Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk
Thread started 02 Jul 2015 (Thursday) 08:49
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Guests posting photos before yours...does it bother you?

panicatnabisco
Joined Apr 2012
san francisco, CA
Aug 19, 2015 10:59 |  #31

A reasonable explanation is she did that as her wedding gift to the b&g. I don't think she set out to one up anyone just because she's a 'guest with a camera', that's like the bartender getting mad at the guy that brought a flask to share with the groomsmen. If you're confident with your skills, no guest should able to get near the quality of photos as yours. Uncle Bobs are here to stay and you will get someone hunching over your shoulder during formals; it should be a given already. A lowly P&S or a rebel with a kit lens with a pop-up flash shouldn't even be worth worrying about.

Canon 1DX | 6D | 16-35/2.8II | 24/1.4II | 24-70/2.8II | 24-105 | 50/1.8 | 50/1.2 | 70-200/2.8 IS II | 85/1.2II | 100/2.8 IS macro | 400/2.8 IS | 2xIII
Leica M8.2 | Noctilux 50 f/1 | Elmarit 90/2.8 Cinema BMD Ursa Mini 4k
afimages.net (external link) | Facebook (external link) | flickr (external link)

sponsored links
mike_311
Checking squirrels nuts
Joined Mar 2011
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by mike_311.
Aug 20, 2015 11:48 |  #32

memoriesoftomorrow wrote in post #17674941 (external link)
I've had weddings where guests have taken pics and they've been printed by the time the reception started before. It's no big deal. Like guests taking pictures is no big deal. I don't get why so many photographers get so upset about it.

Personally I don't care what others are doing. The only pictures I have an interest in are the ones I take.

it doesnt bother me for the most part, i actually like to shoot the guests shooting the bridge/groom, it provides a nice fun variety and teh b/g usually like the shots.

what i cant stand is when these people stand in front of my lights to take their cellphone pic and block the light. It never fails that during the first dance when i'm trying to get that great rim lighting, someone is standing in front of the light i need.

Canon 5d mkii | Tamron 24-70/2.8 | Canon 85/1.8 | Canon 135/2L
Olympus EPL7 | Panasonic 20/1.7 | Olympus 45/1.8
www.michaelalestraphot​ography.com (external link)
Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | About me

BlakeC
THREAD ­ STARTER
"Dad was a meat cutter"
Joined Jul 2014
West Michigan, USA
Aug 20, 2015 12:15 |  #33

mike_311 wrote in post #17676436 (external link)
what i cant stand is when these people stand in front of my lights to take their cellphone pic and block the light. It never fails that during the first dance when i'm trying to get that great rim lighting, someone is standing in front of the light i need.

I've been considering adding off camera lights but this is one of my concerns. That is probably a discussion for another thread though...

Blake C
BlakeC-Photography.com (external link)
Follow Me on Facebook (external link) , Instagram (external link), or Google+ (external link)
80D |70D | SL1 - Σ 18-35 1.8 ART, Σ 50-100 1.8 ART, Σ 17-50 2.8, Canon 24 2.8 Pancake, Canon 50 1.8 STM, Canon 10-18 STM

scobols
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2006
Waconia, MN
Aug 20, 2015 12:48 |  #34

Here's a screenshot form a pic someone posted before mine compared to mine:

IMAGE: http://www.scottbolster.com/potn/difference.jpg

There is such a big difference that it just doesn't bother me. I know the B & G want to see photos right away so I say go ahead and post.

Scott

www.scottbolster.comexternal link
facebookexternal link

DThriller
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2011
Rhode Island
Aug 20, 2015 12:54 as a reply to scobols's post |  #35

Did you post the same photo twice? I don't get it? and you say the first photo was posted on Facebook that evening… so obviously thats the better picture!

http://www.facebook.co​m/DPhillipsStudios (external link)
http://DPhillipsStudio​s.com (external link)

BlakeC
THREAD ­ STARTER
"Dad was a meat cutter"
Joined Jul 2014
West Michigan, USA
Aug 20, 2015 12:55 |  #36

scobols wrote in post #17676526 (external link)
Here's a screenshot form a pic someone posted before mine compared to mine:

QUOTED IMAGE

There is such a big difference that it just doesn't bother me. I know the B & G want to see photos right away so I say go ahead and post.

Scott

I dunno...their background has the nice water in it and part of a swing. lol

Thanks for contributing a photo! These are fun to see! Maybe we should start a thread of "Guests with cameras photos vs the paid photog" Or maybe post them here and a mod can move this to photo sharing?!

