Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions
Thread started 03 Aug 2015 (Monday) 01:59
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Should I wait for the 5d Mk4?

Steggy
Mostly Lurking
15 posts
Joined Dec 2009
Aug 03, 2015 01:59 |  #1

Hey all.

I've been torn for a bit on upgrading the body to my setup. Currently I use to crop bodies, a 60D and an SL1, with a few lenses, and then I have an RZ67/polaroid back for my film rig.

I really want to make the jump to full frame, but I'm intrigued by the 70D's film auto focus. I feel like a lot of people are a fan of it, and I have to expect that the 5D Mk4 would have this feature, would you guys think?

The release of the 6D is also intriguing, as it's a really affordable full frame body, but I feel like if I take the plunge for that, I will be kicking myself by not waiting. But I've been checking Canon Rumors etc. and haven't really seen the mention of implementing this new AF into a 5D, so is this even happening, or is this a pipe dream? I considered getting the 70D but I feel like it's such a lateral move from the 60D IQ wise.

A second thought of mine would be to just get a 6D or something and sell it once the 5D Mk4 comes out in case it has this feature, but would the resale value even make it worth it? Considering the 60D is now only worth something like 500 w/kit lens, what could be the drop off of the 6D in a year? Or would it be worth looking at a used 5Dmk2 or mk3?

All this and at the same time I window shop at used MF digitals, being tempted by CL posts like a 645AFD w/leaf aptus 2 back >_>

I feel like I'm hopeless haha.

And to sort of explain why this feature is important to me, while I love taking photos, it's a hobby. Video on the other hand is more of a profession for me, and the benefits of this AF for run and gun video is super appealing to me. Just trying to find the most cost effective way of getting everything I want in a camera haha.

sponsored links
Reservoir ­ Dog
A Band Apart
Joined Jan 2013
Out of the pack
Aug 03, 2015 03:15 |  #2

The 5DS / R does it have the video feature you're asking about ?
Because if it have the video AF why to wait the mark4 ?

150 Free online photos editing application (external link) / 100 Free Desktop Photo Editor Software (external link) / Free Photography eBooks (external link) / My photography blog (external link)

maverick75
Cream of the Crop
Joined May 2012
Riverside,California
Aug 03, 2015 03:23 |  #3

Look at all the blockbuster films, they're not using Auto focus at all.

I've had a body capable of continuous auto focus during video for 3 yeats now and I haven't used it once. Not a single time and I've owned 3 of the best STM lenses.

Some people are different but I find it completely useless. I wish Canon gave DSLRs better codecs like their cinema models, that is something we really need.

- Alex Corona Sony A7, Canon 7DM2/EOS M, Mamiya 645/67
Flickr (external link) - 500px (external link) - Website (external link)- Feedback -Feedback

Reiep
Joined Oct 2009
Orléans, France / Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Aug 03, 2015 03:46 |  #4

Rumors say that the 5DIV and the 6DII should be announced in a relatively short term (a few months). If you're not in a hurry I would wait, either to see what's new in those camera, or to enjoy price drops on the current ones ;-)a

Website (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | Gear

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Aug 03, 2015 06:37 |  #5

Steggy wrote in post #17654401 (external link)
Hey all.

I've been torn for a bit on upgrading the body to my setup. Currently I use to crop bodies, a 60D and an SL1, with a few lenses, and then I have an RZ67/polaroid back for my film rig.

I really want to make the jump to full frame, but I'm intrigued by the 70D's film auto focus. I feel like a lot of people are a fan of it, and I have to expect that the 5D Mk4 would have this feature, would you guys think?

The release of the 6D is also intriguing, as it's a really affordable full frame body, but I feel like if I take the plunge for that, I will be kicking myself by not waiting. But I've been checking Canon Rumors etc. and haven't really seen the mention of implementing this new AF into a 5D, so is this even happening, or is this a pipe dream? I considered getting the 70D but I feel like it's such a lateral move from the 60D IQ wise.

A second thought of mine would be to just get a 6D or something and sell it once the 5D Mk4 comes out in case it has this feature, but would the resale value even make it worth it? Considering the 60D is now only worth something like 500 w/kit lens, what could be the drop off of the 6D in a year? Or would it be worth looking at a used 5Dmk2 or mk3?

All this and at the same time I window shop at used MF digitals, being tempted by CL posts like a 645AFD w/leaf aptus 2 back >_>

I feel like I'm hopeless haha.

And to sort of explain why this feature is important to me, while I love taking photos, it's a hobby. Video on the other hand is more of a profession for me, and the benefits of this AF for run and gun video is super appealing to me. Just trying to find the most cost effective way of getting everything I want in a camera haha.

Heya,

If you want full frame, get a 6D now (Canon Refurb). When and if the 5DIV & 6D2 are released you feel you need to move to one of them, you can sell the 6D for maybe $200 less than you bought it for, very minimal loss, it's just like renting without the risk, then buy the new one if you need it.

If you want AF during video, get the 70D, it's that simple.

Full frame and video.... I wouldn't be too worried about trying to get a full frame that does video.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

Eastport
Joined Apr 2009
Aug 05, 2015 13:12 as a reply to MalVeauX's post |  #6

Things to know about the 6D (which I have tried for a few thousand shots):

Good in low light yes - as long as the subjects are not moving

Good in sports - yes, as long as you don't need the faster shutter speed offered by the 5D3 (4000 vs. 8000)

Good for video - yes, as long as you will not miss a headphone jack and don't mind the extra moire

Good image quality - yes, but you will quickly miss the easy to use white balance button on the 5D3.

