Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 16 Aug 2015 (Sunday) 15:36
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Once in a lifetime trip to Japan - Need Camera Advice

Talley
Talley Whacker
10,086 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Dec 2011
Houston
Aug 16, 2015 15:36 |  #1

I'm taking a week long trip to Japan for business in middle of Sept. I'm having some issues trying to decide what to take in the form of a camera. I had a G7x that would do pretty good in this scenario but sold it. I have what's in my sig below and I would love to take the 5D3, my fish and maybe the 24 and 50 combo but then size/weight could be an issue.

I"m really leaning on something small. Thought about picking up a RX100III or there about.

I"ll be doing some business attire meetings for 5 days so I'll be pretty busy with meetings but would assume I'd have some time to capture some of the area's I'll be visiting.

Light?... bulk... I know this is the same scenario people ask all over and I would really love to take my gear but on a traveling standpoint I'm kinda eh on the idea of lugging any amount of equipment around. My coworker who does photo stuff is taking a Rx100 type camera with him and calling it quits.

I could just pickup a 24-105 and use it and take the 5d3 and be done w/ it.

any ideas.

5D4 |12mm 2.8 FE | 16-35L 2.8 III | Σ 35A | Σ 50A | Σ 85A | 200 F2 IS | 1.4xIII
X-T20 | X-E3 | 18/2 | 35/1.4 | 56/1.2 | 18-135
My Gear Archive

sponsored links
Talley
THREAD ­ STARTER
Talley Whacker
10,086 posts
Joined Dec 2011
Houston
Aug 16, 2015 15:37 |  #2

Another idea is buying in Japan :)

My Gear Archive

Capn ­ Jack
Joined Mar 2010
NE USA
Aug 16, 2015 16:50 |  #3

I'd do the 5D3 and 24-105 as you suggested.

I have an 18-200 lens I put on an XSi or 7D2 for trips.

Talley
THREAD ­ STARTER
Talley Whacker
10,086 posts
Joined Dec 2011
Houston
Aug 16, 2015 16:57 |  #4

Capn Jack wrote in post #17671252 (external link)
I'd do the 5D3 and 24-105 as you suggested.

I have an 18-200 lens I put on an XSi or 7D2 for trips.

Probably the only other item I'd take is the 12mm fisheye... It's my fav for keepsake.

maybe pack the 5d3, 24-105, 12mm and then also pickup another g7x or something similar to carry around all day for lunch or something.

My Gear Archive

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,359 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Aug 16, 2015 17:17 |  #5

Talley wrote in post #17671156 (external link)

Only do this with caution. We have become so competitive in the US that I have found our prices can be better than in Japan, at least that was the case when I was there about 8-10 years ago. I carried the latest edition of Popular Photography with me so I could compare prices. However, there is the oddball piece of equipment that isn't exported and that might be worth consideration. Repairs as well, I had a camera that was acting up that I once left in a shop in Kobe. I actually watched as the tech did some major disassembly, lubricated all mechanisms, cleaned the sensor and then put it all back together. It cost me less than a sensor cleaning in the states.

Check duty free at Narita as you leave and if you have a routing through Hong Kong them definitely be prepared to shop at their duty free shops.

sploo
premature adulation
2,164 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2011
West Yorkshire, UK
Aug 16, 2015 17:25 |  #6

Talley wrote in post #17671154 (external link)
I'm taking a week long trip to Japan for business in middle of Sept. I'm having some issues trying to decide what to take in the form of a camera. I had a G7x that would do pretty good in this scenario but sold it. I have what's in my sig below and I would love to take the 5D3, my fish and maybe the 24 and 50 combo but then size/weight could be an issue.

I"m really leaning on something small. Thought about picking up a RX100III or there about.

I"ll be doing some business attire meetings for 5 days so I'll be pretty busy with meetings but would assume I'd have some time to capture some of the area's I'll be visiting.

Light?... bulk... I know this is the same scenario people ask all over and I would really love to take my gear but on a traveling standpoint I'm kinda eh on the idea of lugging any amount of equipment around. My coworker who does photo stuff is taking a Rx100 type camera with him and calling it quits.

any ideas.

