Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 17 Jun 2015 (Wednesday) 21:55
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Photo Stealers could use some help from the Professional Photography Community

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
Joined Oct 2007
Gig Harbor, Washington
Jun 17, 2015 21:55 |  #1

Please Read

If you dont know about photo stealers than you should. Cory who founded the blog and Facebook page started fronting off and bringing things out in the open about the amount of photo stealing that is going on in the industry and social media. She has also confronted big name industry instructors who have been caught lying and committing plagiarism. Theft of images in this industry and rapid. She has managed to get several crooks off the net for good. They only hurt our industry.

So it seems that the crooks once they are caught are hiring attorneys and trying to run her off the net and out of business with defamation lawsuits. She has been sued several times and she is now looking for assistance from the professional photography community so she can continue the battle.

I have attached a go fund me link if you would like to help her cause. Helping her helps everyone. People that are involved with PPA and WPPI should get off your butts and demand that your professional organizations lend this courageous young lady some financial help.

here is the link

http://www.gofundme.co​m/wun33kg (external link)

Mike
www.umphotography.comexternal link
GEAR LIST
Facebookexternal link

sponsored links
jmikolich
388 posts
Joined Feb 2013
Ohio
Jun 18, 2015 12:01 |  #2

This needs to be bumped.

I was coming here to post it, and see that Mike has already posted it.

Corey is local to me and a great person who is doing a lot to try and help combat image thievery which is running way more rampant that I ever thought.

The local NE Ohio community is well behind her, as well as some rather large names in the photography community (whether or not you agree with their products, they've put their money up to help) Jerry Ghionis, Gary Fong etc.

Let's help her out!!!!

I'm in for $50

-Jim
Canon 5D3,5D3,5D2,6D,24 f2.8 IS,35L,45 TS-E,50L,85 f1.8,70-200 f2.8L II,100L
Rokinon 14mm f2.8

jmikolich
388 posts
Joined Feb 2013
Ohio
Jun 19, 2015 13:51 as a reply to jmikolich's post |  #3

Whoever moved this... that is stupid. Hiding it in the marketplace is not where this belongs, it belongs in the most viewed, most publicly available section of the forum.

There is no service being offered by the post, she's not raising funds for lawyers for other people. It also should serve as a discussion for those caught stealing images.

-Jim
Rokinon 14mm f2.8

bigcountry
Goldmember
4,476 posts
Joined Oct 2006
Louisville, KY
Jun 23, 2015 22:00 |  #4

Shouldn't it belong in the news? Maybe reword the post and include more info about it...?

Louisville Kentucky Wedding Photographerexternal link
Travel the World and Photographexternal link
Find me on Facebookexternal link

eth3rton
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2008
KY, USA
Jun 24, 2015 16:32 |  #5

Just saw this... going to donate. Thanks OP!

Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
8,985 posts
Joined Apr 2006
North Carolina
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by Picture North Carolina.
Jun 25, 2015 06:31 |  #6

Her goal is a good one, but the methodology used to achieve it needs improvement. If done differently, there would be less or no lawsuits because there would be no cause.

"Reporting" without "editorializing" would be the way to achieve that.

Example: You buy a new car. It's a lemon. You decide to picket the dealership, walking the sidewalk with a sign.

If your sign says "These people are crooks. Don't buy a car here." You give them cause to sue. Good cause.

If your sign says "I have many problems with the car I purchased from this dealership" you are reporting fact without editorializing - without defaming - and have removed the cause for suit.

I have seen the site editorialize - defame - thus giving good cause to sue.

Website (external link) |

sagray
Joined May 2008
Jun 25, 2015 09:44 as a reply to Picture North Carolina's post |  #7

Additionally, the community tends to dog pile onto the targeted stealers. And as happens so often with vigilante mobs, more than a few people go over the line. I'm not really sure if it's the site owner's fault, though.

40D, 5D (Classic)
Sigma 17-35 EX, Canon Nifty Fifty, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L (non-IS), Canon 24-105 f/4L, Canon 135mm f/2L
2 AB400s, 1 Einstein, 2 Canon 580EXIIs, Canon 430EX, Vivitar 285HV, old Quantaray POS
flickrexternal link | Gray Imageryexternal link

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,711 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Jun 25, 2015 11:45 |  #8

The "pig pile" effect is the internet/social media thing, it's part of our times now.

Good point though P.N.C.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

jmikolich
388 posts
Joined Feb 2013
Ohio
Jun 25, 2015 11:51 |  #9

sagray wrote in post #17610180 (external link)
Additionally, the community tends to dog pile onto the targeted stealers. And as happens so often with vigilante mobs, more than a few people go over the line. I'm not really sure if it's the site owner's fault, though.

I will say this, the site owner has had a couple, very small instances where she has been catty back to her "assailants" but otherwise she has maintained a very professional attitude towards them.

She also always emails the offending, suspected party prior to posting anything in an attempt to get resolution without "defamation" publicly. More often than not the person on the receiving end of the email is quite hastily on the defensive and can even turn mean and nasty straight away. This is what leads to the public outing of said person, and yes where the hive mentality can take over, leading to the nastiness that we see.

