Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras
Thread started 13 Jul 2015 (Monday) 12:45
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Sony A7R II impression and images

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Harvesting Nano crystals
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by jdizzle.
Jul 13, 2015 12:45 |  #1

I'm not sure if this has been posted. Just thought I'd share. I'm sure many of you are waiting for your preorder.

http://briansmith.com/​field-test-sony-a7rii/ (external link)

http://www.cameraegg.o​rg ...ple-images-of-sony-a7rii/ (external link)

sponsored links
David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
10,137 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Aug 2010
West Point, Georgia
Jul 13, 2015 13:13 |  #2

Can't wait! :)

Wish I knew what my address is going to be when the pre-orders start shipping. Since we'll likely have our house up for sale at that time, I'll have to wait until the a7R II starts shipping and in stock before ordering.

David | Flickr (external link)

peteg1
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2008
Colorado
Jul 13, 2015 19:28 |  #3

Got a email today (Bestbuy), ship date changed to Aug 5. Trying to decide between 55mm 1.8 or 28mm 2.0 for my first Sony lens.

Zenfolioexternal link
Gear List

BrandonSi
Nevermind.. I'm silly.
Joined Sep 2004
Chicago
Jul 13, 2015 19:35 |  #4

peteg1 wrote in post #17630553 (external link)
Got a email today (Bestbuy), ship date changed to Aug 5. Trying to decide between 55mm 1.8 or 28mm 2.0 for my first Sony lens.

Wooo! Nice.. If BestBuy is shipping Aug 5, then that means B&H should at least be at 8/5 or earlier. That just made my day.. :)

Get the 55. Sounds like the Batis is going beat up on the 28mm in a number of departments. You'll probably see some good 'LNIB' lenses hit the classified after the Batis 25 is released and some people sell off their 28mm's to upgrade.

[ www (external link)· flickr (external link)]

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
10,137 posts
Joined Aug 2010
West Point, Georgia
Post has been last edited over 2 years ago by David Arbogast. 2 edits done in total.
Jul 13, 2015 20:03 |  #5

BrandonSi wrote in post #17630559 (external link)
Wooo! Nice.. If BestBuy is shipping Aug 5, then that means B&H should at least be at 8/5 or earlier. That just made my day.. :)

Get the 55. Sounds like the Batis is going beat up on the 28mm in a number of departments. You'll probably see some good 'LNIB' lenses hit the classified after the Batis 25 is released and some people sell off their 28mm's to upgrade.

Has B&H ever quickly fulfilled your hot-item pre-order before?

My experience is that too many people pre-order from B&H and they end up with huge waiting lists that takes them a long time to fulfill.In 2012, my coworker pre-ordered a D800 in the first hour of pre-orders and he was waiting for months. Meanwhile I had ordered mine from PCNation and had it within a week from when the D800 started shipping. I used it for months before deciding to sell it. Know who I sold it to? To that co-worker who was still waiting and waiting and waiting for B&H to finally fulfill all their pre-orders.

Same thing happened to me in 2013. I pre-ordered the Otus 55mm through B&H. But, was able to get one through PopFlashPhoto months before B&H finally had any in stock.

Those experiences have taught me to only order things from B&H that they have in stock.

2ndviolinman
344 posts
Joined May 2011
Jul 13, 2015 20:49 |  #6

Hi David, and first let me apologize to for giving you such a hard time in the Sony Lounge thread regarding gear churning. Everyone has their process. Maybe I'm jealous.

I think the strategy of trying to pick off a hot item from smaller dealers is a very good strategy. I am almost never a first wave buyer, but I managed to pick off, JUST before leaving town for last summer, my Canon 16-35/L IS on the first day it shipped, from PMIDigital, and shipped overnight. That lens was a no brainer for me to get right off the bat, and I had only a three day window from first shipping to leaving town. Preordering was not going to work in that case. I also got a friend the Canon 24-70/2.8Lii days after it first shipped, from KEH, while B&H was still out of stock after the first wave. The strategy is certainly worth a try if it is needed quickly.

