Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography
Thread started 18 Mar 2015 (Wednesday) 17:41
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

National Geographic Wants To Include My Image On Their Upcoming Book

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Jun 15, 2015 12:56 |  #46

Congratulations, and thanks for all the followup posts.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

sponsored links
4g63
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2009
Philippines
Jun 15, 2015 19:19 |  #47

Thanks again everyone! Will post here again once I receive my copy of the book this fall. :-)

flickrexternal link

Sailor ­ Larry
Joined Nov 2014
Oklahoma
Jul 09, 2015 14:59 |  #48

Great image

A rare view of the inside of a genuine can of American whoopass

Galix
Joined May 2013
Jul 14, 2015 20:38 |  #49

Amazing photo, that's for sure: first time I saw it, I spent many minutes just looking at each soldier and the way they seem to pass their time. It was fun, thanks !

I do have a not-so-fun question though. If the 4g63 was in that plane, surely he was working in some way. If so, who is the real owner of the copyrights, him or his employer?

Where I am from (Canada) the employer owns the right to the photo if it was taken during work hours.

Dan ­ Marchant
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2011
Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.
Jul 14, 2015 21:34 |  #50

Galix wrote in post #17631908 (external link)
I do have a not-so-fun question though. If the 4g63 was in that plane, surely he was working in some way. If so, who is the real owner of the copyrights, him or his employer?

Where I am from (Canada) the employer owns the right to the photo if it was taken during work hours.

Unless the image was taken as part of his work (IE he is employed as a photographer or taking photos is a specific part of his job description, or he was specifically tasked to take this shot by his employer), the copyright belongs to him. I suspect that the same applies in Canada as it does in most other countries.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Repps cum Bastwick, Gt Yarmouth, Norfolk, UK.
Jul 15, 2015 04:52 |  #51

In Canada until quite recently in commercial situations the commissoning party owned the copyright. Which is actually what a lot of people in the rest of the world think is (should be?) the case. Canada recently changed their copyright laws to match the norms for the Bern Convention, of photographer owning copyright.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

Galix
Joined May 2013
Jul 15, 2015 12:08 as a reply to BigAl007's post |  #52

Interesting turn of event.

My understanding is that when a photography is taken during work hours, the photographer being under subordination of his employer, the employer retains the copyrights. The law that was passed in 2012 refers to contract work and not employment, thus my question to 4g63 as to him being contracted or employed by the armed forces.

I don't want to derail the original intention of this discussion, I still think it is a good photograph !

4g63
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2009
Philippines
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by 4g63.
Jul 15, 2015 18:57 |  #53

Galix wrote in post #17631908 (external link)
Amazing photo, that's for sure: first time I saw it, I spent many minutes just looking at each soldier and the way they seem to pass their time. It was fun, thanks !

Thanks! The copyright belongs to me. My employer is the US Army and I was not hired to take the shot. I'm just a hobbyist :lol:.

flickrexternal link

4g63
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2009
Philippines
Oct 21, 2015 21:13 |  #54

Yay! The book is out!

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

flickrexternal link

snerd
Joined Nov 2010
Oklahoma
Oct 21, 2015 21:43 |  #55

Totally freaking awesome! Congrats!

"Light travels faster than sound. Which is why people some people appear bright, until you hear them speak..."

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by Tom Reichner.
Oct 21, 2015 23:05 |  #56

4g63 wrote in post #17755243 (external link)
Yay! The book is out!
thumbnailHosted photo: posted by 4g63 in
./showthread.php?p=177​55243&i=i122088550
forum: The Business of Photography

A full bleed double-truck.....how awesome is that?!!!!

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

EnglishBob
Joined Dec 2004
Clovis, California.
Oct 21, 2015 23:09 |  #57

Awesome, congratulations.

Galleryexternal link MyGearexternal link About Meexternal link

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
Joined Sep 2013
Portland, OR
Oct 21, 2015 23:12 |  #58

Congrats! Great shot.

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - 18-55 - 35 f2 WR - 50-140 - 6D - 135L - 70-200 f4L IS - 600EX-RT x2 - ST-E3-RT - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

Dan ­ Marchant
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2011
Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.
Oct 22, 2015 22:18 |  #59

Congrats.... that's excellent.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,704 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Oct 22, 2015 22:29 |  #60

Awesome!

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

sponsored links

12,702 views & 24 likes for this thread
National Geographic Wants To Include My Image On Their Upcoming Book
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.