Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk
Thread started 02 Jul 2015 (Thursday) 08:49
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Guests posting photos before yours...does it bother you?

panicatnabisco
Joined Apr 2012
san francisco, CA
Jul 07, 2015 13:22 |  #16

Not at all, I actually got some business out of it since my photos looked better (obviously).

Canon 1DX | 6D | 16-35/2.8II | 24/1.4II | 24-70/2.8II | 24-105 | 50/1.8 | 50/1.2 | 70-200/2.8 IS II | 85/1.2II | 100/2.8 IS macro | 400/2.8 IS | 2xIII
Leica M8.2 | Noctilux 50 f/1 | Elmarit 90/2.8 Cinema BMD Ursa Mini 4k
afimages.net (external link) | Facebook (external link) | flickr (external link)

sponsored links
BlakeC
THREAD ­ STARTER
"Dad was a meat cutter"
Joined Jul 2014
West Michigan, USA
Jul 07, 2015 13:31 |  #17

One thing that did start to annoy me...competing with people taking selfies. They will literally take out their phones and take selfies WHILE I am trying to pose them for group shots. So...i started having fun with it instead and taking photos of them taking selfies! They end up being fun pictures and they seem to like them. The brides from this wedding both chose this one for their fb cover photos so I guess thats a good sign!

I got quite a few from the reception too.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Blake C
BlakeC-Photography.com (external link)
Follow Me on Facebook (external link) , Instagram (external link), or Google+ (external link)
80D |70D | SL1 - Σ 18-35 1.8 ART, Σ 50-100 1.8 ART, Σ 17-50 2.8, Canon 24 2.8 Pancake, Canon 50 1.8 STM, Canon 10-18 STM

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,164 posts
Joined Feb 2012
Sandy, Oregon
Jul 07, 2015 16:41 |  #18

I have also started taking photos of them taking photos of themselves and the couple always seams to like them. I guess I have a laid back attitude, we tell our brides we are there to capture what happens. 80% of our bookings are not all that interested in even doing posed photos.

Buckeye1
Goldmember
Joined May 2005
Jul 07, 2015 17:29 as a reply to Littlejon Dsgn's post |  #19

I do that as well. Those are the kind of "candids" they like...seeing themselves goofing around.

BlakeC
THREAD ­ STARTER
"Dad was a meat cutter"
Joined Jul 2014
West Michigan, USA
Jul 07, 2015 18:49 |  #20

Littlejon Dsgn wrote in post #17623971 (external link)
80% of our bookings are not all that interested in even doing posed photos.

i agree! most of em just want ceremony and candids later. they are always wanting to rush through posed shots and get to partying.

Blake C
Follow Me on Facebook (external link) , Instagram (external link), or Google+ (external link)
80D |70D | SL1 - Σ 18-35 1.8 ART, Σ 50-100 1.8 ART, Σ 17-50 2.8, Canon 24 2.8 Pancake, Canon 50 1.8 STM, Canon 10-18 STM

agrandexpression
446 posts
Joined Apr 2015
Jul 07, 2015 18:53 |  #21

I'd agree. I never try to stop a selfie...no matter how inappropriate it is. Many times your shot of their selfie turns out better than the selfie since you're getting more of the entire context.

cliousa
43 posts
Joined Nov 2012
Jul 09, 2015 14:58 |  #22

It should be fine. Plus you cannot do much about it.

It will only make you shine like a bright star, when the bride and groom first see the photos from their guests and then compare with yours (you will make 10x better photos, right?). It gives chills by remembering they considered not to hire you and makes them buy lots of your prints after the wedding.

Cheers!

--
Trifon Anguelov
Wedding and Portrait Photographer in Mountain View, CA
http://www.weddingphot​ographyblogger.com (external link)

DThriller
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2011
Rhode Island
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by DThriller.
Jul 13, 2015 14:45 |  #23

I was shooting a wedding last weekend and at any given moment there were 20-30 people with their camera phones. It was a major annoyance but there's not really anything you can do.

