Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 21 Jun 2015 (Sunday) 20:19
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

5DS for weddings....

bigcountry
Goldmember
4,476 posts
Joined Oct 2006
Louisville, KY
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by bigcountry.
Jun 21, 2015 20:19 |  #1

i posted this on my blog, but will post here as well:

I did manage to get a 5DS, and wanted to share with an image with you as well as a 100% crop just to show you what this camera can do. I took the camera to two weddings this weekend, and it definitely does has it’s place at weddings, but you have to be smart about it as these files are HUGE and the space they take adds up quickly.

Here is the image (these images have some small editing applied):

IMAGE: http://www.holzphotoclient.com/Gear/5ds/i-4nVN36p/0/XL/019A2084-XL.jpg

and here is the 100% crop! Look at how sharp those eyes are, how much detail is in the hair of the bride.

http://www.holzphotocl​ient.com ...1%20at%208.14.30%20​PM.jpg (external link)

Louisville Kentucky Wedding Photographerexternal link
Travel the World and Photographexternal link
Find me on Facebookexternal link

sponsored links
umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
Joined Oct 2007
Gig Harbor, Washington
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by umphotography.
Jun 22, 2015 10:02 |  #2

BC

Funny. I was just talking to another photographer who has one as well about this topic. For those that have not shot film, this was they way it used to be. The Hassy came out for the important shots and the formals and the 35's did just about everything else.

So I think this could be a return to that type of mentality. I have seen peter hurleys and others images from the camera. Images are impressive. File size still has me turned off.

Honestly. Im not going to Poo Poo this camera. I think im going to wait ad see what the specs are on the 5D4, see what they are going to do to the 1Dx sensor and then make a decision. I can see a nice use of this camera and a return to breaking out the big file camera for formals and super important formals.

Might be a good idea. But, my 5D3s work well for weddings and im gonna wait and see for 2015 for camera bodies.

All depends on what the 5D4 update will be before i decide on this camera body. Files look great for sure.

Mike
www.umphotography.comexternal link
GEAR LIST
Facebookexternal link

JohnThomas
401 posts
Joined May 2012
Long Island, New York
Jul 13, 2015 14:13 |  #3

This is a little random and my intention is not to hi jack the thread.. just curious:

Does the 5Ds have the silent shutter feature? It's really important to me regarding wedding photography.

You can call me JT
jsantiniphotography.co​m

Gaarryy
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2010
The Colony-- texas
Jul 14, 2015 14:46 |  #4

bigcountry wrote in post #17605821 (external link)

I did manage to get a 5DS, and wanted to share with an image with you as well as a 100% crop just to show you what this camera can do. I took the camera to two weddings this weekend, and it definitely does has it’s place at weddings, but you have to be smart about it as these files are HUGE and the space they take adds up quickly.

Here is the image (these images have some small editing applied):

QUOTED IMAGE

and here is the 100% crop! Look at how sharp those eyes are, how much detail is in the hair of the bride.

http://www.holzphotocl​ient.com ...1%20at%208.14.30%20​PM.jpg (external link)

How tall are you :)

While I don't do weddings I was curious if this camera would end up for all the planned formal shots, it's not a true studio environment this camera is for but it's not run and gun also.

---------------Camera, Lens, Flash stuff.. but still wanting more

BlakeC
"Dad was a meat cutter"
Joined Jul 2014
West Michigan, USA
Jul 14, 2015 14:51 |  #5

If it's that much of an issue, couldn't you just shoot M-RAW?

Blake C
BlakeC-Photography.com (external link)
Follow Me on Facebook (external link) , Instagram (external link), or Google+ (external link)
80D |70D | SL1 - Σ 18-35 1.8 ART, Σ 50-100 1.8 ART, Σ 17-50 2.8, Canon 24 2.8 Pancake, Canon 50 1.8 STM, Canon 10-18 STM

bigcountry
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,476 posts
Joined Oct 2006
Louisville, KY
Jul 14, 2015 15:51 |  #6

It does have silent shutter, although the straight up shutter mode is pretty quiet.

JohnThomas
401 posts
Joined May 2012
Long Island, New York
Jul 15, 2015 09:53 |  #7

bigcountry wrote in post #17631592 (external link)
It does have silent shutter, although the straight up shutter mode is pretty quiet.

Awesome news, thank you.

You can call me JT
jsantiniphotography.co​m

bigcountry
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,476 posts
Joined Oct 2006
Louisville, KY
Jul 15, 2015 12:22 |  #8

I dont even put it is Silent mode because it is so quiet in regular shutter.

flowrider
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2009
Jul 15, 2015 13:08 as a reply to umphotography's post |  #9

Pretty much what I used to do. I used a Mamiya RB67 for formals and important shots and 35 for everything else. The RB was much more of a studio camera than the Hasselblad but it did the job.

~Steve~
~ My Website-stevelowephoto.com (external link) ~ Facebook (external link)
Feedback Feedback Feedback

shiftlens
Mostly Lurking
Joined Sep 2010
Jul 19, 2015 00:41 |  #10

I used to use the Rollei SL66 for formals and the Mamiya 645 for the rest of the wedding. I also had a Rodenstock Imagon with adaptors for both cameras. Digital pretty much made that lens useless.

davesrose
Goldmember
2,854 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Atlanta, GA
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by davesrose.
Jul 19, 2015 01:09 |  #11

bigcountry wrote in post #17631592 (external link)

Thanks for the sample. The 5DS certainly seems like a capable camera and a go to for best detail. However, I don't think it eliminates other cameras. I've seen the Peter Hurley videos in which he's shooting with or being a guest on the Grid. While he's certainly a successful commercial photographer, I can't say he strikes me as someone who's technical! Because in the Grid episode, he even said he started off as a medium format digital shooter, I take his recommendations with a grain of salt. I could see the need for the highest MP if you're going to be doing a large print. For my uses, don't think I could justify the 5DS (only on rare occasions would it be better then the 5D3). I'm really interested in seeing what the August announcements will be. If it's a 5D4, will it be higher DR and 4k video...who knows, but those would be some nice features for me:)

Canons do have quiet shutters in general: when I first got the 5D3, I was impressed with it's relatively quiet noise. My coworkers at work that are the photographers have to use Nikon. I've noticed the D7100 has a loud shutter whether it's in normal or silent mode...the D810 is better, but still louder then the 5D series.

