Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge
Thread started 07 Oct 2010 (Thursday) 02:54
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

GKPE 8, Yet more NZ ramblings from some flightless Kiwis.

Mark0159
I say stupid things all the time
12,717 posts
Gallery: 27 photos
Joined Mar 2003
Hamilton, New Zealand
Apr 15, 2015 18:57 |  #7261

RobDickinson wrote in post #17518718external link
The 11-24 looks great but not sure I need that wide in one frame that often, without filters.

like the 17-40 there is a place at the back of the lense to place a filter. Not to sure where you get them from tho. And of course if you wanted to use a CP then that's out of the question. the front element just comes out to far.

Mark
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/52782633@N04 (external link)
Canon EOS 6D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 17-40mm f/4L USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM | Tamron SP 35mm F1.8 Di VC USD | Canon Speedlite 550EX -|- Film | Canon EOS 3 | Olympus OM2 | Zuiko 35mm f2

sponsored links
idkdc
Goldmember
2,799 posts
Joined Oct 2014
Apr 15, 2015 18:59 as a reply to post 17518858 |  #7262

Any of them here on POTN? I'd like to pick them brains a little. At the very least get to know more about the area for curiosity if it's not possible to work long term due to visa issues. Whenever they're not swamped, of course.

1DIII through 1DXII(2) | 5D2-4 | 5DS | 8-800mm
XT2 | 16-140mm

RobDickinson
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2010
New Zealand
Apr 15, 2015 19:18 |  #7263

Mark0159 wrote in post #17518901external link
like the 17-40 there is a place at the back of the lense to place a filter. Not to sure where you get them from tho. And of course if you wanted to use a CP then that's out of the question. the front element just comes out to far.

Kodak wraten filters I think. OK for ND only, they work but do fade over time etc.

I shoot almost all my stuff with grads, I could go for bracketing and blending I guess but that has its own problems. May oddly work better on the sony...

www.HeroWorkshops.com (external link) - www.rjd.co.nz (external link) - www.zarphag.com (external link)
Gear: A7r, 6D, Irix 15mmf2.4 , canon 16-35f4L, Canon 24mm TS-E f3.5 mk2, Sigma 50mm art, 70-200f2.8L, 400L. Lee filters, iOptron IPano, Emotimo TB3, Markins, Feisol, Novoflex, Sirui. etc.

Moppie
THREAD ­ STARTER
14,715 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Sep 2004
Akarana, Aotearoa. (Kiwiland)
Apr 15, 2015 21:50 |  #7264

idkdc wrote in post #17518905external link
Any of them here on POTN? I'd like to pick them brains a little. At the very least get to know more about the area for curiosity if it's not possible to work long term due to visa issues. Whenever they're not swamped, of course.

There are a couple of members who are active wedding photogs, but like most of us who have moved into the professional realm they are not as active any more.

The wedding market here is big, and a lot of money is spent on the industry. It's got so crowded now that your not only competing with other photogs, but with other services for a share of the budget.

Like anywhere else we have very low, and very high budget weddings, with a full spread in between, and lot of providers catering to all areas. At the low end it is a saturated market, but I think you would find room at the high end if you can present something different.
Marketing, relationship building and establishing a local presence would be hard if your only here 6 months of the year. We are a small country, everyone knows everyone and most business is done by work of mouth. At the wealthy end of the market it's even tougher, we have a large middle class population, and only a small elite wealthy one.
Being here for only half a year would make that relationship building hard. If the wedding planning and sourcing process occurs during winter for a summer event, your going to find it hard to do the meet and greet when competing with a local provider.

There will be ways to get a visa, plenty of international photogs move in and out of NZ for advertising shoots. Since you plan on doing business here you would need to set up New Zealand company, but that is VERY easy to do, even if your based overseas. That would cover you for tax and GST purposes.

The biggest problem would be managing your gear. Being in the southern hemisphere the seasons are reversed, but so are a lot of other things. The cost of getting your bodies and lenses re-calibrated and the orientation changed for each hemisphere every time you move could get very expensive, and it might be easier to invest in two set ups.

flickrexternal link

Have you Calibrated your Monkey lately?

idkdc
Goldmember
2,799 posts
Joined Oct 2014
Apr 15, 2015 21:56 |  #7265

Moppie wrote in post #17519125external link
There are a couple of members who are active wedding photogs, but like most of us who have moved into the professional realm they are not as active any more.

The wedding market here is big, and a lot of money is spent on the industry. It's got so crowded now that your not only competing with other photogs, but with other services for a share of the budget.

Like anywhere else we have very low, and very high budget weddings, with a full spread in between, and lot of providers catering to all areas. At the low end it is a saturated market, but I think you would find room at the high end if you can present something different.
Marketing, relationship building and establishing a local presence would be hard if your only here 6 months of the year. We are a small country, everyone knows everyone and most business is done by work of mouth. At the wealthy end of the market it's even tougher, we have a large middle class population, and only a small elite wealthy one.
Being here for only half a year would make that relationship building hard. If the wedding planning and sourcing process occurs during winter for a summer event, your going to find it hard to do the meet and greet when competing with a local provider.

