Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk
Thread started 15 Jan 2015 (Thursday) 12:08
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Does anyone shoot with both crop and FF?

picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
8,552 posts
Joined Jan 2006
Alberta, CANADA
Mar 11, 2015 12:58 |  #16

frugivore wrote in post #17470007external link
My partner uses a 7D and 5D2. He usually has the 24-70mm on the 5D2 and the 70-200mm on the 7D. I use two identical bodies though.

Sure, you get more magnification using a crop sensor. But the safety of having an identical body outweighs that advantage. What if the full frame stops working, even for just five minutes? And don't discount the difficulty of switching between two sets of controls. When things are happening quickly, every millisecond counts.

And regarding the benefit of a lens being two different angles of view on a crop and full frame, if you really need those different angles of view, just use a zoom. Or have two primes with those focal lengths.

Well, everybody has their opinion on what is an advantage, and what isn't. Having an identical body is definitely not seen as an advantage to me. When I shot just full frame, I carried around a 135. Now with a crop, I have dropped the 135 from my setup completely. That is better than having an additional lens in the bag IMO. I've even considered getting a 300mm because 200mm on full frame REALLY isn't that long. You gotta be pretty darn close to get a half or third length shot for reception shooting. But 200mm on a crop solved that for me. Now I don't feel like I am obstructing anyone's view as I can shoot much further back.

Also, I just like the look of my primes on crop better than FF. The DOF is just too damn narrow on FF. Sure I can stop down, but bokeh is ALWAYS nicest wide open. A lens' given character is always described from it's wide open character. Crop gives me just enough DOF, and the most pleasing look of being wide open. Great when you have more than one person in the picture (like a wedding).

I shot FF exclusively for 15 years (film). I was THRILLED to suddenly have another option. It really opened a lot of creative and logistical doors for me. In the end, it's all about what advantages speak to you. For some, it's FF all the way, and for me, crop will always have my heart. I'd rather lose my FF body than my crop.

-Lloyd
The BOUDOIR - Edmonton Intimate Boudoir Photographyexternal link
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Studio Family Baby Child Maternity Wedding Photographersexternal link
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Headshot Photographersexternal link
Facebookexternal link | Twitterexternal link |Instagramexternal link | Gear

sponsored links
frugivore
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2010
Toronto, Canada
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by frugivore.
Mar 11, 2015 16:31 as a reply to picturecrazy's post |  #17

I understand your point about shooting wide open for the best quality bokeh. However, I would argue that f/1.4 - even on a crop - sometimes does not give you enough depth of field (think headshots or a couple not on the same plane of focus). And conversely, sometimes f/1.4 on full frame doesn't give you shallow enough depth of field, such as full body shots of someone at a distance (perhaps rare, but it happens and a crop would be less effective here).

Now when you're taking about putting a prime on a crop to get more depth of field, that requires you to move back to get the same frame. And that introduces the possibility of others getting in your shot, for example, in a crowded room.

But you're right. Each person should figure out what works for them.

rejay14
Joined Mar 2009
St. Catharines, Ontario
Mar 23, 2015 01:56 |  #18

frugivore wrote in post #17470007external link
My partner uses a 7D and 5D2. He usually has the 24-70mm on the 5D2 and the 70-200mm on the 7D. I use two identical bodies though.

Sure, you get more magnification using a crop sensor. But the safety of having an identical body outweighs that advantage. What if the full frame stops working, even for just five minutes? And don't discount the difficulty of switching between two sets of controls. When things are happening quickly, every millisecond counts.

And regarding the benefit of a lens being two different angles of view on a crop and full frame, if you really need those different angles of view, just use a zoom. Or have two primes with those focal lengths.

My 5D3 and 7D2 controls are almost exactly the same, so transition is seamless. Milliseconds? They feel like it on a wedding for sure!

7D2/70-200 2.8 IS II and 5D3/24-70 2.8 II cover almost everything I need.