There was a video team there as well. One of the team said that before the intros they set up and a guest told them to move. He said he couldn't and she apparently got mad and said "well how am I supposed to get my shot!?!"

http://www.facebook.co​m/DPhillipsStudios (external link)
http://DPhillipsStudio​s.com (external link)

Big ­ Frost
Joined Oct 2007
Elgin, Illinois
Aug 19, 2015 08:35 |  #24

I just shot a wedding last weekend where I had my first encounter with a "Guest with a camera." At first, I had absolutely no issue with her, what so ever, because she approached me, and asked if I mind if she shot after me and assured me she'd stay out of my way. I was very impressed with that, and saw no issue.

Until I started setting up for B & G and wedding party formals, pre-ceremony. After the formals, there was a "Cocktail Hour" to allow for the arrival of all guests before starting the ceremony. I over heard the "Guest with a Camera" mentioning that after we shot the formals, she was going to run to Walgreen's and have prints made, and pick them up between the ceremony, and reception.

My initial reaction, was. "Oh great, she's going to shoot over my shoulder and then present the photos to the B & G in an hour and ruin that anticipation that the Bride would have had to see what I capture." Then reality set in. We shot in shady or very back lit locations and I used a couple of strobes to light the shots, so even though she shot over my shoulder and captured pretty much each of the same poses as mine, there will be a great separation in the results we deliver. I don't know the camera she was using, I think it's considered a P&S, but it was large, but did not have interchangeable lenses.

After the first dances, she presented the pictures she had taken to the B & G privately, off the dance floor. They loved them, and the gesture. The bride later mentioned to me that she loved the poses she saw in the guests pictures and couldn't wait for my finished products.

I guess the point of my long winded rant, is that not only did this guest post her photos before mine, she had them printed! LOL. That being said, we deliver a quality of image that most "Guests with a camera" simply can't, and in most cases, don't even try to obtain. That's why we get hired. Anyone with a camera can click the shutter button, but our jobs as photographers is so much more than that.

Photos By Frost (external link)
Facebook (external link)

BlakeC
THREAD ­ STARTER
"Dad was a meat cutter"
Joined Jul 2014
West Michigan, USA
Aug 19, 2015 09:09 |  #25

Big Frost wrote in post #17674868 (external link)
I just shot a wedding last weekend where I had my first encounter with a "Guest with a camera." At first, I had absolutely no issue with her, what so ever, because she approached me, and asked if I mind if she shot after me and assured me she'd stay out of my way. I was very impressed with that, and saw no issue.

Until I started setting up for B & G and wedding party formals, pre-ceremony. After the formals, there was a "Cocktail Hour" to allow for the arrival of all guests before starting the ceremony. I over heard the "Guest with a Camera" mentioning that after we shot the formals, she was going to run to Walgreen's and have prints made, and pick them up between the ceremony, and reception.

My initial reaction, was. "Oh great, she's going to shoot over my shoulder and then present the photos to the B & G in an hour and ruin that anticipation that the Bride would have had to see what I capture." Then reality set in. We shot in shady or very back lit locations and I used a couple of strobes to light the shots, so even though she shot over my shoulder and captured pretty much each of the same poses as mine, there will be a great separation in the results we deliver. I don't know the camera she was using, I think it's considered a P&S, but it was large, but did not have interchangeable lenses.

After the first dances, she presented the pictures she had taken to the B & G privately, off the dance floor. They loved them, and the gesture. The bride later mentioned to me that she loved the poses she saw in the guests pictures and couldn't wait for my finished products.

I guess the point of my long winded rant, is that not only did this guest post her photos before mine, she had them printed! LOL. That being said, we deliver a quality of image that most "Guests with a camera" simply can't, and in most cases, don't even try to obtain. That's why we get hired. Anyone with a camera can click the shutter button, but our jobs as photographers is so much more than that.

I don't sell prints, but that would still bother me. Not because I would be worried that they are stealing business from me, but because of how rude and disrespectful that is. I, myself, would not do that as a guest, ever. Even before I started shooting, I refused to bring a camera to weddings because I knew they paid someone to be there and I always saw it as rude to try taking my own photos. Plus, I would rather be part of the moment than taking photos of it when someone else is already doing that. If there is not a photographer around, I am always the first to grab my camera though. Getting prints and giving them to the B&G right there just adds another level of disrespect.

Blake C

DThriller
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2011
Rhode Island
Aug 19, 2015 09:16 |  #26

It blows my mind why a guest would care to do that?! Get prints and give them to the b and g at the wedding? These people realize they could be drinking and eating and socializing and ... I donno... Having a good time!

