and I can't expect you or anyone else to have the answer for me.

Mostly, I wanted to hear that you are having a good experience with Fuji. No showstoppers with using the XT-1 (like "It's unusable" kinda thing). And no major complaints with the Fuji glass? Good IQ?
Since you mention manual focus glass. How do you find the ease of use of MF on the XT-1? I imagine it's made easy with focus peaking and the EVF (something the Sony guys rave about as well). I know I'd almost never try to MF on my 6D (unless I was shooting a landscape, where you can be off by a bit). It's just too hard to do with no visual aids. So curious how you're liking those manual lenses.

Sony A7RII and a bunch of lenses.

sponsored links

4,567 views & 1 like for this thread
What software do you use for Processing Fuji RAW files?
FORUMS Other Digital Cameras Fuji Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.