Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 19 Jun 2015 (Friday) 20:16
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

1DX Failure

picworx
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,112 posts
Joined Jun 2005
Ontario, Canada
Jun 20, 2015 19:50 |  #16

Icee, I did remove the battery and tested it on a tester and its good, so I tried it again, took a shot, nothing on either screen. Have to remove battery and reinsert to kick start it again. Back screen and quick menu show on back screen. arghhhh!

The Print is What Really Matters

sponsored links
picworx
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,112 posts
Joined Jun 2005
Ontario, Canada
Jun 20, 2015 19:51 as a reply to post 17604799 |  #17

Icee, I did remove the battery and tested it on a tester and its good, so I tried it again, took a shot, nothing on either screen. Have to remove battery and reinsert to kick start it again. Back screen and quick menu show on back screen. arghhhh!

ksbal
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2010
N.E. Kansas
Jun 20, 2015 20:15 |  #18

There is something that is triggered when the battery door shuts for the 5Ds bodies, something Rodger at Lens Rentals calls 'paper thin' and also in 5D3 models.. but I don't know if that is true for 1Dx's. I'm wondering if there is something out of alignment with the battery door?

YN622 English User Guide/Manual by Clive
https://drive.google.c​om ...Ig0gMMzZFaDVlZ1VNTE​0/view (external link)

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
11,622 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Traryd, Sweden
Jun 21, 2015 04:36 |  #19

The battery doors for cameras using LP-E6 and LP-E4N are totally different.
There's a switch in the card door too, even if that too is different on 1DX and other models.

Anders

docholliday_sc001
My hypocrisy goes only so far.
219 posts
Joined Jul 2011
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by docholliday_sc001.
Jun 21, 2015 05:00 |  #20

No switches in the 1Dx battery. However, your problem is a failed battery connector/power PCB - mine died on me. Probably will be part number CG2-3143-000. Mine wasn't under warranty either, but I wasn't footing the bill, so no idea what the cost is. About a dozen or two 1Dx owners have had the problem. Not widespread, but has been seen before on 1Dx bodies of all vintage.

Choderboy
I Chimp, therefore I am
Joined Jul 2005
Sydney, Australia
Jun 21, 2015 05:14 |  #21

Someone in Australia reported $635 parts and labour.
http://www.ausphotogra​phy.net.au ...d.php?129675-1dx-deceased (external link)

Dave
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/12185187@N00/ (external link)
1D4, 1DS2, 7D2. Canon, Sigma lenses

James ­ P
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2008
Chatham, Ontario, Canada
Jun 21, 2015 07:11 |  #22

Please keep us posted. As a 1Dx owner, I'd love to know how all this turns out.

1Dx - 5DIII - 40D - Canon 24-70LII, 100L macro, 135L, 16-35L, 70-200 f4 and 100-400L lenses

- "Very good" is the enemy of "great." Sometimes we confuse the two.

picworx
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,112 posts
Joined Jun 2005
Ontario, Canada
Jun 21, 2015 09:42 as a reply to James P's post |  #23

Yes I will keep all posted,

ICee
Joined May 2006
Newcastle upon tyne uk
Jun 21, 2015 12:25 |  #24

picworx wrote in post #17604807 (external link)

I was worth a try, my mkiv did what your Dx has and a new button cell fixed it.
Sorry it didn't work.

bigcountry
Goldmember
4,476 posts
Joined Oct 2006
Louisville, KY
Jun 21, 2015 20:16 |  #25

probably pcb board.

$200-$400 to fix.

Louisville Kentucky Wedding Photographerexternal link
Travel the World and Photographexternal link
Find me on Facebookexternal link

picworx
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,112 posts
Joined Jun 2005
Ontario, Canada
Jun 23, 2015 14:09 as a reply to bigcountry's post |  #26

I drove it into Canon Repair in Mississauga in Ontario yesterday. Told them what happened the day before the wedding Jun 20. I told them it was purchased Mar 11, 2013 and has <12000 cycles on it shown in the system screen. I also said I recognize it was out of warranty.

I said that the calibre of this camera and that its a flagship camera should not fail like this. Counter staff said the appearance of the camera was perfect and treated like a queen but could not guarantee a no charge repair. I also opted for a paid cleaning too.

In Canada they have a flat rate charge on this unit regardless of what parts it needs which is $299.00 CDN so that eased my mind a bit and free shipping back because I drove it in.

That's all I know for now I will post back when I hear.

smythie
I wasn't even trying
Joined Jun 2009
Sydney - Australia
Jun 23, 2015 14:50 |  #27

Good luck!

Gear List

docholliday_sc001
219 posts
Joined Jul 2011
Jun 23, 2015 23:40 |  #28

picworx wrote in post #17607924 (external link)
I drove it into Canon Repair in Mississauga in Ontario yesterday. Told them what happened the day before the wedding Jun 20. I told them it was purchased Mar 11, 2013 and has <12000 cycles on it shown in the system screen. I also said I recognize it was out of warranty.

I said that the calibre of this camera and that its a flagship camera should not fail like this. Counter staff said the appearance of the camera was perfect and treated like a queen but could not guarantee a no charge repair. I also opted for a paid cleaning too.

In Canada they have a flat rate charge on this unit regardless of what parts it needs which is $299.00 CDN so that eased my mind a bit and free shipping back because I drove it in.

That's all I know for now I will post back when I hear.

I told CPS the same thing when mine went in. They pretty much ignored my comment that a flagship with less than 1/5 of the "rated" shutter life failing and that the power issue along with it should be considered defective components. Never could get any of the reps I spoke with to even comment on the question. They just kept dancing around the subject.

Now, after the PCB replacement, mine has started to exhibit a new problem - self battery drain.

Brand new LP-E4n, < 10 total charge cycles, manufacturing date of 201503. Fully charged, sitting in the camera with no lens, camera asleep, drops about 8% per day without ever being touched. Same battery in my Ds3 can sit for a week and only go down 1%. 1D3 same as the 1Ds3. Four different (new) LP-E4n batteries with four different date stamps from four different retailers, same effect. Hmmm.

Then, there's the random battery level guage. Check the battery, it'll say something like 97% with 4 shots. Let it go to sleep. Wait about 15 minutes, it'll say 99% with 4 shots. Let it sleep again and check again after an hour, 92% with 4 shots. Repeat.

Sounds like there's still a problem with the power PCBs.

picworx
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,112 posts
Joined Jun 2005
Ontario, Canada
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by picworx.
Jun 24, 2015 18:54 as a reply to docholliday_sc001's post |  #29

Are you in the US? I would be insisting that I speak to someone in the know, start going up the chain and become a CPS member which I am considering.

docholliday_sc001
219 posts
Joined Jul 2011
Jun 25, 2015 00:56 as a reply to picworx's post |  #30

I take it you mean "unbecoming a CPS member"? I already am a member...it doesn't help a thing when they don't admit an issue!

sponsored links

12,649 views & 1 like for this thread
1DX Failure
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.