Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Gear Reviews Bag Reviews
Thread started 06 Dec 2014 (Saturday) 21:24
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Domke F-4AF Pro System Bag, reviewed by Bob_A

TOGGLE RATINGS BETWEEN ALL AND Bob_A (showing now: Bob_A)
Overall Rating6
Value for Money6
Must Have5
Got What I Expected5
Build Quality6
Carrying Comfort5
Fast Shooting10
Durability9
Compartment Logic9
Versatility5
Security4
Weather Protection3.5
Ownership Status: "own"

Click here for detailed specs and sample photos.
Click ratings to see total averages and rating distributions.
List all reviews of Domke F-4AF Pro System Bag

Bob_A
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2005
Alberta, Canada
Dec 06, 2014 21:24 |  #1

I use this bag a lot, and it's a love-hate relationship.

Pros:

• Very quick access to camera and lenses
  • Rugged construction
  • I like the understated way it looks
  • Strap with the "post office sholder pad" stays put on your shoulder reasonably well

Cons:
  • The metal snap hook closure is stupid IMO. I need to be careful putting my bag on my hardwood floors because the thing will scratch them
  • I don't like the side pockets with the small amount of velcro to hold the covers down. Stuff easily falls out if the bag tips over. I'd prefer zippers on the side covers
  • The zippered section in the main flap is clumsy to use. The zipper is in the wrong place and should be along the far end of the flap so the compartment is useful WHEN YOU HAVE THE BAG ON YOUR SHOULDER!
  • I believe it's been fixed for the latest version of the bag, but for mine the divider in the two compartment insert isn't adjustable
  • The bag is just a touch short for being able to fit my 70-200 f/2.8VR
  • The "post office shoulder pad" disintegrates and leaves rubber dust all over your clothes making it look like you have a horrible case of dandruff
  • You need the post office shoulder pad if you carry heavy equipment, but because the pad is angled the strap isn't set up nicely when you want to change shoulders.
  • It's not machine washable. See the warning on the Domke site: http://www.tiffen.com ...emnum=700-40A#prettyPhotoexternal link

So, I like the bag ... and I hate the bag :-P If I was starting over and knew what I know now I probably wouldn't be picking this one again. The only thing I do know is that it's at least much easier to use and much more comfortable than my Lowepro Slingshot 200AW (which was the biggest waste of money of all my camera gear ... horrible bag).

Bob
SmugMug (external link) | My Gear Ratings | My POTN Gallery

2mnycars
Goldmember
2,984 posts
Joined Apr 2009
Canada
Jun 30, 2015 07:32 |  #2

good review.

I have 4 Domke Postal Pads and have had no trouble.
I don't like the hooks either.

I find I get more photos using Domke bags. Other bags aren't as efficient. it takes me longer to access my gear

F3x. f2

they are hard to find in Canada, and cost too much at some stores

Dave L
I'm a bagaholic

3,518 views & 1 like for this thread
Domke F-4AF Pro System Bag, reviewed by Bob_A
FORUMS Gear Reviews Bag Reviews

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.