Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers
Thread started 29 Jul 2015 (Wednesday) 20:06
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Windows 10

Bob_A
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2005
Alberta, Canada
Jul 30, 2015 22:09 as a reply to post 17650740 |  #31

Media Player was not removed. However, if you use a wide gamut monitor Media Player isn't good anyway. Media Player Classic - Home Cinema ( https://mpc-hc.org/ (external link) ) is a better "donationware" replacement where you can enable color management. I've been using it for years now as a replacement for Media Player.

Bob
SmugMug (external link) | My Gear Ratings | My POTN Gallery

sponsored links
Craig ­ H
Joined Jan 2009
Reisterstown MD
Jul 30, 2015 22:14 |  #32

Windows Media Player is still in windows 10. They got rid of Windows Media Center. I have been running it for a day. No issues yet. You may want to consider turning off the share wi fi passwords with outlook contacts, facebook friends and skype contacts. That is just my privacy preference.

7D Mark II | EF 24-105 F/4 L | EF 70-200 F/2.8 L IS II| EF-50mm F/1.4 | 580 EX II | ∑ 150-600 F/5-6.3 S | ∑ TC-1401 | ∑ 18-35 F/1.8 A | My Website (external link)

Naturalist
Adrift on a lonely vast sea
Joined May 2007
Tallgrass prairies of northwest Minnesota
Jul 30, 2015 22:29 |  #33

Thanks all!

Doug
My Gear List
http://www.douglasbrow​nsr.com (external link)
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/128037573@N07/ (external link)
Entered: 2-16-84 Passed: 5-22-84 Raised: 6-19-84

RHChan84
Goldmember
2,320 posts
Joined Apr 2011
Mass
Jul 30, 2015 23:34 |  #34

Windows has always run better with the transparent stuff off and color scheme stuff. I usually don't like it on anyways.
I actually like the new Windows Media center replacement. Their video player works great and some that never worked started to play. But I still personally like VLC.
As for audio, Foobar is simple and no fuss setup. Has equalizer settings and very customizable. Very basic plan look but works great. I love it.
For photos, their program hasnt changed much from Windows 8. You can view RAW photos on it.

Canon (60D Gripped | 18-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS | 40mm f2.8 | 50mm f1.8 | 70-200 F4L IS| 430 EXII)
Tamron (17-50 f2.8 VC)
Feedback
Facebookexternal link

flickrexternal link

EnglishBob
Joined Dec 2004
Clovis, California.
Jul 31, 2015 01:09 |  #35

marathon wrote in post #17650692 (external link)
Uh oh... I have an ASUS laptop also. After reading your story, maybe I should wait a bit longer before upgrading...

Mine is an Asus and it's been working.

Galleryexternal link MyGearexternal link About Meexternal link

RichSoansPhotos
Cream of the Crop
5,981 posts
Joined Aug 2007
London, UK
Jul 31, 2015 04:57 |  #36
banned

Not impressed with Win10 on my main desktop, that is why I am putting off upgrading my laptops to Win 10

joeseph
"smells like turd"
Joined Jan 2004
Auckland, New Zealand
Jul 31, 2015 05:09 |  #37

RichSoansPhotos wrote in post #17651044 (external link)
Not impressed with Win10 on my main desktop, that is why I am putting off upgrading my laptops to Win 10

what are you currently using for an OS?

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II converted for IR, and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

RichSoansPhotos
Cream of the Crop
5,981 posts
Joined Aug 2007
London, UK
Jul 31, 2015 05:14 |  #38
banned

joeseph wrote in post #17651050 (external link)
what are you currently using for an OS?

On my laptops Win7 x64 and Win8.1 x64 on my work laptop

scobols
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2006
Waconia, MN
Jul 31, 2015 07:54 |  #39

mike_d wrote in post #17650454 (external link)
Go here to create a bootable flash drive or DVD with Windows 10 on it: https://www.microsoft.​com ...ftware-download/windows10 (external link)

Depending on what stage in the process it associates your Win8 key with the upgrade, you should be able to boot from your newly created media, blow away the old partitions, and do a fresh install. It installs pretty quickly so its worth a shot before you spend the time to reload 8, then 10. Worst case, you've lost 20 minutes.

