Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers
Thread started 29 Jul 2015 (Wednesday) 20:06
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Windows 10

gjl711
They have pills for that now you know.
53,031 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Deep in the heart of Texas
Jul 30, 2015 10:38 |  #16

EnglishBob wrote in post #17649992 (external link)
Tried it on my laptop for a few months, it's better than win 8 in my opinion, but my main machine will remain Win 7 for now.

Better than 8.1? That's what i am running and as i said, it has been flawless.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

sponsored links
EnglishBob
Joined Dec 2004
Clovis, California.
Jul 30, 2015 10:45 as a reply to gjl711's post |  #17

Yes, sorry should of put 8.1.

To be fair I have never liked 8 or 8.1, but then I am a troglodite and hate touchscreens and tablets... I want my PC to feel like a computer rather than a tablet, and 8.1 to me changes the computer's basic function too much.

10 makes me feel more comfortable in the workflow and stream of basic windows operations, but not enough to make me jump from 7.0.

Driver issues with some of my hardware were also a factor, but they may well be sorted soon now it is on general release.

Galleryexternal link MyGearexternal link About Meexternal link

scobols
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2006
Waconia, MN
Jul 30, 2015 15:27 |  #18

Ugh - I'm so frustrated.

I upgraded to Windows 10 on an Asus laptop and lost all of my networking. The folder is just empty. I tried troubleshooting for hours and finally decided to try reinstalling 10. That didn't work either. So then I tried rolling it back to 8.1. It only let me roll back one version - which was the first install of 10. I didn't even think about the Windows.old folder being overwritten.

I do have a backup of almost everything that was on the PC - EXCEPT for the Windows folder!!

Ugh. Why didn't I clone the HD first??

So now I have a Windows 10 laptop on which everything works but the networking. No Wi-Fi nor LAN connections. Tomorrow I will try a new install on another hard drive and see if I have any luck. Otherwise I'll probably have to install Win 8.1 on another drive and migrate everything to that one.

Please make sure you have a solid backup (or clone) before you install 10. I've upgraded two other machines and have not had any issues with either.

Scott

www.scottbolster.comexternal link
facebookexternal link

mike_d
Goldmember
4,973 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Jul 30, 2015 16:57 |  #19

scobols wrote in post #17650356 (external link)
Ugh - I'm so frustrated.

I upgraded to Windows 10 on an Asus laptop and lost all of my networking. The folder is just empty. I tried troubleshooting for hours and finally decided to try reinstalling 10. That didn't work either. So then I tried rolling it back to 8.1. It only let me roll back one version - which was the first install of 10. I didn't even think about the Windows.old folder being overwritten.

I do have a backup of almost everything that was on the PC - EXCEPT for the Windows folder!!

So now I have a Windows 10 laptop on which everything works but the networking. No Wi-Fi nor LAN connections. Tomorrow I will try a new install on another hard drive and see if I have any luck. Otherwise I'll probably have to install Win 8.1 on another drive and migrate everything to that one.

Please make sure you have a solid backup (or clone) before you install 10. I've upgraded two other machines and have not had any issues with either.

Scott

Go here to create a bootable flash drive or DVD with Windows 10 on it: https://www.microsoft.​com ...ftware-download/windows10 (external link)

Depending on what stage in the process it associates your Win8 key with the upgrade, you should be able to boot from your newly created media, blow away the old partitions, and do a fresh install. It installs pretty quickly so its worth a shot before you spend the time to reload 8, then 10. Worst case, you've lost 20 minutes.

Bcaps
I was a little buzzed when I took this
Joined Jun 2003
Bay Area, CA
Jul 30, 2015 17:14 |  #20

Ugh - I'm so frustrated.

Scott

Have you tried downloading updated NIC/Wireless driver(s) from Asus?

- Dave | flickr (external link)
Nikon D810
14-24mm f/2.8 | 16-35mm F/4 | 24-70mm f/2.8 | 70-200mm f/4 | Sigma 150-600mm

virsago_mk2
577 posts
Joined Jan 2009
Perth (Australia) & Semarang (Indonesia)
Jul 30, 2015 19:47 |  #21

Just upgraded my Surface Pro 2 yesterday to Windows 10.
Everything went very smoothly, no problems during upgrade at all.

However opening some apps were a bit laggy for the first time after upgrade. Took longer than usual maybe because of the registry update or something.
Outlook 2013 especially, needs to have my profile reconfigured after the upgrade.
The Office Upload Center window for some reason does not scale to the screen DPI & looks blurry (my screen is is set at 125%).
Too bad that Cortana is still not available for Australia region yet. And Microsoft Edge does not support swipe feature, bugger.
No problems so far with Adobe apps. Photoshop, Lightroom, Illustrator, InDesign, Dreamweaver, Flash, Muse & Acrobat DC works just like before.