David
5Dc, 5Dii, Canon 16-35 f/4L IS, 40/2.8 Pancake, 85/1.8, 100/2.8 Macro, 135/2.0L, 200/2.8L, converted 35mm TS, Sigma 50/2.8 Macro, 70/2.8 Macro, Zeiss ZE 21/2.8, Zeiss Contax 28/2.8, 50/1.7 & 85/2.8, Jena 135/3.5, Voigtlander 90mm f/3.5 APO, Canon 28-135.

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
13,816 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Jul 13, 2015 20:53 as a reply to David Arbogast's post |  #7

my previous hot item I ordered was the tamron 150-600 (HUGE demand at the time), and B&H definitely delivered the goods in a timely fashion.

They would definitely be my goto place for preorders (even though I'm a prime member!).

Sony A7rii x2 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - CV 35/1.7 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 35-70, 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8, 24/1.4 - Tamron 28-75 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 VC

BrandonSi
Nevermind.. I'm silly.
Joined Sep 2004
Chicago
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by BrandonSi.
Jul 13, 2015 22:02 |  #8

David Arbogast wrote in post #17630578 (external link)
Has B&H ever quickly fulfilled your hot-item pre-order before?

My experience is that too many people pre-order from B&H and they end up with huge waiting lists that takes them a long time to fulfill.In 2012, my coworker pre-ordered a D800 in the first hour of pre-orders and he was waiting for months. Meanwhile I had ordered mine from PCNation and had it within a week from when the D800 started shipping. I used it for months before deciding to sell it. Know who I sold it to? To that co-worker who was still waiting and waiting and waiting for B&H to finally fulfill all their pre-orders.

Same thing happened to me in 2013. I pre-ordered the Otus 55mm through B&H. But, was able to get one through PopFlashPhoto months before B&H finally had any in stock.

Those experiences have taught me to only order things from B&H that they have in stock.

Interesting.. I had an opposite experience with my Ricoh GR back in 2013. I received my order from B&H prior to others who had ordered elsewhere. And for what it's worth, I placed my a7rII pre-order within the first minute it was available (yes, I was that guy literally hitting F5 waiting for the pre-order to load). From what I've read (and I have no real source other than just read it a few times in multiple places) Sony and B&H are supposed to have a 'special' relationship when it comes to their mirrorless cameras.

But who knows, it's all speculation until it happens. My only real 'investment' in the situation is that I'm heading to Iceland on the afternoon of 8/13.. so I'm just crossing my fingers and hoping for the best. :)

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
10,137 posts
Joined Aug 2010
West Point, Georgia
Jul 13, 2015 22:05 |  #9

2ndviolinman wrote in post #17630630 (external link)
Hi David, and first let me apologize to for giving you such a hard time in the Sony Lounge thread regarding gear churning. Everyone has their process. Maybe I'm jealous.

I think the strategy of trying to pick off a hot item from smaller dealers is a very good strategy. I am almost never a first wave buyer, but I managed to pick off, JUST before leaving town for last summer, my Canon 16-35/L IS on the first day it shipped, from PMIDigital, and shipped overnight. That lens was a no brainer for me to get right off the bat, and I had only a three day window from first shipping to leaving town. Preordering was not going to work in that case. I also got a friend the Canon 24-70/2.8Lii days after it first shipped, from KEH, while B&H was still out of stock after the first wave. The strategy is certainly worth a try if it is needed quickly.

Thanks much for the kind words; really appreciate them. :)
The gear-churning is nearly over now - my extra-early retirement is at hand and so is a new life with no gear budget. But, I can hardly wait! Final things to do: decide whether to sell my a7S, a7R, and 5D III to get the a7R II, or just keep what I have and go forth with that.

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
10,137 posts
Joined Aug 2010
West Point, Georgia
Jul 13, 2015 22:21 |  #10

Charlie wrote in post #17630634 (external link)
my previous hot item I ordered was the tamron 150-600 (HUGE demand at the time), and B&H definitely delivered the goods in a timely fashion.

They would definitely be my goto place for preorders (even though I'm a prime member!).