-Jim
Rokinon 14mm f2.8

dmitrim
Joined Jun 2006
Toronto,ON
Jul 02, 2015 16:53 |  #10

If what was said in the website is he truth, then there's no basis for the law suit and no judge will award anything and lawyers are not necessary. Sometimes common sense wins.
Of course thieves want their reputation to be returned to them and they will pay money for lawyers to write angry letters and 99.99% this is where it ends. They know(lawyers and thieves) that they can't win.

I'd say, there's nothing to worry about, unless something that shouldn't be posted was there.

Facebook (external link)
www.dmitrimarkine.com (external link)

dmitrim
Joined Jun 2006
Toronto,ON
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by dmitrim.
Jul 02, 2015 16:57 |  #11

Picture North Carolina wrote in post #17609999 (external link)
Her goal is a good one, but the methodology used to achieve it needs improvement. If done differently, there would be less or no lawsuits because there would be no cause.

"Reporting" without "editorializing" would be the way to achieve that.

Example: You buy a new car. It's a lemon. You decide to picket the dealership, walking the sidewalk with a sign.

If your sign says "These people are crooks. Don't buy a car here." You give them cause to sue. Good cause.

If your sign says "I have many problems with the car I purchased from this dealership" you are reporting fact without editorializing - without defaming - and have removed the cause for suit.

I have seen the site editorialize - defame - thus giving good cause to sue.

If someone steals a photos, it is done to deceive their potential clients. That makes that person a THIEF and a SCAMMER. You can sue for anything these days,but that doesn't mean the case has any chance. Stealing for self gain is just theft. Stealing in order to deceive potential clients, your self worth and put text or pictures as your own to profit is scam. This is why I openly name those people as scammers.

Facebook (external link)

dmitrim
Joined Jun 2006
Toronto,ON
Jul 02, 2015 17:05 |  #12

umphotography wrote in post #17601328 (external link)
I have attached a go fund me link if you would like to help her cause. Helping her helps everyone. People that are involved with PPA and WPPI should get off your butts and demand that your professional organizations lend this courageous young lady some financial help.

A lot of "star" photographers @ wppi should be and are on that site. In fact, WPPI is dishonest organization as well. I had issues with them for lying to me and they just ignored all my emails. It used to be an organization from photographers for photographers,but that died down many years ago and they are only after money. They absolutely do not care about photographers or the BS statements they make.
I knew someone who proved that their judging was fake and high scores were given to those who where "in". I myself observed fake judging at one time when they found out the name of a "famous" photographer and instead of a very low score, they re-scored and gave that person a very high score. Apparently they were doing it for all the speakers.
Scammers? Not sure. Thieves? No. Dishonest? You bet they are!

Facebook (external link)

Luckless
Goldmember
3,043 posts
Joined Mar 2012
PEI, Canada
Jul 02, 2015 18:51 |  #13

dmitrim wrote in post #17618418 (external link)
If someone steals a photos, it is done to deceive their potential clients. That makes that person a THIEF and a SCAMMER. You can sue for anything these days,but that doesn't mean the case has any chance. Stealing for self gain is just theft. Stealing in order to deceive potential clients, your self worth and put text or pictures as your own to profit is scam. This is why I openly name those people as scammers.

That is the kind of attitude that can rather quickly get you in trouble. Just because you think someone did something or deserves to be labeled in some way doesn't magically make it true. Slander and Libel cases aren't always as super cut and dry as some might like to believe.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Lucklessexternal link

dmitrim
Joined Jun 2006
Toronto,ON
Jul 03, 2015 23:49 |  #14

Luckless wrote in post #17618504 (external link)
That is the kind of attitude that can rather quickly get you in trouble. Just because you think someone did something or deserves to be labeled in some way doesn't magically make it true. Slander and Libel cases aren't always as super cut and dry as some might like to believe.

You are not a lawyer to say that, and I don't think you know the law at all. You can get access to such cases and see who wins these.
I've seen a number to understand that if what you say is true, you are 100% safe
If you don't understand this, I suppose you also never leave reviews on sites such as TripAdvisor. Many big companies went out of business because of such sites and they couldn't do a thing.

Facebook (external link)

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Repps cum Bastwick, Gt Yarmouth, Norfolk, UK.
Jul 04, 2015 07:39 as a reply to dmitrim's post |  #15

Actually in some jurstictions, England for example, it may be possible to bring a succesful claim for Libel even if the statements are true. This is possible when the only reason to make the statement is to defame. In the case of Photo Stealers though, the fact is that there are other sound reasons to publish the facts, notably consumer protection. Of course it helps PS that it is both based and published in the USA, where the First Amendment provides constitutional protection to free speech, and is rigerously enforced. Sometimes the posts on PS can get a little out of hand, but this usually happens when people try to defend IP theft.

The situation that PS reports on is a difficult one. Unfortunatly the only person who might have any legal recourse is the IP rights holder, however it is actually the local competetion, i.e. the other local photographers running legitimate businesses who actually suffer financially from this IP theft. Oh and of course the duped customer. IP law is also odd in the fact that IP law is criminal, not civil but is treated as such when it comes to action. Add to that the difficulty of bringing an action for IP theft, it is no wonder that so many people do this, as the chances of anyone taking succesful action against them is pretty small.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

sponsored links

3,800 views & 5 likes for this thread
Photo Stealers could use some help from the Professional Photography Community
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.