Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions
Thread started 09 Dec 2014 (Tuesday) 05:42
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Any views on a new 6D?

Hermelin
Goldmember
1,099 posts
Joined Nov 2013
Sweden
Jun 03, 2015 08:38 |  #121

mclaren777 wrote in post #17582318external link
I used it for five months. Then I purchased a 6D and threw the 60D in a drawer.

There are clearly people who want a flip-out screen for the 6D2, so I hope Canon offers both options.

Maybe they will do a 6Dr and 6Ds, one with and one without flipout screen.

Fujifilm X-T2 | Fujinon 35 f/2 WR | Fujinon 90 f/2 WR | Fujinon 18-55 f/2.8-4
https://500px.com/fili​phermelin (external link)

sponsored links
BlakeC
"Dad was a meat cutter"
Joined Jul 2014
West Michigan, USA
Jun 03, 2015 08:46 |  #122

Hermelin wrote in post #17582328external link
Maybe they will do a 6Dr and 6Ds, one with and one without flipout screen.

I don't see why a flip screen wouldn't just be standard. Even though i've never had an issue with it, I would like them to add a lock to keep it in place just in case. I've heard people say that "pro" cameras don't have flip screens and a flip screen is only on "pro-consumer" cameras and you will never see one on a full frame because it is not "professional." How much sense does THAT make? I would love to see one on a full frame!

Blake C
BlakeC-Photography.com (external link)
Follow Me on Facebook (external link) , Instagram (external link), or Google+ (external link)
80D |70D | SL1 - Σ 18-35 1.8 ART, Σ 50-100 1.8 ART, Σ 17-50 2.8, Canon 24 2.8 Pancake, Canon 50 1.8 STM, Canon 10-18 STM, Canon 18-135 STM

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2008
Melbourne, Australia
Jun 03, 2015 08:53 |  #123

BlakeC wrote in post #17582337external link
I don't see why a flip screen wouldn't just be standard. Even though i've never had an issue with it, I would like them to add a lock to keep it in place just in case. I've heard people say that "pro" cameras don't have flip screens and a flip screen is only on "pro-consumer" cameras and you will never see one on a full frame because it is not "professional." How much sense does THAT make? I would love to see one on a full frame!

Anyone who says that has a very limited view of the term 'professional', essentially limiting it to action and event photographers.

Non-action professionals and videographers have been using tilt-screens and off-camera screens for years.

BlakeC
"Dad was a meat cutter"
Joined Jul 2014
West Michigan, USA
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by BlakeC.
Jun 03, 2015 08:58 |  #124

Shadowblade wrote in post #17582346external link
Anyone who says that has a very limited view of the term 'professional', essentially limiting it to action and event photographers.

Non-action professionals and videographers have been using tilt-screens and off-camera screens for years.

That's what I was thinking. I saw it on another thread but didn't want to jump in. Sounded like he only considered what HE uses to be "professional."

Blake C
Follow Me on Facebook (external link) , Instagram (external link), or Google+ (external link)
80D |70D | SL1 - Σ 18-35 1.8 ART, Σ 50-100 1.8 ART, Σ 17-50 2.8, Canon 24 2.8 Pancake, Canon 50 1.8 STM, Canon 10-18 STM, Canon 18-135 STM

Hermelin
Goldmember
1,099 posts
Joined Nov 2013
Sweden
Jun 03, 2015 09:02 |  #125

BlakeC wrote in post #17582337external link

Well the 6D is actually in the "prosumer segment".

Fujifilm X-T2 | Fujinon 35 f/2 WR | Fujinon 90 f/2 WR | Fujinon 18-55 f/2.8-4
https://500px.com/fili​phermelin (external link)

BlakeC
"Dad was a meat cutter"
Joined Jul 2014
West Michigan, USA
Jun 03, 2015 09:19 |  #126

Hermelin wrote in post #17582359external link
Well the 6D is actually in the "prosumer segment".

Sorry, I get ahead of myself sometimes. lol. I was saying that these same people also say that its not "professional" unless its a full frame.

Blake C

benji25
Joined Jan 2010
Twin Cities
Jun 03, 2015 09:25 as a reply to post 17582318 |  #127

I wouldn't put my money on it. They either will offer it or they won't. And I am guessing the number of people that want it far outweigh the number of people that would NOT buy one SPECIFICALLY because it has it.

Websiteexternal link
flickrexternal link

nighthawk82
Joined Jul 2014
Malta
Post has been last edited over 2 years ago by nighthawk82. 2 edits done in total.
Jun 03, 2015 09:27 |  #128

I do admit that prior to the lightning fast dual pixel AF live view focusing in the 70D, a flip out screen had less appeal, and was mostly useful for landscape shots on a tripod, because contrast detect focusing was way too slow for anything but static targets.

But man, on the 70D it is a dream! I think every camera with Dual Pixel AF or any similar (or better) technology should have flip screen as standard because it's such a damn good and useful combo! This is the thing which made me say "WTF Canon?" when the 7D2 was released with a fixed screen. An action camera with incredible live view focusing, but only if you can sit right behind the camera.

