Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk
Thread started 25 Jun 2015 (Thursday) 11:55
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Wedding Photography Workshops or Resources

kma16
76 posts
Joined Feb 2015
Jun 25, 2015 11:55 |  #1

I'm looking at investing some time and money into workshops or books to read. I'm looking to improve skills overall (mainly finding the best light and using light creatively for weddings) Has there been any workshops you've taken and would reccommend that gave you that "ah-ha" moment? Also gave you a chance for hands on experience.

I'm looking for anything in and around ontario canada but would also make a trip out of something in the US if there's something inspiring and worth while. :)

Thank you!

sponsored links
FerozeK
239 posts
Joined Apr 2012
JHB, South Africa
Jun 25, 2015 12:18 |  #2

Did a few workshops, but here in south africa. Best way to learn is try and get a job as second shooter, you'll learn quicker and learn more essential things that way

Canon EOS 5D | Pentax K10 | Canon EF 24-70mm f/4L IS USM, EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM, EF 16-35 f/4 L IS USM | Canon Speedlite 600EX-RT

texaskev
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2008
Austin & Dallas Texas
Jun 27, 2015 03:20 |  #3

Good advice above. But workshops are great because you not only learn but you end up with portfolio shots. That can help you book shoots down the road. As far as finding them goes I'm not sure in your country. Maybe check with your local camera shop.

Canon 1DX II, 1DX, 11-24 F4 L, 100 F2.8 L, 16-35 F2.8 L II, 17-40 F4 L, 24-70 F2.8 L II, 24-105 F4 L II, 70-200 F2.8 L II

mclaren777
Goldmember
1,476 posts
Joined May 2012
Olympia, WA
Jun 28, 2015 14:21 |  #4

In my experience, it's probably better to invest in creativeLIVE workshops than real-life workshops.

A simple comparison of sensor technology: Nikon vs. Canonexternal link
A technical comparison of sensor technology: Exposure Latitudeexternal link

picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
8,552 posts
Joined Jan 2006
Alberta, CANADA
Jun 28, 2015 14:57 |  #5

I have found the overwhelming majority of "pro" photography workshops (especially for weddings) to be money grabs that are hollow on REAL content. I've stopped going to workshops and conferences like WPPI and such because I just don't get anything out of them. The audience is too generic, so they have to cater to the beginner.

Best thing to do is to approach a specific local photographer you want to learn from (there are geniuses in just about every decent market), pay him/her a fee to hang out with them for a day going over whatever YOU SPECIFICALLY need, whether it is camera work, lighting, business, whatever. SO MUCH MORE VALUE than paying thousands of dollars to fly to Vegas, pay admission to WPPI, pay hotels/meals/etc, and spend about a week of time for it.

If you got a week, pay for a one-day intensive personalized tutorial, and spend the rest of the week putting what you learned into action. Most people come out of workshops pumped up, but don't put the time in to apply it to their business, because giving up a week to go to a conference is already a lot of time out of your schedule.

People who approach me to do this are my favourite! I feel like I'm TRULY helping them; giving them information that is 100% relevant to their business.

-Lloyd
The BOUDOIR - Edmonton Intimate Boudoir Photographyexternal link
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Studio Family Baby Child Maternity Wedding Photographersexternal link
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Headshot Photographersexternal link
Facebookexternal link | Twitterexternal link |Instagramexternal link | Gear

rebelsimon
Goldmember
1,136 posts
Joined Nov 2013
Whitby, ON
Jun 28, 2015 19:10 |  #6

Workshops are tricky as they tend to cater to the lowest common denominator; all the participants will be in different stages technically. Look for people in your area that are doing things that impress you, and then reach out! Most are willing to spend an afternoon with you for about the price of a portrait session. Plus you never know who could use an extra pair of hands to carry gear and hold lights.

OP, where in Ontario are you? I'm in Bowmanville (just east of Toronto), everyone around here networks really well and there's a few that offer "mentor" programs.