There will be ways to get a visa, plenty of international photogs move in and out of NZ for advertising shoots. Since you plan on doing business here you would need to set up New Zealand company, but that is VERY easy to do, even if your based overseas. That would cover you for tax and GST purposes.

The biggest problem would be managing your gear. Being in the southern hemisphere the seasons are reversed, but so are a lot of other things. The cost of getting your bodies and lenses re-calibrated and the orientation changed for each hemisphere every time you move could get very expensive, and it might be easier to invest in two set ups.

Wow, that was super helpful, thanks a bunch! I think the New Zealand company might be my best bet if I do think seriously about it. What do you mean about recalibrating bodies and lenses though for the Southern Hemisphere? I'm not sure if I completely understand.

Any chance you can point me towards those POTN members? Maybe I can ask them to second shoot or something just to get started. Definitely looking for high end and medium end market, for sure.

XT2 | 16-140mm

RobDickinson
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2010
New Zealand
Apr 15, 2015 22:00 |  #7266

idkdc wrote in post #17519134external link
What do you mean about recalibrating bodies and lenses though for the Southern Hemisphere? I'm not sure if I completely understand

I think he is just pulling your leg there...

www.HeroWorkshops.com (external link) - www.rjd.co.nz (external link) - www.zarphag.com (external link)
Gear: A7r, 6D, Irix 15mmf2.4 , canon 16-35f4L, Canon 24mm TS-E f3.5 mk2, Sigma 50mm art, 70-200f2.8L, 400L. Lee filters, iOptron IPano, Emotimo TB3, Markins, Feisol, Novoflex, Sirui. etc.

idkdc
Goldmember
2,799 posts
Joined Oct 2014
Post has been last edited over 2 years ago by idkdc. 2 edits done in total.
Apr 15, 2015 22:02 |  #7267

RobDickinson wrote in post #17519137external link
I think he is just pulling your leg there...

Hehe. Good one!

XT2 | 16-140mm

Mark ­ Vuleta
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2006
Auckland NZ
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by Mark Vuleta.
Apr 15, 2015 22:20 |  #7268

Moppie wrote in post #17519125external link
.......... and the orientation changed for each hemisphere every time you move ...........

Well there is a point of difference, upside down wedding photo's from a northern hemisphere camera... :p

RobDickinson
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2010
New Zealand
Apr 15, 2015 22:27 |  #7269

Though my UK TV , a 32" sony CRT did have to get binned because of the different magnetics of the southern hemisphere!

idkdc
Goldmember
2,799 posts
Joined Oct 2014
Apr 15, 2015 23:24 |  #7270

RobDickinson wrote in post #17519166external link
Though my UK TV , a 32" sony CRT did have to get binned because of the different magnetics of the southern hemisphere!

Oh...is there a remote chance that he wasn't kidding?

XT2 | 16-140mm

idkdc
Goldmember
2,799 posts
Joined Oct 2014
Apr 15, 2015 23:43 |  #7271

RobDickinson wrote in post #17519166external link

Oh, I think I found the answer to why that happened! http://www.webopedia.c​om ...re/MonitorHemispher​es.aspexternal link Looks like I'm safe for now, haha.

XT2 | 16-140mm

weka2000
Is that a 300mm in your pocket?
20,563 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2005
Auckland
Apr 16, 2015 00:05 |  #7272

RobDickinson wrote in post #17518718external link
The 11-24 looks great but not sure I need that wide in one frame that often, without filters.

Be worth hiring before buying. The fact you cant have front filters (yet) is an issue for me as well

RobDickinson
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2010
New Zealand
Apr 16, 2015 01:23 |  #7273

weka2000 wrote in post #17519229external link
Be worth hiring before buying. The fact you cant have front filters (yet) is an issue for me as well

The size and angles are all wrong for a wondapana kind of system on the front. For anything square/flat to work it needs to be behind the middle of the front element some I think. Perhaps OK down to 14mm but wider? And that just wouldnt be worth the expense.

joeseph
"smells like turd"
Joined Jan 2004
Auckland, New Zealand
Apr 16, 2015 04:12 |  #7274

speaking of photography, are there any N.Z. locals interested in hosting a nifty 50mm f/1.8 in the next wee while? I managed to get one quite cheap recently (okay it was in two halves at the time) and will be adding it to the number of units floating around the potn-sphere for folks to borrow/loan & take shots for the "Where's Nifty" thread. Knowing a lot of you are superb photographers, we/you should be able to raise the standard somewhat... any takers?

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II converted for IR, and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

idkdc
Goldmember
2,799 posts
Joined Oct 2014
Apr 16, 2015 10:15 |  #7275

RobDickinson wrote in post #17519301external link
The size and angles are all wrong for a wondapana kind of system on the front. For anything square/flat to work it needs to be behind the middle of the front element some I think. Perhaps OK down to 14mm but wider? And that just wouldnt be worth the expense.

Seems like like exposure blending is the only realistic option.

XT2 | 16-140mm

sponsored links

718,033 views & 375 likes for this thread
GKPE 8, Yet more NZ ramblings from some flightless Kiwis.
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.