Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events
Thread started 30 Jun 2015 (Tuesday) 13:01
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

5DSR into the sun wedding as a spectator

this thread is locked
chrisnosleep
88 posts
Joined Dec 2012
Midwest
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by chrisnosleep.
Jul 16, 2015 17:48 |  #61

wallstreetoneil wrote in post #17630409 (external link)
I personally think some of the comments are hysterical - especially from the skier photog when you look at his website and see massively over blue skies, over white or grey snow, backlight scenarios with dark faces etc and then tossing stones about my colour blindness - got a good chuckle over that one

from my original posting

"with the amount of backlighting (it was brutal), i have taken a somewhat artistic spin on the PP to try and extract something that I liked"

i will repeat, "artistic spin"

i decided to see what I could create that I liked given it wasn't my gig, the bride, a 1st cousin of my partner who married the couple that we flew out 2000 miles to be at their wedding, a couple who was given my 10 minutes of photos the next day (which they have shared on social media and got lots of nice comments), photos that were taken quickly from the bleachers, between people's head in front of me and maybe 10 people of 250 at the wedding saw my camera and 'white' lens taken quickly out of the bag to take some pictures straight into the blinding sun

i don't let critique phase me at all - I rather enjoy it - especially the constructive negative stuff

Here is another example (5DSR with 24-105 @ 24mm, F8, 1/100) 'almost' straight into the sun, just out of frame camera left mid day, no flash, from a very last minute 10 minute elopement, we did at the cottage for a couple who drove up from the city to get hitched (she is very ill with cancer).

The image has the shadows lifted in LR, a large boat in the background removed in PS as well as their casted shadow on the grass.

When I was exposing / metering this image, I tried to push it without losing the blue in the sky because I wanted to see if I could get some detail in his shaded dark blue suit - more DR would help.

Let it rip

QUOTED IMAGE
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/vKyK​16] (external link)orillia-9 (external link) by Paul O'Neil (external link), on Flickr

Is it just me or does there appear to be a halo around the couple from local adjustments? Just popped in here to start familiarizing myself with the whole wedding world and came across this lengthy thread. To the OP, I was wondering if you have an IPS monitor and/or is it calibrated? I broke down and purchased both and will tell you, there is a world of difference in what you're putting out to the world.

Canon EOS 70D, EOS 6D, EOS 650D / EOS Rebel T4i / EOS Kiss X6i, EOS 5D Mark III | Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 40mm f/2.8 STM, EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II, EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM, EF 16-35 f/4 L IS USM |

sponsored links
davesrose
Goldmember
2,774 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Atlanta, GA
Jul 16, 2015 19:03 |  #62

chrisnosleep wrote in post #17633876 (external link)
Is it just me or does there appear to be a halo around the couple from local adjustments?

Nope, not just you. Yeah, when it comes to adjustment masks, I find it's best to try looking at several monitors. All my monitors are calibrated (and I've got one uncalibrated monitor at work that I don't have permissions to change...it has way too much of a blue hue and gamma adjustment, so it's my test for a "regular" client who doesn't even know what a calibrated monitor means). I've found that even calibrated, certain monitors can look different, since they all have different color depths ( and the calibration system is trying to utilize the most color range in a profile). The less contrast range you have in the photo, as well as more saturated colors, the more you have to be really careful with feathering and adjustments with masks.

Canon 5D mk III , 7D mk II
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,841 posts
Joined Nov 2010
Jul 16, 2015 19:16 |  #63

davesrose wrote in post #17633938 (external link)
Nope, not just you.

Sorry, I see it too. It is subtle but definitely there.

Peter

the ­ flying ­ moose
Goldmember
1,628 posts
Joined Dec 2006
Jul 17, 2015 00:04 |  #64

memoriesoftomorrow wrote in post #17633944 (external link)
Sorry, I see it too. It is subtle but definitely there.

I see it as well.

nazmo
Joined Jan 2014
CT, South Africa
Jul 17, 2015 03:16 |  #65

Hurts my eyes a little, does not look like there's much flash fill, more a case of exposing for skin and blowing everything to kingdom come ?