I have a new hard drive arriving today. I'm going to clone my drive first and then try this. I did already create the bootable flash drive from the link above. When I installed it from the flash drive I did it over the original Win10 install but didn't do a fresh install. That's what overwrote the Windows.old (Win 8.1) file so I was unable to revert. This time I'll wipe it.

Bcaps wrote in post #17650470 (external link)
Have you tried downloading updated NIC/Wireless driver(s) from Asus?

Yes, I tried that. They don't have any Windows 10 drivers yet. It's weird because both adapters show as fine/operational in device manager. There just is no networking.

BTW, I've read about a few other people having this issue and they have overcome it by reverting back to 8.1 and removing VPNs they had installed and then upgrading again. If any of you run into this problem, that may be what you need to do.

Thank you both for the advice.

Scott

www.scottbolster.comexternal link
facebookexternal link

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007
MI/CO
Jul 31, 2015 08:48 |  #40

I have a minimum use, but powerful desktop, that is use for photography/Photoshop/​surfing only...
have been told to limit the amount of personal information given during the windows 10 install.

The Cortina thing looks interesting as I was considering an Amazon Echo for Q&A sessions, anyway...
how do I limit the personal info Apps?

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43external link

EnglishBob
Joined Dec 2004
Clovis, California.
Jul 31, 2015 09:27 |  #41

RichSoansPhotos wrote in post #17651044 (external link)

I tried it the other way around... don't liek it on my laptop, so haven't risked it on my workhorse desktop.

EnglishBob
Joined Dec 2004
Clovis, California.
Jul 31, 2015 09:28 |  #42

scobols wrote in post #17651168 (external link)
BTW, I've read about a few other people having this issue and they have overcome it by reverting back to 8.1 and removing VPNs they had installed and then upgrading again. If any of you run into this problem, that may be what you need to do.

Scott

My ASUS is networking without issue, and I don't have any VPN's set up on it, so you may be right.

Archibald
You must be quackers!
Joined May 2008
Calgary
Jul 31, 2015 10:47 |  #43

EnglishBob wrote in post #17651251 (external link)
I tried it the other way around... don't liek it on my laptop, so haven't risked it on my workhorse desktop.

It would help if you guys gave reasons instead of just saying you didn't like it (or liek it).

Pentax Spotmatic F with 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 135/3.5; Canon digital gear
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK

EnglishBob
Joined Dec 2004
Clovis, California.
Jul 31, 2015 10:57 |  #44

Archibald wrote in post #17651333 (external link)
It would help if you guys gave reasons instead of just saying you didn't like it (or liek it).

It would help if you read my initial post where I gave those reasons.

To be fair I have never liked 8 or 8.1, but then I am a troglodite and hate touchscreens and tablets... I want my PC to feel like a computer rather than a tablet, and 8.1 to me changes the computer's basic function too much. 10 makes me feel more comfortable in the workflow and stream of basic windows operations, but not enough to make me jump from 7.0.

Driver issues with some of my hardware were also a factor, but they may well be sorted soon now it is on general release.

RHChan84
Goldmember
2,320 posts
Joined Apr 2011
Mass
Jul 31, 2015 13:08 |  #45

chauncey wrote in post #17651212 (external link)
The Cortina thing looks interesting as I was considering an Amazon Echo for Q&A sessions, anyway...
how do I limit the personal info Apps?

I used it when it was in the technical release but never used it after. I love my Amazon Echo. I use it for music and weather updates. I woudlnt use Cortana for that only because I would need a computer in to use it.

Canon (60D Gripped | 18-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS | 40mm f2.8 | 50mm f1.8 | 70-200 F4L IS| 430 EXII)
Tamron (17-50 f2.8 VC)
Feedback
Facebookexternal link

flickrexternal link

sponsored links

29,458 views & 6 likes for this thread
Windows 10
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.