Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Urban Life & Travel Talk
Thread started 03 Mar 2015 (Tuesday) 09:35
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Leave random people in pics of landmarks or no?

DoughnutPhoto
Joined Aug 2014
the Netherlands
Mar 17, 2015 14:29 |  #16

I think your wife thinks your pictures are odd because she remembers the people around. To her, the places were lively while the pictures are more or less deserted.

The pictures themselves don't look odd. As you say, tourists in Mickey Mouse shirts and flip flops just won't add to the picture.

Canon 5d, 60d, 17-40mm L, 30mm Art, 50mm, 85mm

sponsored links
Nathan
So boring
Joined Aug 2007
Boston
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by Nathan.
Mar 25, 2015 08:46 |  #17

I know I've found myself desaturating or changing the color of people's bright shirts.

This is a shot I took in Vietnam - lots of distortion, I know... best I could do. Also lots of people walking in and out... I wish it had no people. I chose the shot with the fewest people in the open doorways. I have been too lazy to go back and clone them out... didn't feel like the photo itself was worth the editing time: http://www.nathantpham​.com ...KQ3G/3/XL/_MG_2217-XL.jpgexternal link

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 35 L | 50L | 85L II | 135L | 580 EX II x2

M_Six
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,577 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010
East Central IL
Mar 25, 2015 09:33 |  #18

coogee wrote in post #17490873 (external link)
I disagree, I think people not only bring scale but they can lead us into the picture. People walking into the castle in the first image would have done exactly this.

I've gone from being a people-cloning-out-addict to having a much softer stance now and often leave them in, humans are interesting too! and the relationship between them and the scene can really enrich not detract. That's all generalising of course, I'm sure there are many examples to support either view and each image would be different.

I wouldn't have a 'rule' on people but maybe consider including some, this is a tourist scene, as you said it is a 'landmark', maybe let some people admire it and be drawn to it within your frame?

I agree that sometimes people add to the pic. Most of my London pics have people in them just because it would look so odd without them. And in many cases, the people in the image are more interesting than the structure. This shot of Beamish would look weird with no people. We lucked out and caught a day when it was very uncrowded, so it looks deserted already with just these few folks in the image.

IMAGE: https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5596/15057083757_fcc09d3a38_c.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/oWxu​qn] (external link)Beamish Museum (external link) by Mark J Photography (external link), on Flickr

Nathan wrote in post #17491159 (external link)
I know I've found myself desaturating or changing the color of people's bright shirts.

This is a shot I took in Vietnam - lots of distortion, I know... best I could do. Also lots of people walking in and out... I wish it had no people. I chose the shot with the fewest people in the open doorways. I have been too lazy to go back and clone them out... didn't feel like the photo itself was worth the editing time: http://www.nathantpham​.com ...KQ3G/3/XL/_MG_2217-XL.jpg (external link)

I've done the desat bit as well with pics where cloning wouldn't work and somebody had a glowing shirt or jacket. Your image is fine with those few people. I wouldn't have even paid attention to them if you hadn't mentioned it. They actually give an idea of scale, so better to leave them in.

Mark J.
Gear

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,164 posts
Joined Feb 2012
Sandy, Oregon
Mar 25, 2015 11:22 |  #19

I guess a lot comes down to personal taste. The last time I was in Vegas I took several long exposures and blended out all people and cars from a few of the shots and I love those over the ones with lots of people and cars. I am also not a people person in my day to day life, so people in pictures (other then portraits) just dont do it for me.

corndog ­ cabernet
Joined May 2010
State of chaos
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by corndog cabernet.
Mar 27, 2015 18:26 |  #20

People are easy to find and photograph, and most of humanity isn't that great to look at.
When the subject is special, adding the public in the scene usually detracts, to me.

I usually wait it out to eliminate or reduce traffic in a landscape.

Nathan
So boring
Joined Aug 2007
Boston
Mar 27, 2015 20:23 |  #21

Who's good at making instructional videos. Someone could make an intro to POTN AMASS tutorial

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 35 L | 50L | 85L II | 135L | 580 EX II x2

jamstar35
Joined Feb 2012
Sacramento, CA
Mar 27, 2015 23:01 |  #22

I think it depends on the landmark....a visit to the Grand Canyon....everyone knows its massive, but having the people in the shot added perspective....

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7653/16763741128_f03a441280_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/rxmy​cs] (external link)Grand Canyon (external link) by Jamel Thompson Photography (external link), on Flickr

Canon 6D, Canon T3i/600D....Canon EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS, Canon EF-S 55-250 f/4-5.6 IS, Canon EF 24-105 F/4L IS, Canon EF 35mm f/2, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8, Canon EF 85mm f/1.8, Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 VC USD
http://www.flickr.com/​jamstar/ (external link)
http://www.photojamel.​com (external link)

M_Six
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,577 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010
East Central IL
Mar 27, 2015 23:44 |  #23

^^^Have to agree with that shot. The people add to it.

Mark J.
Gear

MTroy1
32 posts
Joined Mar 2015
Mar 28, 2015 11:09 as a reply to jamstar35's post |  #24
banned

Nice pic! And I agree with this assessment; it's a breathtaking view either way, but people add great perspective.

sponsored links

4,100 views & 0 likes for this thread
Leave random people in pics of landmarks or no?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Urban Life & Travel Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.