70D :: Sigma 50mm 1.4 A :: Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 :: Simga 18-35mm 1.8 A :: Sigma 50-150mm F2.8
Some of my recent work - https://www.flickr.com​/photos/119061318@N03/ (external link)
My Squarespace page - http://nrpcreations.sq​uarespace.com/ (external link)

DagoImaging
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2012
Jul 17, 2015 04:42 |  #66

wallstreetoneil wrote in post #17631033 (external link)
I liked the dock (think that is what you are calling a jetty) - but here you go. Horizon didn't bother me either. Also removed the shine on his head from the overhead sun. This was a 10 minute elopement ceremony for a women very ill with cancer we did as a gift - I did not spend my regular time editing the photos.

QUOTED IMAGE
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/vHaW​r8] (external link)orillia-10 (external link) by Paul O'Neil (external link), on Flickr

I have a hard time w/ this statement....

You want a pat on the back for doing this as a gift, then continue to say you didn't spend your regular time on editing. Just tells me it really didn't mean anything to you and spent as little time as possible and it showed.

If you're doing something for someone as a gift, should it not require as much effort as a paid gig? I know it does to me.

Sony a6300/ 16-70/4 / 70-200/4 G / Sony HVL-60M

wallstreetoneil
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2014
Toronto Canada
Jul 17, 2015 07:30 |  #67

nazmo wrote in post #17634286 (external link)
Hurts my eyes a little, does not look like there's much flash fill, more a case of exposing for skin and blowing everything to kingdom come ?

- there is no flash - 5DSR with a 24-105 - radial filter over faces to brighten them slightly to mimic a fill flash - LR work done on a Macbook Air at the cottage
- we were away for the week and got an urgent request for a marriage - couple drove up to us

Hockey and wedding photographer. Favourite camera / lens combos: a 1DX II with a Tamron 45 1.8 VC, an A7Rii with a Canon 24-70F2.8L II, and a 5DSR with a Tamron 85 1.8 VC. Every lens I own I strongly recommend [Canon (35Lii, 100L Macro, 24-70F2.8ii, 70-200F2.8ii, 100-400Lii), Tamron (45 1.8, 85 1.8), Sigma 24-105]. If there are better lenses out there let me know because I haven't found them.

wallstreetoneil
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2014
Toronto Canada
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by wallstreetoneil.
Jul 17, 2015 09:31 |  #68

DagoImaging wrote in post #17634316 (external link)
I have a hard time w/ this statement....

You want a pat on the back for doing this as a gift, then continue to say you didn't spend your regular time on editing. Just tells me it really didn't mean anything to you and spent as little time as possible and it showed.

If you're doing something for someone as a gift, should it not require as much effort as a paid gig? I know it does to me.

Here are the facts from that day - please decide how much better of a job you could have done:
- I was away on vacation with my family
- we received an urgent call from a couple who drove up to us 2 hours to get married
- I had with me a 5DSR and a 24-105
- I had no lighting (5DSR has no flash that I could use for fill)
- I had my 11" Macbook Air
- The ceremony lasted a few minutes and they then headed off to a lawyer
- We had a small grassed area at the water - pretty but back light
- it was 12 noon
- I took a few pictures during their short vows and a couple right after
- she was not well and needed his support (I was not directing them how to stand)
- I slightly overexposed the background, to bring it back afterwards in LR, to gain some additional light on their dark faces
- I used a few radial filters on their dark front side to bring up the exposure
- there was a large boat parked right behind them which I quickly removed in PS (I liked the dock - thought it showed the area we were in so left it - I agree it looks better without it)
- grass was somewhat patchy / burnt out so I cloned those spots out
- I forwarded them the pictures 30 minutes after they left while they were on route to their lawyers for some additional proof of marriage

If she recovers, they plan on having another ceremony with family and friends and have asked us to be their officiant and photographer.

The only reason I posted the picture is because it was with the 'new' 5DSR and I thought people would be interested in seeing it - backlit, no fill flash, 24-105, F8, high noon - nothing fancy.

