Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography
Thread started 29 Mar 2015 (Sunday) 19:20
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Conversation overheard during photography Meetup

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
12,552 posts
Joined May 2004
USA
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by RDKirk.
Mar 31, 2015 07:31 |  #46

moose10101 wrote in post #17499073external link
Arrogant and ignorant at the same time; kudos to you.

No, kit lenses aren't L glass, but one of the reasons for their price is the fact that lots of them are made, reducing the unit cost. You remember Econ 101, right? If you can't produce a good photo with Rebel/kit glass, your creds as a "professional" are in doubt.

The reason they're cheaper is less expensive structural design (e.g., single zoom and focusing helicoils instead of double helicoils), les expensive materials (e.g., more plastic instead of metal or aluminum instead of brass), and simpler optical design (e.g., variable maximum aperture or smaller maximum aperture).

That might reduce versatility, maintainability, and robustness (all factors valuable to a professional), but as I've said before, at the middle f-stops where family portrait photographers live they're just as good. In a family portrait taken on a nice afternoon at f/8, there is no L lens that is an optically superior choice to the Canon 50mm f/1.8.

sponsored links
moose10101
registered smartass
1,568 posts
Joined May 2010
Maryland, USA
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by moose10101.
Mar 31, 2015 08:11 |  #47

RDKirk wrote in post #17499110external link
The reason they're cheaper is less expensive structural design (e.g., single zoom and focusing helicoils instead of double helicoils), les expensive materials (e.g., more plastic instead of metal or aluminum instead of brass), and simpler optical design (e.g., variable maximum aperture or smaller maximum aperture).

Yes, that is also ONE of the reasons (probably the main reason), but not the only reason. I did not claim that "economies of scale" was the only factor.

benji25
Joined Jan 2010
Twin Cities
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by benji25.
Mar 31, 2015 09:09 |  #48

moose10101 wrote in post #17499073external link
Arrogant and ignorant at the same time; kudos to you.

No, kit lenses aren't L glass, but one of the reasons for their price is the fact that lots of them are made, reducing the unit cost. You remember Econ 101, right? If you can't produce a good photo with Rebel/kit glass, your creds as a "professional" are in doubt.

God knows what you'd think of the 50-year old lenses I used on my Rebel to produce photos that people bought to display in their homes.

You actually are required to charge them 1965 dollars because that is the real value of your work - when you bought your gear.

Have fun selling a print for 65 cents.

RDKirk wrote in post #17499110external link
That might reduce versatility, maintainability, and robustness (all factors valuable to a professional),

None of which effect image quality. Versatility maybe but usually that just makes an image easier, not better.

Websiteexternal link
flickrexternal link

moose10101
registered smartass
1,568 posts
Joined May 2010
Maryland, USA
Mar 31, 2015 10:46 |  #49

benji25 wrote in post #17499202external link
You actually are required to charge them 1965 dollars because that is the real value of your work - when you bought your gear.

Have fun selling a print for 65 cents.

Actually, I bought them all in the past few years, for a fraction of their 1960's price. List price on my Micro-Nikkor was $179 back in 1963. I paid $40 in 2012. Great lens. So I guess I have to charge 19 cents per print.

RDKirk
12,552 posts
Joined May 2004
USA
Mar 31, 2015 10:49 |  #50

moose10101 wrote in post #17499288external link
Actually, I bought them all in the past few years, for a fraction of their 1960's price. List price on my Micro-Nikkor was $179 back in 1963. I paid $40 in 2012. Great lens. So I guess I have to charge 19 cents per print.

That never works for me. The old 60s and 70s equipment I want to buy always costs at least as much now used as it cost then new.

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Mar 31, 2015 11:38 |  #51

dkizzle wrote in post #17498419external link
I went to B&H & looked up what a Rebel body & kit lens costs and a t5 with 18-55mm is $399. This is the top of the line Rebel and used can probably be had for $300. It is very possible that he had an earlier model t4 or t3 which is worth even less. When the job costs more than equipment used you cannot expect miracles.

Just to argue and nitpick about equipment, since that's apparently what we're here for:

The T5 that you're seeing for $399 is not the same as the T5i. The T5 is arguably at the very bottom end of the Rebel line, with only the most basic of functions and a 4:3 sensor.

Even if you did intend to say the T5i (not the T5), it's not the "top of the line Rebel" any more either; it has been superseded by the T6i.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

benji25
Joined Jan 2010
Twin Cities
Mar 31, 2015 12:06 |  #52

dkizzle wrote in post #17498419external link
When the job costs more than equipment used you cannot expect miracles.

If the job isn't paying more than what you pay for equipment you will be out of business before you even get in to business.

Websiteexternal link
flickrexternal link

dkizzle
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,184 posts
Joined Mar 2012
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by dkizzle.
Mar 31, 2015 12:38 |  #53

nathancarter wrote in post #17499341external link
Just to argue and nitpick about equipment, since that's apparently what we're here for:

The T5 that you're seeing for $399 is not the same as the T5i. The T5 is arguably at the very bottom end of the Rebel line, with only the most basic of functions and a 4:3 sensor.

Even if you did intend to say the T5i (not the T5), it's not the "top of the line Rebel" any more either; it has been superseded by the T6i.

I apologize I went to B&H and what I posted was the first Rebel that popped up after bigger models. Nevertheless I was trying to imply that his body was older and had overall lower value than the cost of the job.

benji25 wrote in post #17499379external link
If the job isn't paying more than what you pay for equipment you will be out of business before you even get in to business.

