Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography
Thread started 14 Jul 2015 (Tuesday) 19:32
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

The uber of photography?

zyndurai
Joined Apr 2009
Jul 14, 2015 19:32 |  #1

Anyone seen this:

http://picr.com/ref/39​X3S (external link)

Sounds great?! Thoughts?

My flickrexternal link

sponsored links
banquetbear
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2010
Wellington, New Zealand
Jul 14, 2015 20:02 |  #2

..."a revolutionary tool for securing clients without spending time and money on marketing?"

Are you kidding me?

Please feel free to subscribe (I'm not giving them my email address) because in the history of business I've yet to see one that can consistently secure clients without spending time nor money on marketing. But hey, they have 22 people and millions of dollars! And their address leads to what looks like a big carpark and a warehouse, and I can't find any more information online about them after an exhaustive 30 second google search.

www.bigmark.co.nzexternal link

Iscariotau
Joined Jun 2011
Sydney Australia
Jul 14, 2015 20:06 |  #3

From the sounds of it caveat emptor sums the situation up nicely.

I dont see how you can confidently select a photographer without seeing their work...

Mind you I didnt look at the link either, just dont understand how such a concept would work.

MyFlickrexternal link

zyndurai
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Apr 2009
Jul 14, 2015 21:29 |  #4

True, there are different skill sets and quality to photography services. Not straight forward as knowing how to drive with a car. However if they put in a rating system and get enough buy in from customers then it could work. It all depends on amount of participation. It could be a way for potential clients to find potential photographers. It can disrupt the industry as did uber did to the taxi business. The key is the demand. Taxi services are somewhat a necessity whereas photography is not quite unless there's a specific need. Anyway, let's wait and see how this model can work. The pricing model will be interesting. I'm curious how this will pan out.

My flickrexternal link

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,843 posts
Joined Nov 2010
Jul 14, 2015 22:09 |  #5

zyndurai wrote in post #17631950 (external link)
I'm curious how this will pan out.

Various suckers will sign up with their hard earned money... company will disappear into the ether with their money

Peter

urbanfreestyle
I am a squirrel who loves rubbing bottles and I have Nuts in my drawers, too!
Joined Dec 2013
Exeter, Devon
Jul 14, 2015 22:12 as a reply to memoriesoftomorrow's post |  #6

I've signed up but not paying a cent

Facebook (external link)
Sony @6000 | Sony 18-105 f4 G Series | Sony 16 f2.8 | Helios 44/m | Pentacon 135mm f2.8 | Yongnuo 560EX II | Manfrotto 055CX PRO3 | 3LT Mohawk ballhead | Lubitel 2 med format camera | Zenit EM 35mm camera |

groundloop
976 posts
Joined Jun 2012
Jul 15, 2015 07:15 |  #7

Gee, they're certainly forthcoming with details of how their 'plan' works, aren't they? ;-)a 'Just sign up and clients will be knocking down your doors' sounds just a bit too good to be true.

joedlh
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2007
Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by joedlh.
Jul 15, 2015 08:24 |  #8

I'm interested in seeing where this goes. I gave them one of my e-mail addresses. They didn't ask for a credit card number, which I would not have given. They're not actually in business yet. So the web site is just a feeler at this point. The way it's presenting itself, I can see hoards of GWCs signing up. If they don't exercise quality control, they won't be in business for long.

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​texternal link
Editing ok

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Jul 15, 2015 08:57 |  #9

at the bottom of the page they list a company name, Finic.

https://finic.com/ (external link)

I will probably create a new email address to see what they offer.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

banquetbear
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2010
Wellington, New Zealand
Jul 19, 2015 21:51 |  #10

zyndurai wrote in post #17631950 (external link)
True, there are different skill sets and quality to photography services. Not straight forward as knowing how to drive with a car. However if they put in a rating system and get enough buy in from customers then it could work. It all depends on amount of participation. It could be a way for potential clients to find potential photographers. It can disrupt the industry as did uber did to the taxi business. The key is the demand. Taxi services are somewhat a necessity whereas photography is not quite unless there's a specific need. Anyway, let's wait and see how this model can work. The pricing model will be interesting. I'm curious how this will pan out.