1DX Mark II, 5D Mark IV, 40D,Rebel XT :lol:, 70-200L 2.8 IS II, 100-400L IS II,24-105 II L, 100mmL 2.8 IS, 16-35L 2.8 II, 24-70 2.8L II, Sigma 50mm 1.4 Art, Sekonic 758DR, Pixma 9500 II, Pixma 9000 II, Think Tank Airport Accelerator v2.0, Canon 600EX-RT x 5, Profoto B1 Kit with too many modifiers http://...www.PrestigePhotoPro.c​om (external link) Portfolio (external link)
Concert Photography (external link)

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
Joined Oct 2007
Gig Harbor, Washington
Mar 24, 2015 09:31 |  #19

rejay14 wrote in post #17487660 (external link)
My 5D3 and 7D2 controls are almost exactly the same, so transition is seamless. Milliseconds? They feel like it on a wedding for sure!

7D2/70-200 2.8 IS II and 5D3/24-70 2.8 II cover almost everything I need.

Ha- Too Funny

I opted to go the 17-55 v/s the 24-70 route and could not be happier. Saved me $1100.00 and images look great

this is 7D2 with a 17-55. These are straight offs with a LR import preset. Happy with 7D2 for wedding work. Does a great job and 17-55 is super sharp

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Mike
www.umphotography.comexternal link
GEAR LIST
Facebookexternal link

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,789 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Mar 24, 2015 09:58 |  #20

I'm shooting in 3 formats, the most recent addition was my first full frame, the 5D3.

Until the 5D3, I had little or no interest in larger sensors as I have been shooting primarily with the old APS-H 1.3x that was only found on the 1D series, a best of both worlds sensor size.

I still shoot with an APS-C EF-S combo on occasion as well, so currently I shoot all three.

APS-C = Xti infrared, SL1

APS-H = 1D4 and 1D2

35mm = 5D3

I'm considering grabbing a 7D2 which move the APS-C up a notch towards one of my main wildlife bodies (now filled by 1D4 and 5D3 exclusively)

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

rebelsimon
Goldmember
1,136 posts
Joined Nov 2013
Whitby, ON
Mar 24, 2015 10:22 |  #21

I always assumed I'd go FF eventually, but as time goes on I don't feel limited very often by aps-c. I edit full frame files quite often (most second shooters I work with shoot FF) and while there is a difference, it's tough to justify the cost from a business perspective. The only real advantage for me going full frame is DOF for full body portraits. But usually on a wedding day, f1.8 - f2.8 on a crop is as narrow as you really want. I printed an ISO 800 shot at 20"x30" from my 70d last week and you can put your nose up to paper and the detail holds up. 11-16mm, 17-5xmm, 18-35mm, 50-150mm, so many good reasons to stick to a crop.

Personally I don't plan on mixing formats, if I go full frame I'll sell my crop lenses.

Toronto area photographer http://www.SimonMellic​kPhotography.com (external link)
Cameras:5Diii (x2), 70D
Lenses:Rokinon 14mm f2.8, Voightlander 20mm f3.5, Canon 24-70 f2.8ii, Tamron 35mm f1.8 VC, Canon 50mm STM, Tamron 90mm 2.8 VC, Canon 135mm f2
Lights: AD600, AD200 (x2), V850 (x4)

rejay14
Joined Mar 2009
St. Catharines, Ontario
Mar 31, 2015 02:52 as a reply to umphotography's post |  #22

You can do tons of PP with these shots!

.. your shots vs LR/CC14= lump of modelling clay vs Michaelangelo

1DX Mark II, 5D Mark IV, 40D,Rebel XT :lol:, 70-200L 2.8 IS II, 100-400L IS II,24-105 II L, 100mmL 2.8 IS, 16-35L 2.8 II, 24-70 2.8L II, Sigma 50mm 1.4 Art, Sekonic 758DR, Pixma 9500 II, Pixma 9000 II, Think Tank Airport Accelerator v2.0, Canon 600EX-RT x 5, Profoto B1 Kit with too many modifiers http://...www.PrestigePhotoPro.c​om (external link) Portfolio (external link)
Concert Photography (external link)

benji25
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2010
Twin Cities
May 11, 2015 11:19 as a reply to rejay14's post |  #23

So I shot my first wedding this weekend. I used my 60D and 5D Classic. I simply love the shots from the 5D. It may have been lens selection (I had the 135L on the 5d) but I think a lot of it might still be FF v crop. I will probably consider going all full frame when 5D mark IV comes out. I will post some sample shots later.