Professional camera - sort of - but you'll miss the dual CF/SD card slot of the 5D3 and the versatility of naming custom files in camera; not 100% viewfinder, smaller LCD

Good focusing - as long as you don't mind using the center point; you'll miss the 5D3's 61 focus points vs. the 11 on the 6D.

Good w flash - well, 180 sync vs 200

The 6D drove me crazy in trying to focus in low light events with moving subjects.

But, if none of the above bother you, sure you can save $1,000 with the 6D.

Enjoy the GPS feature! (Wi-Fi though could be useful).

Steggy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
15 posts
Joined Dec 2009
Aug 16, 2015 19:14 |  #7

Reservoir Dog wrote in post #17654421 (external link)
The 5DS / R does it have the video feature you're asking about ?
Because if it have the video AF why to wait the mark4 ?

I don't believe they come equipped with the same AF as the 70D. I think what helps with the AF is the combination of the body and the STM lenses which IIRC won't work with FF

Steggy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
15 posts
Joined Dec 2009
Aug 16, 2015 19:15 as a reply to maverick75's post |  #8

For normal filming of things I do use manual focusing, but the idea for the next body would be for run n' gun filming at events where autofocus would really come in handy.

Steggy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
15 posts
Joined Dec 2009
Aug 16, 2015 19:17 as a reply to MalVeauX's post |  #9

Thanks. I ended up looking for 6D pricing, there was a great sale that I just missed out on where the refurb body was $980.

However, I'm taking advantage of the bundle deal from BH Photo where the 6D new + Pixma 100 printer = 1150 after rebate. I plan on selling the printer for hopefully 200 or more to bringd the 6d down to a great price. I'll be able to get my use out of it and sell if the 5D Mk4 has what I need :)

gossamer88
"something else"
Joined Aug 2014
NYC
Aug 16, 2015 19:29 |  #10

I recently upgraded to the 5D Mark III as the price is right, right now. The 5D Mark IV (X) will be out of my budget ($3500 body).

Canon 5D Mark IV | Tamron 70-200mm G2 | Tamron 24-70mm G2 | 50mm STM | 35mm f/2 IS | Powershot G9 X | iPhone 6s
flickr (external link)

Jimmer411
Thank god Im green.
866 posts
Joined Sep 2007
Pacific, WA
Aug 17, 2015 16:54 |  #11

I don't see a reason for canon to release a 5D4, at least not any time soon. 5DS and 5DR both seem to accomplish everything the 5D3 does and then some. The 5D3 fills a price point between the 6D and 5DS/R. I would expect to see a 5DS II and 5DR II before a 5D4.

5D3 | Sigma 30mm f/1.4 HSM | EF 85mm f/1.8 USM | EF 24-70 f/2.8L II | EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | 430EX | YN-568EX II | YN-622c | YN-622-TX |
Selling Sigma 30mm 1.4

Nathan
So boring
Joined Aug 2007
Boston
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by Nathan.
Aug 18, 2015 12:29 |  #12

Don't let intrigue distract you. In photography, the only thing worth waiting for is the moment to press the shutter button.

When it comes to your profession, make the investment early and achieve your gains sooner.

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 35 L | 50L | 85L II | 135L | 580 EX II x2

iAMB
806 posts
Joined Mar 2009
St. Louis
Aug 20, 2015 11:49 |  #13

Nathan wrote in post #17673700 (external link)
Don't let intrigue distract you. In photography, the only thing worth waiting for is the moment to press the shutter button.

When it comes to your profession, make the investment early and achieve your gains sooner.

Well said :)

Canon 6D Mark I
24-105mm F/2.8L , 70-200mm F/4L , 50mm 1.8 I, 14mm F/2.8 , Full Gear List (external link)
"I'm so far behind, it looks like I'm winning"
-Adam

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2010
West Point, Georgia
Aug 24, 2015 06:54 |  #14

Jimmer411 wrote in post #17672752 (external link)
I don't see a reason for canon to release a 5D4, at least not any time soon. 5DS and 5DR both seem to accomplish everything the 5D3 does and then some. The 5D3 fills a price point between the 6D and 5DS/R. I would expect to see a 5DS II and 5DR II before a 5D4.

The 5DS / R is a step backwards in video featureset. Video - particularly 4K - is a good reason a 5D IV announcement should be forthcoming soon. The 5DS is a specialty niche camera unappealing to most photographers. By contrast the 5D IV would continue the tradition of the 5D III as a general-use camera.

If Canon doesn't get with the 4K program soon then they'll be giving away another market. 4K done right would give the 5D IV a nice competitive edge. The a7R II does 4K, but not great in FF mode per user reviews.

David | Flickr (external link)

golfecho
(I will regret that)
1,640 posts
Joined Jan 2007
Space Coast, Florida
Sep 10, 2015 13:45 |  #15

How vested are you in other Canon "stuff" (lenses, flashes, etc). May want to look at Sony, Leica, and some of the other folks out there . . .

Facebookexternal link or Websiteexternal link

sponsored links

8,284 views & 3 likes for this thread
Should I wait for the 5d Mk4?
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.