Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 12 Aug 2015 (Wednesday) 15:46
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Is a Canon 1D Mk2 a step up from a 1Dc

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
11,622 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Traryd, Sweden
Aug 17, 2015 09:07 |  #16

Yes, we are.

But the main purpose of a forum like this one is to reduce confusion among its members. To introduce a different designation for an existing camera, and then even a designation that's already used by Canon for a different camera, isn't likely to reduce the level of confusion.

Back to the question: I've not had any of these, since I didn't bother getting a 1D-series camera until the 1DX came around, but form what I've read the 1D Mark IIn should have quite some improvements on user interface and handling, doesn't it? Not that I know if it's worth it compared to a 7D Mark II or so, but the cost for the 1D Mark II generation is perhaps really low these days?

Anders

sponsored links
LonelyBoy
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2014
Aug 18, 2015 17:18 |  #17

There is no confusion, at all. The protests are groundless.

Vice President of the No-Talent Gear Head club
SL1 | 24 STM | 18-135 IS STM | 55-250 IS STM
5D3 | 35/2 IS | 40 STM | Σ50A | 50 STM | 100L | 24-70L 2.8 II | 24-105L | 70-200/2.8L IS II | 70-300L | 100-400L II

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
11,622 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Traryd, Sweden
Aug 20, 2015 14:31 |  #18

If you think so, you're confused already.

But nevermind, everybody reading this thread now should understand that the title references the 1D, not the 1DC.

Anders

LincsRP
Joined Mar 2007
Lincolnshire,UK
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by LincsRP.
Aug 20, 2015 14:58 |  #19

I have the 1D, the 1Dmk2, 1Dsmk2, 1Dmk2N and I loved the mk2 so much I bought another, this time second hand 1Dmk2 from the guy who sold me the mk1 in the first place.

The mk2 has always been my favorite, the feel, the speed of focus, exposure accuracy and if the battery is charged the night before it would do a wedding on one charge - 10 hours if needed.

I do have mk4's and a 1DX but the mk2's were my favoured kit. They're still here on the shelf and I'm not selling - they still work great . In fact I did a wedding with the 1Dn and 1Ds2 even tho I had bought a 1Dmk4 because I felt more confident in the focussing ability.

The great thing about them is, if they do eventually fail they become a damn good sledgehammer or very nice doorstop ... :-D

Steve
www.lincsracephotos.co​.ukexternal link

Paul ­ Hendren
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Aug 2015
Toronto
Aug 20, 2015 19:00 as a reply to LincsRP's post |  #20

My big debate is now the Mk 2 or digging deeper for a Mk 3. I shoot basketball and soccer so I will be at the mercy of higher ISO. Any suggestions?

"Promoting Athletic Faces and Sporting Places"

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
28,912 posts
Joined Dec 2006
Aug 20, 2015 19:26 as a reply to Paul Hendren's post |  #21

Yes 7D2.

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by MalVeauX.
Aug 20, 2015 23:49 |  #22

Paul Hendren wrote in post #17676910 (external link)
My big debate is now the Mk 2 or digging deeper for a Mk 3. I shoot basketball and soccer so I will be at the mercy of higher ISO. Any suggestions?

Depends,

Indoors, you're still in trouble. Indoor sports like that can often require ISO as high as 12,800 as F2.8 just to maintain enough speed on the shutter to stop most motion. These old cameras simply won't get you there.

If you're outside, you can get away with ISO 400~800, depending on conditions (in your favor) or maxed out at 1600 & 3200 if it's a little over cast. This is assuming a F2.8 lens.