Hockey and wedding photographer. Favourite camera / lens combos: a 1DX II with a Tamron 45 1.8 VC, an A7Rii with a Canon 24-70F2.8L II, and a 5DSR with a Tamron 85 1.8 VC. Every lens I own I strongly recommend [Canon (35Lii, 100L Macro, 24-70F2.8ii, 70-200F2.8ii, 100-400Lii), Tamron (45 1.8, 85 1.8), Sigma 24-105]. If there are better lenses out there let me know because I haven't found them.

Aressem
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2009
Vancouver, BC
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by Aressem.
Jul 17, 2015 09:47 |  #69

wallstreetoneil wrote in post #17634498 (external link)
Here are the facts from that day - please decide how much better of a job you could have done:
- I was away on vacation with my family
- we received an urgent call from a couple who drove up to us 2 hours to get married
- I had with me a 5DSR and a 24-105
- I had no lighting (5DSR has no flash that I could use for fill)
- I had my 11" Macbook Air
- The ceremony lasted a few minutes and they then headed off to a lawyer
- We had a small grassed area at the water - pretty but back light
- it was 12 noon
- I took a few pictures during their short vows and a couple right after
- she was not well and needed his support (I was not directing them how to stand)
- I slightly overexposed the background, to bring it back afterwards in LR, to gain some additional light on their dark faces
- I used a few radial filters on their dark front side to bring up the exposure
- there was a large boat parked right behind them which I quickly removed in PS (I liked the dock - thought it showed the area we were in so left it - I agree it looks better without it)
- grass was somewhat patchy / burnt out so I cloned those spots out
- I forwarded them the pictures 30 minutes after they left while they were on route to their lawyers for some additional proof of marriage

If she recovers, they plan on having another ceremony with family and friends and have asked us to be their officiant and photographer.

The only reason I posted the picture is because it was with the 'new' 5DSR and I thought people would be interested in seeing it - backlit, no fill flash, 24-105, F8, high noon - nothing fancy.

It's amazing how contrasting this post is from your OP, even just the first 3 sentences.

wallstreetoneil wrote in post #17615906 (external link)
was in Saskatchewan last week for a family wedding as a guest
i brought the 5DSR, a 24-70II and a 100-400II with me to shoot various stuff
there was a paid young lady pro covering the wedding and I was there to relax

Considering the urgency you [now] claim, it doesn't seem like you were there to relax at all. I'm finding it very difficult to know what to believe. Anyways... you've got a sweet setup. Get out there and shoot - spend more time enjoying it, and less time defending yourself here. Good luck!

Ryan Mackay WEBSITE (external link) | FACEBOOK (external link) | GEAR LIST | Buy & Sell Feedback: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

scobols
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2006
Waconia, MN
Jul 17, 2015 10:23 |  #70

Aressem wrote in post #17634509 (external link)
It's amazing how contrasting this post is from your OP, even just the first 3 sentences.

I believe he was referring to the photo he posted in reply #42, not the photos in the original post.

www.scottbolster.comexternal link
facebookexternal link

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,611 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Jul 17, 2015 11:12 |  #71

IMAGE: https://s3.amazonaws.com/img.ultrasignup.com/events/raw/6a76f4a3-4ad2-4ae2-8a3b-c092e85586af.jpg

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

wallstreetoneil
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2014
Toronto Canada
Jul 17, 2015 11:32 |  #72

Aressem wrote in post #17634509 (external link)

Considering the urgency you [now] claim, it doesn't seem like you were there to relax at all. I'm finding it very difficult to know what to believe. Anyways... you've got a sweet setup. Get out there and shoot - spend more time enjoying it, and less time defending yourself here. Good luck!

The original post and pictures were from nearly 3 weeks ago when I flew to Saskatchewan for a family wedding. The second picture was while on vacation with my family from last week. The fact that you find things difficult to believe about someone else's life is not something I understand - lots of people live different lives.

In terms of the setup, the 5DSR and the 100-400II from the original post are now my two favourite pieces of equipment. There are things about the 5DSR that I wish were improved (the buffer speed when reviewing pictures and the I wish it had more than 12 stops of DR), but it is a great camera - the other thing that would have been helpful on this day would have been a pop up flash that I could have used for fill.

sponsored links

12,225 views & 49 likes for this thread
5DSR into the sun wedding as a spectator
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.