Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support
Thread started 25 Mar 2015 (Wednesday) 15:23
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Tripod for all conditions

Irish ­ Se7en
22 posts
Joined Feb 2012
Mar 25, 2015 15:23 |  #1

I'm looking to invest in another tripod and something that's indestructible. Something that can beat the elements of New England, the salt water, sand and even mud. Something that requires very little maintenance.

I've beat up my Gitzo, at this moment I can't recall the model. It was a beast, carbon fiber and could hold a ton. Sadly, it's hurting and I need parts for it. So I'm looking for something dependable but not crazy expensive. Under a grand would be okay, even less would work.

Thanks in advance.

~Shawn

sponsored links
Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Joined Nov 2010
Hong Kong
Mar 25, 2015 22:18 |  #2

My Feisol has been through pretty much all that stuff and more, and is still alive and kicking. Much less than a grand also.

-Tom
Flickr
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

Talley
Talley Whacker
10,089 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Dec 2011
Houston
Mar 26, 2015 10:31 |  #3

Note to self: do not buy used tripod from Irish Se7en

5D4 |12mm 2.8 FE | 16-35L 2.8 III | Σ 35A | Σ 50A | Σ 85A | 200 F2 IS | 1.4xIII
X-T20 | X-E3 | 18/2 | 35/1.4 | 56/1.2 | 18-135
My Gear Archive

Bearmann
Goldmember
1,160 posts
Joined Feb 2008
I live behind Graceland in a tool shed. I often meet the man early in the morning at Krispy Kreme.
Mar 28, 2015 11:31 |  #4

You didn't say light weight. Maybe a wooden tripod?

Barry

http://b-r-s-photo.zenfolio.comexternal link (remove the dashes)

johnf3f
Goldmember
3,682 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010
Wales
Mar 28, 2015 16:08 |  #5

Bearmann wrote in post #17495439external link
You didn't say light weight. Maybe a wooden tripod?

"All conditions"?
Good quality wooden tripods are excellent - but not exactly weather proof.

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

nqjudo
Goldmember
2,679 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Canada
Mar 28, 2015 16:16 |  #6

I've thought about this one for a while. I don't use a tripod around salt water but I fish in it an awful lot. The salt water always destroys everything. Even things constructed for use in or around it. I can't really think of anything that would stand up to constant or extended use around the stuff. Whatever you end up getting it will last longer if you rinse it with fresh water after use.

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. - Edward Steichen.

peter_n
Goldmember
2,350 posts
Joined Apr 2010
Boston, MA
Mar 29, 2015 08:14 |  #7

I've also used my Gitzo systematic on beaches and in the sea but have been very careful with it. Same with my travel tripod. Last year I bought a heavy duty inexpensive aluminum tripod for seashore work. The thing is solid as a rock but essentially a throwaway when it gets beyond repair in a few years time.

~Peter

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,305 posts
Joined Apr 2003
British Columbia
Mar 29, 2015 09:50 |  #8

peter_n wrote in post #17496537external link
I've also used my Gitzo systematic on beaches and in the sea but have been very careful with it. Same with my travel tripod. Last year I bought a heavy duty inexpensive aluminum tripod for seashore work. The thing is solid as a rock but essentially a throwaway when it gets beyond repair in a few years time.

Yes, you can pick up old Manfrotto tripods for just about nothing. They are heavy, but very stable. Like you said, treat them as throw away.

TheInfamousGreedo
Goldmember
1,609 posts
Joined Jun 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Mar 29, 2015 19:29 |  #9

peter_n wrote in post #17496537external link

Valid point about the aluminum. I currently have a Manfrotto and I am picking up a Gitzo very soon. I had been thinking of selling the Manfrotto, but this makes me reconsider and plan to keep it. I'll be moving to Portland and on the ocean more often and I'd rather not destroy the Gitzo prematurely.

TJ Simon (external link)
flickr (external link)
Instagram (external link)

sponsored links

1,274 views & 4 likes for this thread
Tripod for all conditions
FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.