The MK3 is not that much better than the MK2 for it's cost (it's triple). If you're digging into the cost of the MK3, you might as well get a 7D (mkI). The MK3 is going to hit ISO 3200, and the MK2 can hit 3200 at it's extended point. The MK3 will hit 6400 as it's extended point. You're gaining 1 stop of potential ISO use, but it's extended, it's not like it's really great ISO performance at that point. For the relative cost of the MK3, I would just stay with the MK2 or save and move on to a different series in general. The MK2 is a steal of a deal these days as it often can be had at $200 basically. The MK3 does gain a wee bit more in FPS, but do you really do full 10FPS bursts? The MK3 seems to hover at $650 average these days. You get +2 FPS, +1 stop ISO and +2 MP resolution for three times the price. At the same time, for $450, you can get a 7D with more ISO and resolution. Just a thought when it comes to cost.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link) :: Canon 135L For Sale | Canon 17-40L For Sale | Canon 50mm STM For Sale | YN622C-TX & YN622C x 2 For Sale

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,719 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Post has been last edited over 2 years ago by CyberDyneSystems. 2 edits done in total.
Aug 21, 2015 00:04 |  #23

If you can swing a 1D3, it's really worth it. the menu structure and controls, the VASTLY superior battery life will be a blessing for sure.
Coming from 1D classic, you will be blown away by the color and DR of the 14 bit per channel RAW files.

1D3 will be a BIG leap forward from the 1Dc, where as the 1D2 will pretty much feel like the same camera, with a a minor bump in image quality, and battery life.
I did not really notice a huge jump in AF performance 1D2 vs the 1Dc,. IQ and shots per charge were the biggies.

Anyway, we've been calling it the 1D classic on this forum since, well about 2005, long before the 1D Cinema was launched,. and frankly I don't think we ever see the Cinema cameras mentioned in the EOS forum.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Paul ­ Hendren
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Aug 2015
Toronto
Aug 21, 2015 03:20 as a reply to MalVeauX's post |  #24

I''m a 7d owner right now but not overly pleased with it as other than build quality it never surpassed my 2ti in picture quality for indoor sports. I feel that both my 7d and 2ti were doing the same things. A change to the 1 series is a different path but indeed high ISO noise is a concern in low lit HS gyms

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
28,912 posts
Joined Dec 2006
Aug 21, 2015 08:53 |  #25

Paul Hendren wrote in post #17677279 (external link)
I''m a 7d owner right now but not overly pleased with it as other than build quality it never surpassed my 2ti in picture quality for indoor sports. I feel that both my 7d and 2ti were doing the same things. A change to the 1 series is a different path but indeed high ISO noise is a concern in low lit HS gyms

You may find that issue continues regardless of body due to vapor lighting in most HS gyms. Its not simply noise but the issues of of color accuracy and cycling from lights that dont provide a ful color spectrum.

MalVeauX
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Aug 21, 2015 14:12 |  #26

Paul Hendren wrote in post #17677279 (external link)

True,

The T2i/T3i/T4i etc, all generally have a similar if not the same sensor as the 7D. But, you can easily do ISO 6400 and ISO 12,800 on the 7D if necessary, (see Teamspeed's guide on 7D high ISO shooting) while having 18MP and 8 FPS. I forgot you already have the 7D, I was bringing it up because it's so inexpensive now on the used market around $450 commonly. Those stats at that price is pretty much a steal for someone looking to do action in general.

For me, shooting my 1D mkII I've come to realize a few things.

1. I'm ok with low resolution (8MP), but it really does help to have extra MP to crop away stuff for composition or when you're already at maximum reach. After a long time, I'm starting to actually want more resolution again, but nothing crazy, 13~18MP seems to be plenty for what I do in general. I do love working the smaller files, they copy so fast, load so fast, hah. TL;DR, More resolution is actually nicer, for cropping.

2. My action shooting begins at ISO 800 even in good light generally, as I keep my shutter very fast (birds). ISO 800~1600 is normal and every day for me in decent light. This is the maximum on my 1D mkII. It's ok at it. I actually don't mind it's noise pattern (I generally over expose on purpose to deal with noise in post), but my bigger limit is the ISO limit itself. I would rather have ISO 6400 or higher, as an option, and use ISO 1600, because it will be cleaner. I guess I'm just wanting a slightly more modern sensor. I don't feel I need ISO 3200 or ISO 6400 for actual use, as I rarely shoot this camera in anything but out-door sun, or over-cast days. I'm not shooting night or indoor sports, where I know I would want faster glass and ISO 12,800 as an option right away. For now, my worst case scenario is low light under the canopy of trees shooting, which is very low light, but I'm ok with a gimbal & low shutter for that to avoid maximum ISO (perched birding). But in heavy over-cast low light, I'm generally living at ISO1600. This often has me wanting a 7D or something with higher ISO ability, while keeping the same fast FPS (8) and a little more resolution for cropping (18MP). TL;DR, Higher ISO capability is a big deal on action cameras really.

