Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup
Thread started 29 Apr 2015 (Wednesday) 11:40
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Converting a monster archive...

Rob612
Goldmember
2,459 posts
Joined Apr 2005
Rome, Italy
Apr 29, 2015 11:40 |  #1

Alright, here is the scenario:

I have a photo archive in TIFF format (almost all 3600 dpi) that counts about 15K images organized in several hundreds of folders and subfolders.

Now, the point is, I need to convert this monster (it's about 2 TB) in an identical archive (same tree structure) but with all the images converted in JPG@100 dpi (or whatever, anyway much less than 3600).

Lightroom 6CC doesn't do the trick, the export function does not recreate the folder tree. Bridge crashes while importing...

Anybody knows about a tool that can handle such a situation ? I am sure that I am not the first one in the world to have such a problem, I have tried several freeware tools, but they all failed in a way or another, either they fail the import, or they do not recreate the tree o somehting else...

Any suggestion ??

Thanks

www.raphotography.euexternal link

Don't let your mouth write a check your butt can't cash.
Anonymous

sponsored links
Jethr0
Joined Aug 2012
ON, Canada
Apr 29, 2015 19:26 |  #2

Microsoft or Apple?

www.jefflowe.ca (external link)
Instagram: https://www.instagram.​com/jefflowe.ca (external link)

tim
Light Bringer
50,867 posts
Joined Nov 2004
Wellington, New Zealand
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by tim.
Apr 29, 2015 19:35 |  #3

Photoshop image processor script - it's built in, file -> scripts from memory. Alternately you could probably write an action.

Do you have PS? If not Irfanview might do it.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

gjl711
They have pills for that now you know.
53,343 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Deep in the heart of Texas
Apr 29, 2015 19:45 |  #4

Don't do the whole thing, break it into pieces.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Rob612
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,459 posts
Joined Apr 2005
Rome, Italy
Apr 30, 2015 02:28 |  #5

Thanks ya'll...

I am working on a windows machine, and if possible I'd rather do the whole thing in one single pass, no matter how long it takes.

Ill'give a try to Irfanview, any other options you folks are aware of ??

Anonymous

tim
Light Bringer
50,867 posts
Joined Nov 2004
Wellington, New Zealand
Apr 30, 2015 03:25 |  #6

Irfanview : File -> Batch Convert. That'll do it for sure.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

ekim92
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Apr 2015
May 04, 2015 19:47 |  #7
banned

The reason it's not recommended to do it all at once, is if something fails, it can end up invalidating the whole process.

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007
Sussex, UK
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by hollis_f.
May 05, 2015 04:19 |  #8

FastStone's 'Batch Image Convert/Rename' will do this. I'm not sure if it will be happy with 15,000 images - but it's free so you can try it yourself (actually, as you're using it for commercial purposes it'll cost you $35).

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Websiteexternal link

Rob612
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,459 posts
Joined Apr 2005
Rome, Italy
May 06, 2015 10:20 |  #9

I know that if something fails is screwa up averything, but... for me, it's easier to let the computer do its job for a couple of days alone (and eventually repaet the process) than waste a day or so doing it in sections :) Ill'give a try a FastStone's...

Anonymous

Reiep
Joined Oct 2009
Orléans, France / Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Jun 22, 2015 04:00 |  #10

Rob612 wrote in post #17537256 (external link)
Lightroom 6CC doesn't do the trick, the export function does not recreate the folder tree.

The Lightroom Tree Mirror Export plugin is free and does the trick. I exported a few tens of thousands of JPEG this way.

Website (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | Gear

RileyNZL
Joined Apr 2013
New Zealand - Dunedin
Jul 06, 2015 05:25 |  #11

Changing the DPI won't make a difference unless your also setting a physical size, you would be better just dropping them to a set resolution of your choice, of even just leaving the resolution alone as ust going from tiff to jpeg will reduce the file size a lot (assuming that is what you are trying to do)

Canon 1Dx |Canon 6D|Canon 24-70 F2.8 L MkII|Canon 16-35 F4 L|Sigma 70-200 F2.8 EX OS|Canon 400mm f5.6 L|Sigma 50mm F1.4|Canon 600EX's|Gitzo Explorer Tripod|

sponsored links

2,392 views & 0 likes for this thread
Converting a monster archive...
FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.