Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Short Films
Thread started 31 Mar 2015 (Tuesday) 21:54
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

The Elks - A 4K Mountaineering Film

charro ­ callado
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2008
PA
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by charro callado.
Mar 31, 2015 21:54 |  #1

Hey Guys,

It's been a REALLY long time since I've posted anything here, but I thought some of you might enjoy seeing my short film that I shot last summer over two weeks in Colorado. It's pretty unique because it's basically a video self-portrait. I was the only one shooting and starring in the film.

Or watch it in 4K on Youtube: The Elks - 4K, on YouTube (external link)

Cheers!

Joe

sponsored links
jdaly
986 posts
Joined Jan 2008
Mechanicsburg, Pa
May 10, 2015 21:27 |  #2

That was fantastic! Well done.

John

jkdwings
Joined Mar 2011
Fernie, BC, Canada
May 13, 2015 02:12 |  #3

Yeah, that was really great, thanks for sharing!

Canon 7D | Opteka 6.5mm/3.5 Fisheye | Tokina 11-16/2.8 | Canon 15-85/3.5-5.6 IS USM | Canon 35/2IS | Canon 50/1.8 II | Helios 44-2 58/2 | Sears 135/2.8 | Canon 70-200/4L
Canon T1i | Canon 18-55/3.5-5.6 IS

Lupo-Lobo
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2013
Texas
May 13, 2015 02:28 |  #4

Wonderful work ... missing Colorado and my youth more right about now.

Lupo

Robin522
Joined Aug 2009
Netherlands
Jun 13, 2015 09:25 |  #5

Really well made film! I like how it's very calming to watch and the scenery is stunningly beautiful. It's a true piece of art!

Canon EOS 80D
Canon 10-18mm STM | Canon 24-70mm f/4 | Canon 85mm f/1.8
Canon Speedlite 430EX II
500px (external link)

mattertea
227 posts
Joined Dec 2012
Montclair, NJ
Jun 18, 2015 12:43 |  #6

great job! parts of it looked like a commercial.

I was wondering, how did you get the dolly shots without anyone manning the camera?

Flickr (external link)
Sculpting Blog (external link)

charro ­ callado
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2008
PA
Jul 07, 2015 19:05 |  #7

jdaly wrote in post #17551297 (external link)
That was fantastic! Well done.

jkdwings wrote in post #17554411 (external link)
Yeah, that was really great, thanks for sharing!

Lupo-Lobo wrote in post #17554415 (external link)
Wonderful work ... missing Colorado and my youth more right about now.

RobinSchouten wrote in post #17595324 (external link)
Really well made film! I like how it's very calming to watch and the scenery is stunningly beautiful. It's a true piece of art!

Thanks everyone!

mattertea wrote in post #17602062 (external link)
great job! parts of it looked like a commercial.

I was wondering, how did you get the dolly shots without anyone manning the camera?

I used a Rhino Slider with my own DIY programmable motor system. I would line up my shot, record the desired motion on a delay, run in front of the camera, wait for it to start moving, and then start walking or climbing or whatever. In the first photo the battery pack and motor is attached; in the second photo it is not.

Joe

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Varneeezy
Joined Dec 2014
Bakersfield Ca.
Jul 07, 2015 22:04 |  #8

Such a sick video. Being from Colorado I've never been over to the aspen area. Just driven through. Now I think I'll go. Lol thanks for sharing bro.

charro ­ callado
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2008
PA
Jul 08, 2015 07:31 |  #9

Varneeezy wrote in post #17624270 (external link)
Such a sick video. Being from Colorado I've never been over to the aspen area. Just driven through. Now I think I'll go. Lol thanks for sharing bro.

Thanks man. I obviously have quite the love affair with the Elk Range...it's incredible. The peaks in that area range from easy (Castle/Conundrum) to difficult (Capitol) to notoriously dangerous (the Bells and Pyramid). The great diversity of rock in just a few short miles is what makes that possible.

I'm actually headed back in a few weeks to work on a longer, more in-depth documentary, so I'm pretty excited about that. Last year I got a good feel for how to film while climbing, what kind of equipment I needed (and didn't need), and what my physical limitations were for carrying pretty substantial gear up to 14,000+ft...so this time I'm feeling a lot more prepared and the film should definitely reflect that.

Joe

adned
Joined Aug 2006
Europe
Jul 08, 2015 11:27 |  #10

Very well, respect!

24-70 II ----- 70-200 II

charro ­ callado
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2008
PA
Jul 08, 2015 21:33 |  #11

adned wrote in post #17624804 (external link)
Very well, respect!

Thanks!

On another note - it's been so long since I've posted here that the whole format of the forums has changed...even the way photo attachments show up. Pretty cool you can see metadata and even the histogram!!! I used the EOS M for my behind the scenes camera and it worked pretty well.

Rant:

Sadly, I've pretty much migrated completely away from Canon...that's definitely the case for video and even now for photography. Canon's most recent entries into the camera market have just been so underwhelming, up to and including the new 5Ds. As a filmmaker in 2015 I can't take a $3,000+ camera seriously unless it can shoot 4K. I can work around dynamic range limitations with creative lighting or compositing, but I can't manufacture more pixels during a shoot. The technology is definitely available and there's no excuse for a massive company like Canon to be so far behind in implementing it. Sony is crushing it with the A7s and A7r II, and the only thing from Canon that holds a candle to those is the 1DC - which is twice the price. I cut my teeth on Canon gear but for this film and my new film that I'm about to shoot in a few weeks - it's all Red and Sony. Even the glass will be mostly Sigma, Sony, and Zeiss. I feel totally forced out of the Canon brand, and I know I'm not alone.

/Rant

Joe

troehr
682 posts
Joined Dec 2010
Chiang Rai, Thailand
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by troehr.
Nov 30, 2015 18:08 |  #12

I just stumbled into this section. Didn't even know it was here. I really enjoyed your movie. It was well shot and written. Getting out is always awesome.

charro ­ callado
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2008
PA
Dec 01, 2015 12:49 |  #13

troehr wrote in post #17802353 (external link)
I just stumbled into this section. Didn't even know it was here. I really enjoyed your movie. It was well shot and written. Getting out is always awesome.

Thanks...this section used to get more traffic (years ago, when I was a lot more active). glad you liked it!

ilovewater
191 posts
Joined Jan 2010
USA
Jan 04, 2016 17:26 |  #14

WOW!! (I know I'm late to the party, but I just saw this.) This is an AMAZING video, you did a great job! Thanks for sharing!

Van ­ Gogh
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2013
Toronto, Canada
Jan 05, 2016 07:05 |  #15

Great great video!
Well done, and know that a lot of people can totally relate to your what you are saying here! :-)

Camera - 2x5Dmk3, C100 mkii, 70D, 60D
Lenses - 24-70mm f2.8L II, 70-200mm f2.8L IS ii, 85mm f1.2L II, 35mm f1.4 ART, 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS
Lighting - 3 x 600EX RT's, Printer - Epson 3880
Website - http://www.shotlifestu​dio.com/ (external link)

sponsored links

7,928 views & 2 likes for this thread
The Elks - A 4K Mountaineering Film
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Short Films

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.