3. 8FPS, 10FPS, etc, really doesn't matter to me so much. It would matter to me if I were shooting sports where I want that perfect position in a frame series. But I don't do sports. Even in wildlife, birding, etc, one might do a full series like that just to get the right position or look. I personally don't. I like the really fast FPS because I can take my series of 3 or 4 shots in a burst in less than a second. Most of the moments I'm shooting are about that. Less than a second. So having a few chances in there is good. And I'm not wasting 1000+ shutter actuations per outting to do it (for me, I'm not getting paid to do this). It's why I went to the 1D mkII actually. For $250, you get a fast camera that is durable with decent low resolution and decent lower ISO use for cheap. But I could live with a camera that is only 6~7 FPS really. TL;DR, I could live with lower FPS.

These days, I'm considering a 7D from my 1D mkII for a lot of these reasons and because it's inexpensive.

I looked at potentially moving to a 1Ds II, but I lose the FPS speed big time (4 FPS!). I'm ok with slower FPS, but that's too slow. The ISO is the same. All I'm gaining is resolution and losing crop factor (but gaining resolution so I don't mind that). The cost is too prohibitive though, again, a 7D simply does it better in general. As for image quality, I find them neck and neck with good post processing. But the cost just put me off big time.

So then I looked at 1DIII & 1Ds III, and while they have improvements all over, they're not much better than the 1D2 series, even though I really like the idea of the 1Ds III. But again, cost just really turns it off. At that price point, I start to realize how close I am to a used 7D2 and that seals the deal there.

For now, I rest at the 1D mkII until I cave...

I think overall, for where you're going in direction, it would be good to go ahead and just spring for a 7D2 or 1DIV depending on overall needs.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link) :: Canon 135L For Sale | Canon 17-40L For Sale | Canon 50mm STM For Sale | YN622C-TX & YN622C x 2 For Sale

Paul ­ Hendren
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Aug 2015
Toronto
Aug 21, 2015 15:52 as a reply to MalVeauX's post |  #27

I have read this post twice as it is loaded with information. Another twist is that I may retain my 7d and get a Mrk 2 through the sale of a lens

MalVeauX
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Aug 21, 2015 15:56 |  #28

Paul Hendren wrote in post #17677913 (external link)
I have read this post twice as it is loaded with information. Another twist is that I may retain my 7d and get a Mrk 2 through the sale of a lens

I'm always flirting with a 7D versus the 1D2. It seems to waffle both ways. Both are inexpensive now, truly inexpensive, yet powerful relavent cameras. So really can't go wrong either way. One is inexpensive, more durable, and has that APS-H sensor look and big pixel sites. The other has more ISO capability, more resolution, better screen (vastly!), more options (MFA!) that really sell it to the modern shooter.

I've been fortunate that everything has been spot on and correct with my old 1DmkII. If I had to adjust a single lens I would have sold the camera.

Very best,

Paul ­ Hendren
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Aug 2015
Toronto
Aug 21, 2015 16:21 as a reply to MalVeauX's post |  #29

And I meant to say thank you!

urbanfreestyle
I am a squirrel who loves rubbing bottles and I have Nuts in my drawers, too!
Joined Dec 2013
Exeter, Devon
Aug 21, 2015 16:33 as a reply to Paul Hendren's post |  #30

I loved my 1DIIN, it was an awesome camera, I only sold it in order to get money toward my new lens for my 1DIII

Facebook (external link)
Sony @6000 | Sony 18-105 f4 G Series | Sony 16 f2.8 | Helios 44/m | Pentacon 135mm f2.8 | Yongnuo 560EX II | Manfrotto 055CX PRO3 | 3LT Mohawk ballhead | Lubitel 2 med format camera | Zenit EM 35mm camera |

sponsored links

4,660 views & 4 likes for this thread
Is a Canon 1D Mk2 a step up from a 1Dc
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.