This is probably why a good proportion of 60D users feel the screen is not useful. The percentage of 70D users who "don't like" the flip screen is MUCH lower!
So if the 6D2 gets any interesting technology such as dual pixel AF, I think it will be a mistake to release it with a fixed screen.

Dennis
Canon EOS 70D | Canon EOS 450D | Canon EF 135mm f/2L USM | Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro | Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM | Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM | Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM | Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM | Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM | Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II | Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II LD IF

mclaren777
Goldmember
1,472 posts
Joined May 2012
Olympia, WA
Jun 03, 2015 11:05 |  #129

I'm genuinely surprised by how many of you shoot with the LCD.

I never would have expected this.

A simple comparison of sensor technology: Nikon vs. Canonexternal link
A technical comparison of sensor technology: Exposure Latitudeexternal link

freestylee30
Joined Jun 2007
Jun 03, 2015 11:11 |  #130

I'm no pro, but add me to the list of people who would be happy to see an articulating screen on the new 6D. Don't get me wrong, I'd rather see many other things already listed in this thread more, but it would be a welcomed addition.

I used it a bit with my 70D and I don't see any downsides to having it on the 6D. It was kind of nice being able to turn the LCD in toward the camera (hiding/protecting it) while I hiked around. Touch screen focusing was also kind of nice, especially when taking video.

Brandon | zenfolio (external link)| ♥ feedback ♥
Eternal Blue Forever Green
Image Editing OK

CANON 5DIV 6D w/Grip +RRS l-bracket 50 f/1.8 85 f/1.8 135 f/2L |
ROKINON 14 f/2.8 | TAMRON 15-30 f/2.8 VC 24-70 f/2.8 VC | SIGMA 35 f/1.4 Art |

benji25
Joined Jan 2010
Twin Cities
Jun 03, 2015 11:32 |  #131

mclaren777 wrote in post #17582509external link

Do you mean live view? The only time I use live view is also the only time I need the articulation screen - when I am at a funny angle that I can't get my eye behind the view finder. For example if you are shooting up at a flower from the base of its root - even if you lay down flat your lens might not have a close enough focusing distance to fit your head behind the camera between it and the ground. Enter live view + swivel screen and I can literally lay the back of the camera flat on the ground and still see the screen (60D) and frame the shot appropriately.

Works in other scenarios as well such as shooting straight down, around a corner etc.

Websiteexternal link
flickrexternal link

wanner
Joined Jul 2013
Jun 03, 2015 14:28 |  #132

I really hope the 6D2 comes with a swivel screen.
Find myself doing more and more macro and i find manual focusing using live view super useful.
Often you are close to the ground as well so having the possibility to swivel the screen is great.

https://www.flickr.com​/photos/malwan/external link

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by Left Handed Brisket.
Jun 03, 2015 14:45 |  #133

well that's good for those of us who couldn't care less about it.

with so many people wanting it, Canon is sure to leave it off.

:-P

Despite the "pro-sumer" labeling on the 6D, there are a lot of people using it to make money. And this is of course strictly my opinion, but people don't make money laying a camera on the ground to take a neat shot of a flower. Sure there are some that do stock or spec work that might sell that image, but those that carry around a trunk of gear and set up lights while doing contract work are way less likely to need it.

The VAST majority of my live view shots are tethered to a computer and monitor. But I do see that the new DPAF is a game changer with live view when in the field.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

BlakeC
"Dad was a meat cutter"
Joined Jul 2014
West Michigan, USA
Jun 03, 2015 14:54 |  #134

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #17582768external link
well that's good for those of us who couldn't care less about it.

with so many people wanting it, Canon is sure to leave it off.

:-P

Despite the "pro-sumer" labeling on the 6D, there are a lot of people using it to make money. And this is of course strictly my opinion, but people don't make money laying a camera on the ground to take a neat shot of a flower. Sure there are some that do stock or spec work that might sell that image, but those that carry around a trunk of gear and set up lights while doing contract work are way less likely to need it.

The VAST majority of my live view shots are tethered to a computer and monitor. But I do see that the new DPAF is a game changer with live view when in the field.

Yet having a swivel screen would still allow you to work the same way.

Blake C

nighthawk82
Joined Jul 2014
Malta
Jun 03, 2015 14:59 |  #135

Yep, times have changed... shooting with the LCD is now a powerful tool at the hands of all photographers, including pros. Gone are the days when live view shooting was clumsy, "unprofessional" and practically unusable, except for lucky snapshots and selfies.

You have to see the value of the LCD as a tool, not a viewfinder replacement. When I actually can put my eye to the viewfinder without being a contortionist, I still prefer using the viewfinder. But when it's impossible, rather than give up on the shot, out comes the LCD!

Dennis
Canon EOS 70D | Canon EOS 450D | Canon EF 135mm f/2L USM | Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro | Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM | Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM | Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM | Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM | Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM | Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II | Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II LD IF

sponsored links

28,563 views & 18 likes for this thread
Any views on a new 6D?
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.