Blake C
BlakeC-Photography.com (external link)
Follow Me on Facebook (external link) , Instagram (external link), or Google+ (external link)
80D |70D | SL1 - Σ 18-35 1.8 ART, Σ 50-100 1.8 ART, Σ 17-50 2.8, Canon 24 2.8 Pancake, Canon 50 1.8 STM, Canon 10-18 STM

scobols
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2006
Waconia, MN
Aug 20, 2015 12:57 |  #37

DThriller wrote in post #17676533 (external link)
Did you post the same photo twice? I don't get it? and you say the first photo was posted on Facebook that evening… so obviously thats the better picture!

The top photo is from a guest who posted it on Facebook right after the wedding. The bottom photo is mine, delivered with all of the photos approx. three weeks after the wedding.

facebookexternal link

DThriller
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2011
Rhode Island
Aug 20, 2015 13:09 as a reply to scobols's post |  #38

I was doing a thing

jokes are hard in text

But seriously really awesome shot. Do you shoot all the formals with that off camera light setup? Id love you see what your setup is.

scobols
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2006
Waconia, MN
Aug 20, 2015 13:27 |  #39

Oops, I missed the sarsasm :oops:

Yes, for outdoor formals I always use off camera lighting. The bridesmaids were all worried about being in full sun but we told them not to worry.

I don't have a photo of this particular setup but I use a single Einstein and Vagabond Mini shooting into a Buff 64" Soft Silver PLM. I used a .9 ND filter on the 70-200 to get my shutter speed down to 1/200. The light is triggered with a Radio Popper Jr2 trigger and the Radio Popper Einstein receiver.

Thank you,
Scott

facebookexternal link

mike_311
Checking squirrels nuts
Joined Mar 2011
Aug 20, 2015 13:43 as a reply to scobols's post |  #40

softbox cover or bare PLM?

Canon 5d mkii | Tamron 24-70/2.8 | Canon 85/1.8 | Canon 135/2L
Olympus EPL7 | Panasonic 20/1.7 | Olympus 45/1.8
www.michaelalestraphot​ography.com (external link)
Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | About me

scobols
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2006
Waconia, MN
Aug 20, 2015 13:45 as a reply to mike_311's post |  #41

Bare PLM. I generally use the covers on my Extreme Silver PLMs but I don't ever use them on the Soft Silver PLMs.

facebookexternal link

DThriller
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2011
Rhode Island
Aug 20, 2015 14:05 |  #42

Very good thanks

picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
8,552 posts
Joined Jan 2006
Alberta, CANADA
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by picturecrazy.
Aug 20, 2015 16:29 |  #43

How about making a business based on being hired as a "guest with camera"?

http://mostvaluablegue​st.com/ (external link)

This just takes the uncle bob thing right to the next level. More like, the next 5 levels up.

-Lloyd
The BOUDOIR - Edmonton Intimate Boudoir Photographyexternal link
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Studio Family Baby Child Maternity Wedding Photographersexternal link
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Headshot Photographersexternal link
Facebookexternal link | Twitterexternal link |Instagramexternal link | Gear

DThriller
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2011
Rhode Island
Aug 20, 2015 16:48 as a reply to picturecrazy's post |  #44

I like how it's written like he is this unsung hero.

It's like hey dude... If they asked you to do that fine but really...

"snap candids while you are taking portraits with your photographer"

What normal people think are candids arnt at all. I'm sure the "someone else" pic that scobols posted was seen as a candid and doing anything that slows the photographer down during formals is why b and gs don't get to go to cocktail hour.

"I will be there for your sparkler send-off after your photographer is long gone!"

If the b and g wanted that captured properly they would have the photographer do it. Also good luck making the sparkler shot look good with you popup flash bozo.

"I will set up a shared photo stream and drop all your photos..."

All! Which means no culling out the shot you were leaning back in your chair where you look 50lbs heavier or the awkward dance shots where your face is contorted! Yay my hero!

agrandexpression
446 posts
Joined Apr 2015
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by agrandexpression.
Aug 20, 2015 20:14 |  #45

DThriller wrote in post #17676782 (external link)
I like how it's written like he is this unsung hero.

Actually, from the "My Wedding Page"...it's a she.

Actually...I wouldn't be surprised if this is really more about attracting attention to her own wedding day with all the heavy linking.

I'd think if she was remotely serious about offering this service...she'd have a sample photo, or even a fake sample photo or two. This feels more like...oh, I have your attention now? Look at MY WEDDING...

DThriller wrote in post #17676782 (external link)
Also good luck making the sparkler shot look good with you popup flash bozo.

I think that's generous assuming she'd be using anything with a popup flash. I'm betting iPhone. Maybe iPad, but probably iPhone.

I'm half tempted to email and play this thing out to see if it's even legit. The site was set up this month, the link posted here has probably given it the majority of it's traffic.

sponsored links

6,863 views & 11 likes for this thread
Guests posting photos before yours...does it bother you?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.