Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Pets Talk
Thread started 24 Apr 2015 (Friday) 19:14
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Scent Detection Competition

D-nickerson
Hatchling
Joined Dec 2014
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Apr 24, 2015 19:14 |  #1

Hey guys,

I've done a lot of dog sport photography in the past but they were all high speed and outdoors. This weekend I've got a scent detection trial that I am photographing, and part of it is indoors. I'm planning to use my 50mm and my 70-200mmf2.8 lenses, but wondered if anyone has photographed this type of event before.

If so, do you have any tips, or examples of photos I can see?

Thanks tons and wish me luck!
Des

Seamus69
Joined Nov 2010
Pensacola
Apr 27, 2015 22:10 |  #2

I hope this didn't arrive too late. If the trial is like the NACSW trials in the US, there are 4 elements: Interior, generally a large room like a classroom, Exterior, generally like an outside courtyard or picnic area. A vehicle search of 4 vehicles parked in a row or side by side, and finally a container search which is boxes, suitcases, backpacks, etc. strewn about a large room. Your proposed selection of lens should work well for you. You will likely be asked to keep a minimum distance from the dogs so they can work without you as a distraction. Outside the telephoto will be ideal. Inside, you may want to stay with the 70-200 depending on the room size. The teams should be working methodically checking every nook and cranny for the scent so you won't need extremely fast shutter speeds. I doubt flash will be allowed as it will be distracting to the dogs. The 50 may be handy in a smaller room. If they will tell you where the hide is before each run (be sure to ask), you can position yourself for best shots as the teams hone in on the hide. Good luck!

Canon 60D, 5Diii, 24-105, 24-70ii, 70-200 f2.8 ii is, 580ex, (2)430ex

1,649 views & 0 likes for this thread
Scent Detection Competition
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Pets Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.