Canon 5D mk III , 7D mk II
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

clipper_from_oz
Goldmember
1,957 posts
Joined Sep 2005
Melbourne Australia
Post has been last edited over 2 years ago by clipper_from_oz. 10 edits done in total.
Jul 19, 2015 03:10 |  #12

davesrose wrote in post #17636207 (external link)
I could see the need for the highest MP if you're going to be doing a large print. .

Actually the high megapixels help in one other important area which is the main reason I got a 5dsr .....and that is cropping. Sometimes no matter how hard I try and compose prior to shooting I either get something in the image that I need to crop out or the image or it just simply looks better with cropping applied........And because I dont see it till I get it in post processing depending on the amount of crop I need to apply it may be to much cropping to leave a reasonable size image left that looks ok at stnd 20mp ff image sizes.........ANd interpolation is not an option as it visibly degrades images going up ......So when I got the 5dsr I dont need to worry as much now I can crop to 50% and still get a size that still allows for a larger native image than the current 5d3 at 100% allows.

Or alternatively for my style of photography I can shoot higher iso for whatver reason than I would normally shoot ( I almost never go past iso800) at 50 megapixel at say 1600 and then in PS have the ability to downsample to 5d3 size image and have an advantage of reduced noise and increased sharpness by holding all the detail by downsampling the size. That hasd the net effect of getting a faster iso and not suffering a noticeable 1600 noise increase over an iso 800. As well as added sharpness. There are a couple of links on the internet where comaprison images are done similar to how I describe above showing the advantage of starting large and downsampling for image IQ benefits

Here are some interesting links that touch on benefits of 5dsr 50megapixel downsampling and also heavily cropping 5dsr and still getting useable images

downsampling here http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Ca​non-EOS-5Ds.aspx (external link)
and here

https://www.onlandscap​e.co.uk ...7/testing-the-canon-5dsr/ (external link)

and cropping here ...although this is for wildlife no reason why the same principal cant be used for other types of Photograpy

https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=vLxN83DsGYc (external link)

Final thing on a bigger megapixel image....I have noticed that when I use the images just for web and use the full 50megapixels ( when I shoot image) the image tends to take on an almost 3 dimensional look due to the huge amount of image information that is captured.....These just look so much better than my other images from any of my other cameras.....Even if I only use smaller downsampled sizes (that allowed all cameras to be equal in megapixels) it is subtly noticeable.....Images just seem better....... .This technological leap reminds me a bit of the huge impact the 5d2 had on FF image IQ when it first came out and how to my eye it was the first image I had ever seen that had the creamy texture colors and detail that conventional 35mm( and MF) film trannies captured....5dsr does this to a lesser degree but nevertheless images do look better IMO

Clipper
5DSR,5DMkII,Fuji XPRO1,X-T1&X-T20,Fotoman 6x17cm Large Format Panorama Camera,Mamiya Universal 6x9
Canon EF 16-35mm f4 L, 17mm TSE f4 L,50mm f1.4, 24-70 f2.8 L, 70-200mm F4 L, 85mm f1.8, 100-400mm II L,
Fujinon XF18mmf2, XF35mmf1.4, XF60mm f2, XF18-55f2.8-4.5, XF55-200f4
Rodenstock, Sinar& Nikkor LF lens for Pano (75,95,150+210mm)
flickr (external link)

bigcountry
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,476 posts
Joined Oct 2006
Louisville, KY
Jul 19, 2015 08:35 |  #13

The 5ds is what youwant it to be if you can deal with the limitations. Pin my opinion the biggest limitation is the buffer.

I do not use the cam as the main rig at weddings because I do not want to deal with 2500 60mb files.

But I can't wait to take this camera to Brazil next month to photograph Jaguars.

mdvaden
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2009
Beaverton, Oregon
Aug 01, 2016 16:35 |  #14

bigcountry wrote in post #17636408 (external link)
The 5ds is what youwant it to be if you can deal with the limitations. Pin my opinion the biggest limitation is the buffer.

I do not use the cam as the main rig at weddings because I do not want to deal with 2500 60mb files.

But I can't wait to take this camera to Brazil next month to photograph Jaguars.

Why would you "have to" deal with 60mb files?

The menu on mine allows me to use other smaller file sizes too.

vadenphotography.comexternal link . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Pageexternal link

mdvaden
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2009
Beaverton, Oregon
Aug 01, 2016 16:42 |  #15

bigcountry wrote in post #17605821 (external link)

Same question to you as well. Why the "have to" be?

Seems that "smart" would be using the camera's other file sizes, as well as some other functions that apparently erase reason to keep a crop-sensor aside from frame rate.

But the 5DS should have file size options comparable to the 5D Mk iii. If someone is just shooting huge files with the 5DS and don't need them that big, it should be their shortcoming rather than the camera's.

vadenphotography.comexternal link . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Pageexternal link

sponsored links

5,600 views & 2 likes for this thread
5DS for weddings....
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.