Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Underwater Photography Talk
Thread started 29 Jan 2015 (Thursday) 04:10
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Underwater portraits?

DoughnutPhoto
Joined Aug 2014
the Netherlands
Jan 29, 2015 04:10 |  #1

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone here is making underwater portraits?
It's something I'd love to explore but I'm not sure about the equipment. The GoPro someone mentioned in another thread isn't an option due to the fisheye lens. A housing for my existing camera is very expensive.

There are some rugged point and shoot cameras out there which I am considering as well as the Nikon 1 AW1. I'm considering the Nikon most of all because it will double as a capable mirrorless camera when I'm high and dry ;). But it's an expensive option which doesn't work with my flashes.

Canon 5d, 60d, 17-40mm L, 30mm Art, 50mm, 85mm

sponsored links
Paul ­ S
585 posts
Joined Jan 2008
New England
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by Paul S.
Jan 29, 2015 18:20 |  #2

You mean like this ?
Used a ELP 5 Olympus with there housing ....setup was under 1K......Flashes where almost another a few different lens to choose from......Sony also makes some nice packages....Try
bluewaterphotostore.co​m

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Profile / Maxprepsexternal link external link

Paul ­ S
585 posts
Joined Jan 2008
New England
Jan 29, 2015 18:32 |  #3

Just having fun

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Profile / Maxprepsexternal link external link

Drk ­ Orange
Joined Apr 2004
Yeppoon, Queensland, Australia
Jan 30, 2015 18:26 |  #4

There are (relatively) cheap "underwater camera bags" that fit the majority of SLR cameras. I bought one to give some underwater portraits a go, and have only played with it once but am hoping to do some more serious shots with it. Some tips I picked up:

* Shoot in RAW for colour correction
* Shoot as wide as possible
* Don't bother trying to frame the shot, just stay still and point the camera in the general direction

I wouldn't trust them in salt water, but they'd be fine for swimming pools.

DoughnutPhoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Aug 2014
the Netherlands
Jan 31, 2015 08:11 |  #5

Looks good Paul! I was thinking a little more towards the surface (lets say I won't go below 3m / 10ft).

Thanks for the pointers Drk Orange! I'm currently looking at the DIY route. The plan is to buy a used 550d, which will output the same picture quality as the 60d and pair it to the Sigma 30mm. The camera would live on RAW and auto mode, purely being set up for underwater photography. If anything goes wrong, I will risk a lot less than the 60d so I am a bit more confident that way.

I think I also found some of the underwater camera bags, but they were expensive as well (strangely!). I may have run into some different ones than you meant so I will keep looking.

Canon 5d, 60d, 17-40mm L, 30mm Art, 50mm, 85mm

EveryMilesAMemory
Goldmember
Joined May 2007
Cedar Key Florida
May 18, 2015 09:17 |  #6

I've been doing a bit of this as an added option for my modeling work. A lot of models are really into it, some aren't, but most jump at the chance to have their portfolios stand out

I originally got a Ikelite Housing for my 5DMKII body, but have since moved to the Aquatech Housing for how much simpler it is to use and set up. Ikelite offers much more adjustability to the camera once in the housing. You basically can still adjust every button on the camera while it's in the housing. The Aquatech is more of a surf housing, and you set the camera up before you put it in the housing, and then just shoot with those settings.

The Ikelite is a great housing, it's just geared more towards diving, and I'm doing what you asked about, just shooting at surface with available light

I'm actually going to put the entire Ikelite Package up for sale if you're looking to get one. And it'll be a LOT less than buying new. I also just sent it back to Ikelite to have them pressure test it and they ended up replacing the housing due to a slight crack in it, along with all the seals around all the buttons, so you're basically buying a brand new housing

IMAGE: http://everymilesamemory.smugmug.com/Other-1/Underwater-Photography/i-5jkjSxb/0/L/Jessie%20Zevalkink%20Stand%20Up%20Paddle%20Boarding%20in%20Key%20West%20-%20Photo%20by%20Pat%20Bonish-L.jpg
Shot with the Ikelite Housing

IMAGE: http://everymilesamemory.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Amanda_Gilbert-6.jpg
Aquatech Housing

IMAGE: http://everymilesamemory.smugmug.com/Other-1/Underwater-Photography/i-LLgb8Rn/0/L/That%20Entrance%20-%20Underwater%20Photo%20by%20Pat%20Bonish-L.jpg
Ikelite Housing

Pat Bonish
www.everymilesamemory.​comexternal link
www.patbonishphotograp​hy.comexternal link
500pxexternal link

sponsored links

3,189 views & 0 likes for this thread
Underwater portraits?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Underwater Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.