It is also pretty telling that a 10ish year old camera produce amazing results still even though tech has gone a long way since then. Just goes to show that lenses are the better investment.

Websiteexternal link
flickrexternal link

Tigerkn
Goldmember
4,045 posts
Joined Feb 2009
CA
May 11, 2015 12:37 |  #24

Congrats on your first Ben!

Website (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Gears (external link)

benji25
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2010
Twin Cities
May 11, 2015 12:51 as a reply to Tigerkn's post |  #25

Thanks - I had a blast. I enjoyed using the primes for the formals and bridal party shoots but for the reception (speeches/caked cutting etc.) I think everything is too fast paced for primes. Part of that is because I wasn't sure of the layout of everything before hand (lesson learned) but I think shooting a wide angle zoom and a medium/short telephoto zoom would make it a lot easier. I was trying to switch between the wedding part, people in the crowd, ant the people giving the speeches and I missed a lot of shots because I wasn't versatile enough.

Websiteexternal link
flickrexternal link

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
Joined Oct 2007
Gig Harbor, Washington
May 11, 2015 19:28 |  #26

The 17-55 is just killer on the 7D2. I have read all the complaints about the AF system. I dont see it on mine. Maybe we just got an exceptional copy. But this camera can do anything

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Mike
GEAR LIST
Facebookexternal link

tim
Light Bringer
50,866 posts
Joined Nov 2004
Wellington, New Zealand
May 11, 2015 20:33 |  #27

umphotography wrote in post #17552602external link
The 17-55 is just killer on the 7D2. I have read all the complaints about the AF system. I dont see it on mine. Maybe we just got an exceptional copy. But this camera can do anything

How'd you process that second image? Looks killer. I can do it easily with Snapseed on my phone, but I've never managed to replicate the look with ACR.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
Joined Oct 2007
Gig Harbor, Washington
May 11, 2015 21:27 |  #28

tim wrote in post #17552685external link
How'd you process that second image? Looks killer. I can do it easily with Snapseed on my phone, but I've never managed to replicate the look with ACR.

Almost all LR Tim. I used an ND and a circular when i took the shot.

The rest was LR. Brushed in the sky and dropped the exposure by another stop and cranked up the clarity and contract. The cranked up clarity and contrast and warmed it. Might of had a Nic Tonal added. Not 100% sure on the Nic

Mike
GEAR LIST
Facebookexternal link

benji25
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2010
Twin Cities
May 11, 2015 22:47 as a reply to umphotography's post |  #29

Here are a few from the first batch of edits:

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8840/16919550444_a0fb78d6b7_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/rM87​SY] (external link)_MG_6815 (external link) by Ben Modica (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5330/17541971441_87945b8765_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/sJ8b​Xt] (external link)_MG_6887 (external link) by Ben Modica (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5328/16921764163_7d7ae31688_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/rMjs​Wx] (external link)_MG_6920 (external link) by Ben Modica (external link), on Flickr

Websiteexternal link
flickrexternal link

bidkev
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2013
From Blackpool UK to Brisbane Australia 20 yrs ago
May 12, 2015 00:25 |  #30

Love my 5D3 but always have the 7d slung alongside it with the 70-300L on for the extra reach.............no wonder I've got a Hunchback! :-) recently got an olympus omd e-5 hoping the extra reach would cut down on the weight of the 7D but the images just didn't cut it after viewing full frames at 100%

See my fish and fishy photography tips here: https://kevindickinson​fineartphot.smugmug.co​m/Tropical-Fish-2/ (external link)
Canon 7D mk2 | Canon 6D, 100-400L mk2, Canon 24-105L, Canon 100 Macro | 24 EF-S 2.8 STM |Canon 1.4 Ex Mklll | Canon 580EXll| Kenko 12,20,36 Ext tubes |

sponsored links

6,987 views & 3 likes for this thread
Does anyone shoot with both crop and FF?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.