Depends where you're going really. I found a 5D3 + 24-70 absolutely fine for city stuff (though I took a 14mm prime once). If you're in a city, do consider a tripod as there's often great opportunity for night lights (plus Japan tends to be very safe so I've never had a problem walking round with gear at night).

Camera, some lenses, too little time, too little talent

johnf3f
Goldmember
3,682 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010
Wales
Aug 16, 2015 17:25 |  #7

Take the G7X and the 24-105. The G series is nice and compact and won't interfere with you trip. Take the 24-105 JUST in case the 1DX is actually cheaper in Japan - Heaven! Well until they bring out the Mk2!

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

MichaelSwiss
55 posts
Joined Oct 2010
Hong Kong
Aug 18, 2015 04:29 |  #8

Talley wrote in post #17671156 (external link)

Absolutely - with the devaluated Yen and the fact that you get VAT back you can get quite some deals.

I have bought various Gear in Tokyo and Osaka - am more than happy to give you a few addresses where to shop

Enjoy Japan!

Mike

1DX and some Glass

Reiep
Joined Oct 2009
Orléans, France / Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by Reiep.
Aug 18, 2015 07:13 |  #9

I'm just coming back from Japan :p

If you're going to Tokyo you'll need the widest lens possible, for example your Tamron 15-30, with a camera with great low light capacity. It's the only way to get the best of the incredible city lights. For the other cities, a 24mm lens will be enough (Kyoto, Osaka, Hiroshima...). For example during the almost 3 weeks I've been there around 80% of my shots were done under 35mm, and almost all the rest at 70mm (I had my 24-70II and the Samyang 14). So from your existing gear I'd take the 15-30 and the 85.

As for buying over there, I spend a couple of hours at Yodabashi in Akihabara and went out empty handed, as the price difference is not that high from what I can find in Europe while warranty issues may appear. It's however a great experience as ALL the cameras and lenses are available to test (inclusive the most expensive ones).

Have fun, Japan is one of the very best country for a photographer (and overall I'd say).

Website (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | Gear

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
13,457 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Aug 18, 2015 08:07 |  #10

12 fe + 24-105 + 5d3

Do you even tripod bro?

Personally, I would take a 70-300 as well. If renting an option, the Tamron 28-300 pzd looks pretty good, along with fe and 50art would be preferred. I would travel with a long lens regardless of various opinions.

For my last international trip, I packed 14, 40/1.4, 100/2, 24-70/4, 100-300/5.6, tripod. I have gear to use it, not to leave at home.

Sony A7r - A7ii - A7rii - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - FE 35/2.8 - CV 35/1.7 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CY 35-70, 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8, 24/1.4

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by MalVeauX.
Aug 18, 2015 17:23 |  #11

Heya,

Japan is one of those places you can actually walk around with a big camera and stuff and it's not all that weird. Since everything is super weird there. Heh heh.

That said, smaller is more fun if you want to not lug stuff around.

If it were me, I'd just take my EOS-M with a wide prime, or wide to mid-range zoom.

Otherwise, I'd take a cheap APS-C and wide zoom. Lighter weight. Smaller. Still does great images.

When I looked at your sig, I immediately thought about the 70D + Tamron 15-30 F2.8 as a travel setup, good focal range (on APS-C) as it goes from wide to normal view, spending nothing, keeping a faster aperture than F4 if you need it (no lights), modern VC, etc. Plus you can do fun video decently with it if you needed to. I'd do this over a 24-105 F4 I think (why buy that?).

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

Reiep
Joined Oct 2009
Orléans, France / Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Aug 19, 2015 05:15 |  #12

Charlie wrote in post #17673404 (external link)
Personally, I would take a 70-300 as well.

For Japan, except if you go in the wild or want to do a lot of portraiture, forget it. I've done 52 shots in total in 3 weeks with the 70-200, with an average of 400 shots/day. I agree on your last sentence, but that's typically the kind of destination you don't need absolutely everything.

Same for the tripod: I've had mine almost all the time with me, but its usage is restricted almost everywhere in order to do not bother the public. So bye bye long exposure cityscapes from the top of the skyscrapers :cry:

Website (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | Gear

Talley
THREAD ­ STARTER
Talley Whacker
10,086 posts
Joined Dec 2011
Houston
Aug 19, 2015 06:51 |  #13

Reiep wrote in post #17674688 (external link)
For Japan, except if you go in the wild or want to do a lot of portraiture, forget it. I've done 52 shots in total in 3 weeks with the 70-200, with an average of 400 shots/day. I agree on your last sentence, but that's typically the kind of destination you don't need absolutely everything.