...the photography industry has already been disrupted several times in the last few years: the biggest example being the introduction of microstock. Like uber, it made stock photography much more affordable. Customers loved it because not only did getting images get cheaper, but so did the amount of choice. Do you need a picture of a sunset? Here are nearly 8000 images of sunsets, (external link) available from just one of many photo stock image companies out there, available at a fraction of the price that you used to have to pay.

For the consumer, disruption is fantastic and with the ongoing thrust of technology it really isn't something you can stop. For the broker or the "disruptor" it can be either good or bad. Microstock agencies had to drop the margins they paid their photographers when they realized that they actually weren't profitable. The only way to get into profit was to either raise prices or drop costs: and when price is your competitive edge and you have a surplus of product, cutting costs was the way to go. For a lot of the smaller microstock agency getting bought by a bigger agency was the business plan all along. But when the guy that is doing the buying starts running out of cash then (external link)the whole industry starts looking a bit wobbly.

As for photographers, microstock has been a mixed bag, tending towards the "really not worth the time" side of things. For the typical person who is looking for a "get rich scheme" stock turns into a bit of a disaster. There are so many photos of cats that their cat photos get rejected, and when they actually do get images accepted by the "gate keepers" they sit online, rarely visited, never sold. For the dedicated amateur its a great way to earn a few bucks. For most photographers in business stock photography is at best a passive income stream, but it really doesn't pay enough money to make it worth focusing on. It is possible to make proper money as a microstock photographer: but it needs to be a cornerstone of your business plan and you need to be shooting for stock every second day and tracking trends/marketing yourself just like you would if you were running any other sort of business.

So "disrupting an industry" tends to mean happier consumers, a happy middleman if they have a monopoly but a grim middleman if they don't, and a big jump in the amount of producers with a few smiles here and there but everyone else have sad faces. :(

And I think that the "rebrand" on the PICR page bears that out. In the few days since I last visited the website the marketing message has completely changed, which for a company that allegedly has 22 staff and millions of dollars behind it is a bit of a worry. And the message has changed from:

"a revolutionary tool for securing clients without spending time and money on marketing"

to

"The world’s first platform that enables every photographer to earn money." Followed by "Get notified and get six months free."

The first message is almost impossible and in my country would probably get them hauled over the coals for false advertising. The revised message literally made me laugh out loud. I can make a platform that will enable every photographer to earn money as well: its called a telephone.

benji25
Joined Jan 2010
Twin Cities
Jul 28, 2015 20:05 |  #11

Our platform will allow clients to find and book sessions with you.

Like Google?

By using PICR, you will work directly with the clients you want.

Do I not work with clients I want now?

Once the job is done, you’re paid without needing to worry about collecting money. No hassle whatsoever.

Like getting paid up front?

Seriously does anyone know what they do?

Websiteexternal link
flickrexternal link

PineBomb
I have many notable flaws
Joined Apr 2014
Psych Ward, East Wing, USA
Jul 28, 2015 20:08 |  #12

If it sounds too good to be true ....

-Matt
Website (external link) | flickr (external link) | instagram (external link) | street portrait project on instagram (external link)

banquetbear
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2010
Wellington, New Zealand
Jul 28, 2015 20:18 |  #13

...so they've completely changed their website again? The third time in three weeks? And the marketing message has changed, yet again?

jecottrell
325 posts
Joined Nov 2012
Tucson, AZ
Jul 28, 2015 21:06 |  #14

Pretty interesting background (external link)...

banquetbear
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2010
Wellington, New Zealand
Jul 28, 2015 22:17 |  #15

jecottrell wrote in post #17648090 (external link)
Pretty interesting background (external link)...

...well this post explains everything:

http://startuplabs.com ...have-less-than-500k-left/ (external link)

We have less than $500K left and nothing to say for ourselves. We still haven’t decided on our business model, what services we will offer, and which target market we should go after. We are still pivoting every single week as we test different hypotheses.

My god.

They've burned through 11 million dollars and only have half a million left and half a million won't last them three months. And they are testing different business models every week trying to find one that will work.

These guys are utter fools. Advice to everyone here: stay away, don't send them your email and don't give them any money.

My goodness, I've read more of their blog, and they are literally burning through cash, and don't see anything wrong with that. Incredible.

sponsored links

9,059 views & 12 likes for this thread
The uber of photography?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.