Toronto area photographer http://www.SimonMellic​kPhotography.com (external link)
Cameras:5Diii (x2), 70D
Lenses:Rokinon 14mm f2.8, Voightlander 20mm f3.5, Canon 24-70 f2.8ii, Tamron 35mm f1.8 VC, Canon 50mm STM, Tamron 90mm 2.8 VC, Canon 135mm f2
Lights: AD600, AD200 (x2), V850 (x4)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
28,921 posts
Joined Dec 2006
Jun 28, 2015 19:43 |  #7

Just look for video training via youtube on lighting. Because wedding light is lighting, just at a wedding.

Amadauss
Joined Nov 2010
Lehigh Valley Pa
Jun 28, 2015 23:03 |  #8

gonzogolf wrote in post #17613810 (external link)
Just look for video training via youtube on lighting. Because wedding light is lighting, just at a wedding.

Cannot agree with this more. You can learn more on youtube these days then anywhere.

1-1Dx II 1-5D Mark 4, 3-5D Mark III, 5D Mark II, 2-7D's, 70D, canon 70-200 2.8 L IS II, 24-70L II, 85 1.8, 85 1.2, 50mm, 135 mm F2 L, 17-40 , 24-105, Sigma 35 Art and 18-35 1.8, 600 EX's, Elinchrom RX and Phottix 500 strobes

smorter
Goldmember
4,506 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Melbourne, Australia
Jul 02, 2015 10:08 |  #9

Nothing beats good ol' fashioned practice

I run wedding photography workshops, but I always tell the participants that you could watch me photograph 1,000,000 times yet still not be able to photograph a wedding to save yourself

It's like if you're a nurse in the operating theatre - the surgeon could explain to you what they are doing and you could watch them 1,000,000 times but until you have the scapel in your hand and are faced with having to get it right or fail (e.g. kill the patient), you cannot take that next step up.

Wedding Photography Melbourneexternal link
Reviews: 85LII

bigcountry
Goldmember
4,476 posts
Joined Oct 2006
Louisville, KY
Jul 02, 2015 19:27 |  #10

i've heard this is pretty good:

http://www.mysticsemin​ars.com/ (external link)

Louisville Kentucky Wedding Photographerexternal link
Travel the World and Photographexternal link
Find me on Facebookexternal link

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
Joined Oct 2007
Gig Harbor, Washington
Jul 04, 2015 09:06 |  #11

bigcountry wrote in post #17618523 (external link)

BC

Mystic is great. I went last year. But its like every other seminar you have been to. Caters to the newb. That being said, I did meet a couple of photographers who really impressed me and they gave me lots of free advice. I would like to do a small workshop if they ever get around to doing one. Im talking 10 tops in the group. Michael Greenberg out of Montreal is fricken awesome and does very creative stuff with speedlights with underexposing and relighting back in ETTL modes. Very impressed with what he does and im working on mastering it now. Great stuff.

And Chartleton Churchill out of California. He love to Hike and does serious MTN climbing. Great photographer and does some great work. He inspired me to go out and take pictures that I want to take. I am doing day after sessions as a result of conversations with him at Mystic and through private emails. So you can meet some great guys at Mystic. They are part f the fearless crowd and have a totally different mentality than PPA and WPPI.

PPA is the worst and nothing but a new photographer attractor to get them brainwashed with PPA. WPPI has a lot of great people and the print comp is 2nd to none. You better know what your doing to enter ito that thing. But Mystic..They just dont give a rats behind about all the politics..... Just go out and shoot and do what your supposed to be doing. We shot this 2 weeks after mystic and had to hike up and down a MTN to get the shot. Totally worth it to me. Everybody does what everyone else is doing. So You have to look for ways to stand out. I think Lloyd is on the right track with his advice.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Mike
www.umphotography.comexternal link
GEAR LIST
Facebookexternal link

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,208 posts
Joined Feb 2012
Sandy, Oregon
Jul 06, 2015 15:30 |  #12

bigcountry wrote in post #17618523 (external link)

That looks like a lot of fun. And its in my home town .... guess its time to come up with a grand and a weeks vacation time.

jcolman
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2008
North Carolina
Jul 06, 2015 15:55 |  #13

Love the water fall shot Mike!

www.jimcolmanphotograp​hy.comexternal link

sponsored links

4,334 views & 8 likes for this thread
Wedding Photography Workshops or Resources
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.