Overall, I'm impressed with Windows 10.
I will definitely upgrade my desktop PC Windows 7 to Windows 10 soon (once I get a new ultrawide monitor).

Gear: Here | Portfolio: Flickr (external link)

maverick75
Cream of the Crop
Joined May 2012
Riverside,California
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by maverick75.
Jul 30, 2015 19:51 |  #22

I've had it since last night, so far no issues. It runs smoother and quicker than Win 7 pro.

It kinda seems like a phone OS that was ported to a PC, odd at first, but I got used to it real quick.

- Alex Corona Sony A7, Canon 7DM2/EOS M, Mamiya 645/67
Flickr (external link) - 500px (external link) - Website (external link)- Feedback -Feedback

Naturalist
Adrift on a lonely vast sea
Joined May 2007
Tallgrass prairies of northwest Minnesota
Jul 30, 2015 20:36 |  #23

I'm wondering if DPP and LR6 will work on Windows 10 - or do I have to wait until they upgrade to work with 10???

Doug
My Gear List
http://www.douglasbrow​nsr.com (external link)
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/128037573@N07/ (external link)
Entered: 2-16-84 Passed: 5-22-84 Raised: 6-19-84

marathon
THREAD ­ STARTER
146 posts
Joined Dec 2005
Current City: Singapore
Jul 30, 2015 20:41 |  #24

Ugh - I'm so frustrated.

Scott

Uh oh... I have an ASUS laptop also. After reading your story, maybe I should wait a bit longer before upgrading...

canon 600D : canon 5D mark II : tamron 28-75mm f2.8 : mc zenitar 16mm f2.8 fisheye : canon efs 10-22mm : carl zeiss jena 35mm f2.4 : canon 50mm f1.8 : super takumar 50mm f1.4 : SMC takumar 50mm f.14 : jupiter 37A 135mm f3.5 : pentacon 200mm f4 : tamron 70-300mm VC

RHChan84
Goldmember
2,320 posts
Joined Apr 2011
Mass
Jul 30, 2015 20:46 |  #25

Naturalist wrote in post #17650686 (external link)
I'm wondering if DPP and LR6 will work on Windows 10 - or do I have to wait until they upgrade to work with 10???

I used lightroom earlier today. Ran smooth as a hot knife through butter. But in using Adobe CC and they released an updateright after I updated to Win10.

Canon (60D Gripped | 18-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS | 40mm f2.8 | 50mm f1.8 | 70-200 F4L IS| 430 EXII)
Tamron (17-50 f2.8 VC)
Feedback
Facebookexternal link

flickrexternal link

jimeuph1
215 posts
Joined Jul 2014
Jul 30, 2015 20:56 |  #26

It works. Not sure any of the new "features" are actually going to be useful. Glad to be rid of the big app home screen though.

Quick tip, if you turn off the transparent tool bars, settings, personalisation, colours, the whole system seems to be more responsive.

When I upgraded my old laptop from vista to windows 8 the speed increase was huge. No such speed upgrade going into windows 10.

mike_d
Goldmember
4,973 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Jul 30, 2015 21:03 |  #27

jimeuph1 wrote in post #17650711 (external link)
When I upgraded my old laptop from vista to windows 8 the speed increase was huge. No such speed upgrade going into windows 10.

That's because Vista was slooooow, especially on laptops. Win 7 would have been much faster than Vista. Win 8 is even lighter on resources than 7. 10 and 8 are about the same performance wise.

jimeuph1
215 posts
Joined Jul 2014
Jul 30, 2015 21:13 |  #28

Yes I figured that, but with it trying to be a cross platform OS Tablets, phones and up, I hoped they had found a way to make it even more resource friendly.

Naturalist
Joined May 2007
Jul 30, 2015 21:33 |  #29

RHChan84 wrote in post #17650697 (external link)
I used lightroom earlier today. Ran smooth as a hot knife through butter. But in using Adobe CC and they released an updateright after I updated to Win10.

Thanks. That is nice to hear.

Doug
My Gear List

Naturalist
Joined May 2007
Jul 30, 2015 21:34 |  #30

Another Question: I understand that when I upgrade to 10 that Windows Media Player will be removed.

What is a good (free) replacement for media player??

Doug
My Gear List

sponsored links

28,211 views & 6 likes for this thread
Windows 10
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.