Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife
Thread started 24 Feb 2012 (Friday) 12:13
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

STICKY: BIRD PHOTOS DON'T BELONG IN WILDLIFE

Maureen ­ Souza
THREAD ­ STARTER
Ms. MODERATOR     Something Spectacular!
32,652 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2005
Central California
Nov 20, 2012 21:12 as a reply to post 15261070 |  #16

Spinner of Tales wrote in post #15259363external link
I'd say they still go in 'Birds', unless it is a photo of an actual hunt

Then why the heck are ducks being posted in the wildlife forum all the time..BIRD!
Cant agree with that one my friend. :rolleyes:

Spinner :)

If you see a duck in the wildlife, report it to be moved. I try to monitor these threads but I cannot watch every post. If it has wings and/or feathers, it belongs in the bird forum.

Spinner of Tales wrote in post #15260340external link
I was meaning that all birds go into the birds section, unless it was of a hunt, with pictures of hunters, guns, and the catch.

Understood that Vance, and so no one gets the wrong idea here. I agree birds should have their own section but comparing songbirds with game birds is like comparing apples and oranges. Just need that explained to me that's all. Rules are rules but they are not always right.

Spinner

Well you can also argue that lions compare to rabbits or zebras or a fox is like comparing apples to oranges, peaches & grapes but they all belong in Wildlife. :)

Life is hard...but I just take it one photograph at a time.

5DMK4
5DIII
Canon Lenses: 50/1.4, 85/1.2 135/2.0, 300/f4, 24-70/2.8 both I & II

sponsored links
Spinner ­ of ­ Tales
390 posts
Joined Jul 2011
N of I-80 in Pennsylvania
Nov 21, 2012 08:23 |  #17

Hi Maureen, thanks for getting back to me, Unfortunately I still do not agree with your rationalization BUT "When in Rome" and rules are rules so with that having been said. I guess well just have to agree to disagree and be done with this.

Have a great Thanksgiving

Spinner :)

http://spinneroftalesp​hotography.com/external link

slonina ­ photography
21 posts
Joined Dec 2010
Grafton, MA
Nov 21, 2012 15:42 |  #18

Maybe change the forum names to 'Wild Birds and Mammals etc

John Slonina
Slonina Nature Photography Tours/Workshopsexternal link

icopus
already gathering dust
Joined Dec 2010
In the shadows of Houston
Nov 21, 2012 16:58 as a reply to slonina photography's post |  #19

or 'Non-fowl Wildlife'

Camera hit me in the face, now I have a bokeh eye.
"Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar." - E.R. Murrow

Maureen ­ Souza
THREAD ­ STARTER
32,652 posts
Joined Feb 2005
Central California
Nov 25, 2012 13:53 |  #20

A long time ago, people were complaining that Wildlife was over run by bird shooters so we created a bird forum for them. Not eveyone will be 100% happy but it is what it is.

5DMK4
5DIII

StillwaterBill
22 posts
Joined Jan 2013
Southern California
Feb 28, 2013 21:46 |  #21

All of this sounds like a tempestous storm in chamber pot to me... :rolleyes:

Bill

ducklabdad
579 posts
Joined May 2009
Olive Branch Miss.
Mar 01, 2013 22:31 as a reply to Maureen Souza's post |  #22

I very much appreciate that the Bird, and the Wildlife are seperated. I would also like to suggest a "zoo" forum. I do admit that even though all would not agree, Zoo animals are Zoo animals, and are not "Wild" life.

I appreciate a competition and forums discussions etc, that are specific as to these two totally different types of photography.

But as my daddy always taught me, that is only my opinion, and opinions are like
"a--holes and belly buttions, we all have them and they all stink.

I appreciate the forum here very much and we all do have the choice to not participate if we do not want to.

Just an "ole dog" trying to learn "new tricks"! helpful advice is always welcome!!

Canon 7d, Canon XS/ XSi,18-55, 14-40 L, 70-300, and Bigmos! my"work in progress" http://ducklabdad.smug​mug.com/external link

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Mar 01, 2013 22:51 |  #23

Maureen,
Thanks for the work you do to keep things where they belong - it is appreciated.

One thing puzzles me:
We have a bird forum. And we have a wildlife forum.
Knowing this, how can anyone reasonably say that photos of birds do not belong in the bird forum, and that they should be put in the wildlife forum instead? That simply defies logic.
No one is saying that birds are not wildlife - we're just saying that bird photos belong in the bird forum, not in the wildlife forum. This is not a statement about what birds are and what they aren't - it's only a statement about which forum the photos belong in.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

Maureen ­ Souza
THREAD ­ STARTER
32,652 posts
Joined Feb 2005
Central California
Mar 02, 2013 01:32 |  #24

You are right Tom. Actually, the biggest offenders are newbies who haven't perused the forums enough to be familar with them. Or they haven't posted in a while & forget.

At least that's what they tell me :)

5DMK4
5DIII

xzoup
21 posts
Joined Nov 2011
Arkansas, USA
May 30, 2013 12:32 |  #25

I am so sick at looking at solo pics of flowers, I wish theere were a special place for them. Please don't scream at me just stating my opinion.

DannyC71
Joined Oct 2012
Near Chicago
May 30, 2013 12:48 |  #26

My take was that the "Wildlife" forum should not have any bird dedicated threads, plus Maureen did say to me previously that it's OK within threads like "Are you looking at me?" or "Zoo Animals". My opinion on the hunting thread is it's OK if you have someone posing with the turkey or duck that they just shot, but if you happen to take a nice solo shot of a bird while hunting that should go in the "Birds" forum.

My Pics on flickr (external link)
EOS 6D / Canon 15mm f/2.8 FishEye / Canon 17-40mm f/4 L USM / Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 DG HSM / Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 L USM / Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM / Canon 2x Extender II

HogansHeroes
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2010
Iowa
Jun 17, 2013 15:23 |  #27

So i put a Eagle on this forum sorry,How about a delete thread option?

"Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop."
-Ansel Adams

71model
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Sep 2013
Sep 01, 2013 16:19 as a reply to HogansHeroes's post |  #28

Well, what a great place to say hello to everyone, this will be my first post. I love photographing wildlife, particularly at a National Wildlife Refuge or while boat riding down the river. Sometimes I get out my car on the side of the road and take pics of whatever is available. Sometimes aligators, nutria, bobcats, and mostly migratory birds.
I like the challenge of taking birds in flight, it's satisfying when it comes out good. My favorite is of a pelican. The photo is so much different than a cardinal sitting on a branch. It's a symbol of Louisiana heritage blended with a natural "Bayou State" scene.

Hope you enjoy my photo, I look foward to chatting with some new photographers.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

bidkev
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2013
From Blackpool UK to Brisbane Australia 20 yrs ago
Sep 01, 2013 17:02 |  #29

71.............I see you've read the thread then :rolleyes: :lol:

See my fish and fishy photography tips here: https://kevindickinson​fineartphot.smugmug.co​m/Tropical-Fish-2/ (external link)
Canon 7D mk2 | Canon 6D, 100-400L mk2, Canon 24-105L, Canon 100 Macro | 24 EF-S 2.8 STM |Canon 1.4 Ex Mklll | Canon 580EXll| Kenko 12,20,36 Ext tubes |

Derbyshots992
Joined Mar 2015
May 13, 2015 18:52 |  #30

Lots of people complaining but not a single link to the other thread.
Birds are wildlife regardless of what you think.

sponsored links

31,032 views & 15 likes for this thread
BIRD PHOTOS DON'T BELONG IN WILDLIFE
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.