Yes that was indeed a super-hot item. Months later those Tamrons were still hard to find in stock. I have no doubt that some do get their pre-orders fulfilled quickly....but you gotta be close to first in line.

I am not faulting B&H. It's just that they often have no control over how many units get shipped to them from the mfr.

BrandonSi wrote in post #17630709 (external link)
Interesting.. I had an opposite experience with my Ricoh GR back in 2013. I received my order from B&H prior to others who had ordered elsewhere. And for what it's worth, I placed my a7rII pre-order within the first minute it was available (yes, I was that guy literally hitting F5 waiting for the pre-order to load). From what I've read (and I have no real source other than just read it a few times in multiple places) Sony and B&H are supposed to have a 'special' relationship when it comes to their mirrorless cameras.

But who knows, it's all speculation until it happens. My only real 'investment' in the situation is that I'm heading to Iceland on the afternoon of 8/13.. so I'm just crossing my fingers and hoping for the best. :)

Brandon, you sound like someone who is going to have an experience like Charlie's. Seems like you took pains to be among the first in line. :) And if you're right about Sony and B&H then they may prioritize getting more units to them. It's really all up to Sony; B&H can only ship what they receive.

I sincerely hope you do get yours quickly; hope everyone here that pre-ordered does. I will wait to start seeing phenomenal a7R II images before I finally decide whether to sell my a7R and a7S to get the a7R II (very likely) or keep them and skip the upgrade (slim chance ;)).

BrandonSi
Nevermind.. I'm silly.
Joined Sep 2004
Chicago
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by BrandonSi.
Jul 13, 2015 22:37 |  #11

David Arbogast wrote in post #17630734 (external link)
Yes that was indeed a super-hot item. Months later those Tamrons were still hard to find in stock. I have no doubt that some do get their pre-orders fulfilled quickly....but you gotta be close to first in line.

I am not faulting B&H. It's just that they often have no control over how many units get shipped to them from the mfr.

Brandon, you sound like someone who is going to have an experience like Charlie's. Seems like you took pains to be among the first in line. :) And if you're right about Sony and B&H then they may prioritize getting more units to them. It's really all up to Sony; B&H can only ship what they receive.

I sincerely hope you do get yours quickly; hope everyone here that pre-ordered does. I will wait to start seeing phenomenal a7R II images before I finally decide whether to sell my a7R and a7S to get the a7R II (very likely) or keep them and skip the upgrade (slim chance ;)).

Thanks! I hope everyone gets theirs quickly as well.

Selling the a7s and a7r huh? That's a tough call.. I already sold the a7r in expectation of the rII, but I don't think I'd ever let the a7s go.. well, not until the a7sII at least. ;)

jonneymendoza
Goldmember
3,687 posts
Joined Apr 2008
Jul 14, 2015 02:04 |  #12

i am going to wait until real reviews appear especilaly from canon lens owners

Canon 5dmkIII | Canon 85L 1.2 | Sigma 35mm ART 1.4|Canon 16-35mm L 2.8 |Canon 24-70mm L f2.8 | Canon 70-200mm F2.8L MK2 | Canon 430EX MK2 Flickrexternal link

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
13,816 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Jul 14, 2015 11:30 |  #13

David Arbogast wrote in post #17630734 (external link)

actually, I wasnt first in line, I just decided on a whim and bought the item 2 months after release. I did some sampling in the tamron thread and it seemed to be the fasted if you missed preorder so I take that back the preorder (it wasnt actually a preorder prior to item release). It was just a really fast fulfillment compared to other sellers.

Sony A7rii x2 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - CV 35/1.7 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 35-70, 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8, 24/1.4 - Tamron 28-75 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 VC

jdizzle
THREAD ­ STARTER
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Harvesting Nano crystals
Jul 14, 2015 12:44 as a reply to peteg1's post |  #14

55 1.8!

bwallan
100 posts
Joined Jan 2014
Jul 14, 2015 16:19 |  #15

Anyone got anything to add to the original topic, "Sony A7R II Impressions and Images"!?

bwa

sponsored links

247,205 views & 1751 likes for this thread
Sony A7R II impression and images
FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.