So if I use 5dm3 + 70-200mm 2.8L IS II to take portraits I should charge few thousand dollars for each job? Thanks for the advice, when I get asked to shoot a wedding again I will offer them a great deal and ask them to buy me a full wedding kit and do the wedding in exchange for equipment. This will be cheaper than me charging them more than the equipment is worth.

I want to guest blog on your Landscape / Travel photography blog, PM for details

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Mar 31, 2015 13:05 |  #54

Those are the worst portraits I've ever seen.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

travisvwright
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2013
NC
Post has been last edited over 2 years ago by travisvwright. 2 edits done in total.
Mar 31, 2015 13:10 as a reply to dkizzle's post |  #55

Wow total jerk move (and I'm pretty sure against POTN rules). Also with some very minor PP I could make that second one a really good image.

I come here for your expert opinion. Please do not hesitate to critique or edit.
70D, T3i, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC, Canon 50 1.4, Canon 100 2.8 Macro, Canon 85 1.8, Canon 10-18 4.5 STM

Franklin NC Photographer Travis Wright (external link)

Qlayer2
OOOHHH! Pretty Moth!
Joined Dec 2013
Detroit, MI
Mar 31, 2015 13:10 as a reply to dkizzle's post |  #56

You can't post images that aren't yours- you probably want to remove those.

Support this site - donate here

BlakeC
"Dad was a meat cutter"
Joined Jul 2014
West Michigan, USA
Mar 31, 2015 13:13 |  #57

travisvwright wrote in post #17499440external link
Wow total jerk move (and I'm pretty sure against POTN rules). Also with some very minor PP I could make that second one a really good image.

Yup! I was thinking the same thing with the second one!

Blake C
BlakeC-Photography.com (external link)
Follow Me on Facebook (external link) , Instagram (external link), or Google+ (external link)
80D |70D | SL1 - Σ 18-35 1.8 ART, Σ 50-100 1.8 ART, Σ 17-50 2.8, Canon 24 2.8 Pancake, Canon 50 1.8 STM, Canon 10-18 STM, Canon 18-135 STM

benji25
Joined Jan 2010
Twin Cities
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by benji25.
Mar 31, 2015 13:17 |  #58

dkizzle wrote in post #17499415external link
So if I use 5dm3 + 70-200mm 2.8L IS II to take portraits I should charge few thousand dollars for each job? Thanks for the advice, when I get asked to shoot a wedding again I will offer them a great deal and ask them to buy me a full wedding kit and do the wedding in exchange for equipment. This will be cheaper than me charging them more than the equipment is worth.

Here are few pictures photographer took at this Meetup.

Then what do you mean if the job costs more than the equipment you cannot expect miracles? And many wedding photographers charge much more than what a 5D3 and 70-200 cost.

This just goes to show that you should not charge based on what you pay for your gear (aside from each client's appropriation of the cost of maintenance/replacemen​t).

You are taking one inexperienced photographer and saying that the equipment they use is not capable of producing professional results. That is blatantly false. Set up two canvases. Both have the same easel, canvas, paint and brushes. Put me in front of one and Picasso in front of the other. We both paid maybe $5 for the brush and $5 for the paint.

Should we both charge $20? I mean, we paid the same for the gear.

Assume I paid $1,000 for my brush and paint. Should I charge more than Picasso? Van Gough?

Sure there are people who have a $5 brush and suck at painting. But A master with the some brush could do Starry Night.

Websiteexternal link
flickrexternal link

RDKirk
12,552 posts
Joined May 2004
USA
Mar 31, 2015 13:28 |  #59

benji25 wrote in post #17499449external link
Then what do you mean if the job costs more than the equipment you cannot expect miracles? And many wedding photographers charge much more than what a 5D3 and 70-200 cost.

This just goes to show that you should not charge based on what you pay for your gear (aside from each client's appropriation of the cost of maintenance/replacemen​t).

You are taking one inexperienced photographer and saying that the equipment they use is not capable of producing professional results. That is blatantly false. Set up two canvases. Both have the same easel, canvas, paint and brushes. Put me in front of one and Picasso in front of the other. We both paid maybe $5 for the brush and $5 for the paint.

Assume I paid $1,000 for my brush and paint. Should I charge more than Picasso? Van Gough?

Sure there are people who have a $5 brush and suck at painting. But A master with the some brush could do Starry Night.

There is an applicable quote from Picasso about the huge price he charged for a portrait he had sketched out in five minutes with a ball-point pen on a restaurant napkin.

dkizzle
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,184 posts
Joined Mar 2012
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by dkizzle.
Mar 31, 2015 14:41 as a reply to RDKirk's post |  #60

travisvwright wrote in post #17499440external link

So with minor PP the snapshot that you liked would be worth $300?

BlakeC wrote in post #17499445external link
Yup! I was thinking the same thing with the second one!

So with minor PP the snapshot that you liked would be worth $300?

benji25 wrote in post #17499449external link

Another person stated that every photography job should pay you more than your equipment is worth which I disputed. The reference to 5dm3 + 70-200 was for 1 portrait only not for a full wedding.

I never said that nobody is able of producing good results with low end body & lens. Novice photographer would not have better compositions / lighting / ideas when using better equipment. Everything would be the same except for ability to use better body & possibly faster lens.

I want to guest blog on your Landscape / Travel photography blog, PM for details

sponsored links

9,022 views & 3 likes for this thread
Conversation overheard during photography Meetup
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.