People are so weird...

I think the worst type of annoying person is the ones who want to ape off your shots bc they want to get into the business and see this as portfolio building. Twice I've been hired over the bride sister who I was warned about. Both times the brides told me "yeah me sister offered to shoot the wedding bc she wants to gain experience as a wedding photographer and ... Umm we said we were going to hire someone else..."

http://www.facebook.co​m/DPhillipsStudios (external link)
http://DPhillipsStudio​s.com (external link)

Big ­ Frost
Joined Oct 2007
Elgin, Illinois
Aug 19, 2015 09:23 |  #27

BlakeC wrote in post #17674909 (external link)
I don't sell prints, but that would still bother me. Not because I would be worried that they are stealing business from me, but because of how rude and disrespectful that is. I, myself, would not do that as a guest, ever. Even before I started shooting, I refused to bring a camera to weddings because I knew they paid someone to be there and I always saw it as rude to try taking my own photos. Plus, I would rather be part of the moment than taking photos of it when someone else is already doing that. If there is not a photographer around, I am always the first to grab my camera though. Getting prints and giving them to the B&G right there just adds another level of disrespect.

I agree 100%. My reasoning for not saying anything, is that as this was my first experience with a "Guest with a camera," I was unprepared for that. That being said, being unprepared for that, I had no restrictions in my contract from others taking pictures, nor did I make a request to the B & G that no one else be allowed to...I made the mistake of believing that people would use common sense, as I have gone years without this sort of thing occurring. Since that is MY error, I kept my mouth shut, as their wedding day is NOT the day to make changes to my policies, contract, or agreements, rather, it's learning experience for me, and trust, I will be sure to specify that nobody can shadow me, or shoot while I am shooting formals and I will also make it a talking point when discussing terms with clients.

Facebook (external link)

Big ­ Frost
Joined Oct 2007
Elgin, Illinois
Aug 19, 2015 09:28 |  #28

DThriller wrote in post #17674913 (external link)
It blows my mind why a guest would care to do that?! Get prints and give them to the b and g at the wedding? These people realize they could be drinking and eating and socializing and ... I donno... Having a good time!

People are so weird...

I think the worst type of annoying person is the ones who want to ape off your shots bc they want to get into the business and see this as portfolio building. Twice I've been hired over the bride sister who I was warned about. Both times the brides told me "yeah me sister offered to shoot the wedding bc she wants to gain experience as a wedding photographer and ... Umm we said we were going to hire someone else..."

She didn't show up that day with this in mind, however, she took photos the previous day, and had them printed and they were placed in an antique hutch in the corner of the reception hall and when she learned of how pleased the bride was, she kind of wanted to "one up" herself. At least that's what she told me.

I don't want to talk down on her or her photos, because I am no one to judge and certainly am not above taking bad pictures myself, but the images she printed did not hurt my business what so ever, that I am sure of.

Facebook (external link)

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,841 posts
Joined Nov 2010
Aug 19, 2015 09:32 |  #29

I've had weddings where guests have taken pics and they've been printed by the time the reception started before. It's no big deal. Like guests taking pictures is no big deal. I don't get why so many photographers get so upset about it.

Personally I don't care what others are doing. The only pictures I have an interest in are the ones I take.

Peter

Big ­ Frost
Joined Oct 2007
Elgin, Illinois
Aug 19, 2015 09:43 |  #30

memoriesoftomorrow wrote in post #17674941 (external link)
I've had weddings where guests have taken pics and they've been printed by the time the reception started before. It's no big deal. Like guests taking pictures is no big deal. I don't get why so many photographers get so upset about it.

Personally I don't care what others are doing. The only pictures I have an interest in are the ones I take.

I didn't say anything to anyone at the wedding about her, her pictures, or shooting over my shoulder. Only reason I am going to change any part of my process, is because that little time that I have to capture the formals, is my favorite part of the day, and albeit she was not rude or disrespectful, it slowed the momentum of my process down. Aside from that, I don't care who takes pictures, regardless of the camera they're using.

Facebook (external link)

sponsored links

6,882 views & 11 likes for this thread
Guests posting photos before yours...does it bother you?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.