Same for the tripod: I've had mine almost all the time with me, but its usage is restricted almost everywhere in order to do not bother the public. So bye bye long exposure cityscapes from the top of the skyscrapers :cry:

That was my thinking. I'd take the 5D3 for better low light.... pick up another 24-105 for IS so I can handhold in the 24-50mm to around 1/10 pretty easy and I'd be taking cityscapes so nothing important for having heavy 2.8 glass. I will throw in the 12mm just to have a fun lens too.

So ya, I think the 5d3/24-105/12 and maybe.... maybe throw in my 24A for some 1.4 capability. Ya I'm pretty sure this is the way to go.

Honestly... I never use the 15-30 as it's one heavy brick. I think I'll swap it out for the 16-35 F4 IS

My Gear Archive

Xyclopx
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2008
San Jose, CA
Aug 19, 2015 20:12 |  #14

Talley wrote in post #17671154 (external link)

any ideas.

so, i was there in 2013 for about 10 days. here are my observations:

1. it rained 1/2 the time. i went in May, so I dunno if it matters now, but weather sealed would be good (my 5d3 + 24-105 was great in the rain)
2. shops HATE you taking pictures in them. bigger stores you can get away with it, but the small places DESPISE you if they see you take a picture in their store. that said, i didn't care and took the pics, and got yelled out, but that was that. so, less conspicuous cameras might let you get more pics in those situations.
3. and adding to #2 people in general hate you taking pics of them. they almost always will look away immediately if they see you with a camera. so again, if street photography is your thing, not being seen with a camera is key. yeah, in america some people are camera shy too, but the japanese take it to a whole other level.
4. there will be lots of old folks with tons of nikon cameras. and i mean, tons on one person, ha ha. they really dig their cameras there. anyway, just gonna say that, though it doesn't matter.
5. for sight seeing, there will be many times you're inside of cramped areas, yet are surrounded 360 degrees, including straight up, with cool stuff. so, if you don't got an ultra wide for those situations, you're gonna kick yourself.
6. as for photography in temples and museums, typically there will be areas that cameras are not allowed at all (usually where the good stuff is.) but there will usually be areas for tourists to have some fun photographing for memories.

i personally brought a lot everywhere i went: 1) 5d3, 2) 24-105, 3) 70-300L, 4) 16-35 f2.8 ii, 5) art 35, 6) 600ex flash, 7) tripod. all of it got used.

i think the dream kit for japan would be a sony a7x + wide, standard, tele, and a big aperture prime. that will let you get everything.

some pics from my trip (i didn't even look through all the pictures yet!):

http://pics.xyclopx.co​m/japan/2013 (external link)

Dean Chiang (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear (external link)
My Photos (external link)
Instagram @xyclopx (external link) @feetandeyes (external link) @gastramour (external link)

Xyclopx
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2008
San Jose, CA
Aug 19, 2015 20:22 |  #15

Reiep wrote in post #17674688 (external link)

my opinion: sorry...... but i respectfully but completely disagree on all points.

1. i used my 70-300L a lot. there are many times you will be standing very far away from said castle or temple because of a moat or lake or whatever. you're gonna really want a long lens.

2. as for not needing everything--again, this is THE place to need everything. you got all the variety of home, but all packed into a relatively small island(s). there's no greater need than everything. unless you are restricting your travel to just specific things. you got the castles far away with moats. you got skyscrapers. you got inside temples. you got night life. hot springs. dancing. etc. ......every photographic situation possible.

3. and yes, i even used my tripod from the top of a tall temple. on the ledge. did a 180deg panorama. worked the shot there for 1hr. and it was absolutely packed too, with hundreds of people smashed in.

Dean Chiang (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear (external link)
My Photos (external link)
Instagram @xyclopx (external link) @feetandeyes (external link) @gastramour (external link)

sponsored links

4,274 views & 2 likes for this thread
Once in a lifetime trip to Japan - Need Camera Advice
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.