Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife
Thread started 20 Aug 2015 (Thursday) 22:17
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

South Africa: 2 weeks = 4 lodges and 3 reserves

JoeMcBroom
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Aug 2015
Aug 23, 2015 09:08 |  #31

The next few day at Jaci's Lodge was a blast with the staff.... as for the routine, It was the same everyday..... They would knock on your door at 5:30 every morning, so you can be at the lodge lobby for coffee/tea, fresh fruit, fresh juice, cereal, homemade bread and jams.... it was considered to them as a "pre-breakfast snack. We would head out in the Land rovers for game drives at 6:30 and stay out until around 10:00, where we would come back to a huge breakfast waiting for us on the deck/balcony of the Lodge. After the feast we would rest, load pictures, meet up and talk about images, camera settings, and do whatever we wanted until 3 PM, where we meet at the lodge to eat a snack again in preparation for a 3:30 departure for an evening game drive, which always includes "sun downers"....which is any place we stop somewhere in the bush, watch the sun go down as they provide us snack and "adult cocktails" after sun downers, we would get back in the Land Rovers and continue to track game until 7ish. when we arrived back at the lodge the staff was always there to greet you and tell you where dinner is going to be served.....Dinner was served at a different unique, outdoor setting every night, but always included white table clothes, Linen napkins, candlelight, great conversion, and fantastic service. they went out of their way to make sure it was beautiful and unique every night.

So in pictures day 4, 5, and half of 6 looked like this

The first two are two very unique Kalahari lions.... you can tell they are Kalahari lions by their beautiful black manes

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

sponsored links
JoeMcBroom
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Aug 2015
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by JoeMcBroom.
Aug 23, 2015 09:12 |  #32

The first image is of a backlit Kudu.....they are beautiful, huge and delicious!

For the second image, Who knew that a unicorn really had two horns instead of one???? Our guide tells us the this beautiful animal is closely related to the horse family.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

JoeMcBroom
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Aug 2015
Aug 23, 2015 09:20 |  #33

This was the start of a "Oh crap moment".....We were just sitting in the Land rover watching the elephants when this Ellie (which had a baby with her) walked up to the vehicle within a few feet and just starred us down for about 5 minutes.... everyone in the vehicle just froze and the guide said do not move a muscle..... she really did not need to tell us that....because we were already frozen.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

JoeMcBroom
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Aug 2015
Aug 23, 2015 09:22 |  #34

The Ellie as she decided to walk away....and the curious baby

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

JoeMcBroom
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Aug 2015
Aug 23, 2015 09:25 |  #35

The first image is of a Lilac Breasted Roller. I am a huge "birder" but this has to be the prettiest bird I have ever seen in all my years shooting birds..... God must have had some extra time on his hands when he put this one together.
The second image is self explanatory.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

IShootThings
I thought I was special.......
2,029 posts
Joined May 2009
North Cali
Aug 23, 2015 09:36 |  #36

Awesome work so far. Love the lions, even the sleeping ones.

Canon 5D3, Canon XTI (IR converted), 24-70 f2.8L, 16-35 f4L, 50 1.4, 70-200 f2.8L, 100 2.8 macro, 430 ex & 580 exII speedlights.

LisaBlue85
Joined Aug 2012
New Jersey
Aug 23, 2015 09:51 |  #37

Wow! Amazing! Some day...

JoeMcBroom
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Aug 2015
Post has been last edited over 2 years ago by JoeMcBroom. 2 edits done in total.
Aug 23, 2015 10:52 |  #38

This first image is of a HUGE lonesome bull and was shot after sundowns....it was DARK out....ISO 5000, f/2.8, 300mm, 1/50th of a second, handheld.

the second is a highly feared Cape Buffalo .... they are part of the "Big Five" and highly respected by the guides....they are dangerous and temperamental.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

JoeMcBroom
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Aug 2015
Aug 23, 2015 11:04 |  #39

The first image is of course a zebra.....but the main reason I am sharing it is to show you how red the dirt is in the part of Africa......It has so much iron in it it is actually magnetic...compasses with not work and you can pick up the rocks with a magnet.
The second image is a small cape buffalo stampede.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

i-G12
Wat?
1,387 posts
Joined Feb 2011
Seattle, WA
Aug 23, 2015 11:14 |  #40

JoeMcBroom wrote in post #17679642 (external link)
The first image is of a backlit Kudu.....they are beautiful, huge and delicious!

thumbnailHosted photo: posted by JoeMcBroom in
./showthread.php?p=176​79642&i=i120936660
forum: Wildlife

OK @Joe... please explain this lighting situation. -?

JoeMcBroom
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Aug 2015
Aug 23, 2015 11:24 |  #41

i-G12 wrote in post #17679772 (external link)
OK @Joe... please explain this lighting situation. -?

We were shooting directly into the sun.....it was very late in the evening and I purposely way underexposed the image to achieve "rim light"....this was the effect that I was going after...and I agree that it is a "acquired taste" type effect....

I have already sold several large prints of this image..... but I agree....it is different

ptcanon3ti
Cream of the Crop
Joined Sep 2012
Gloucester Co. NJ
Aug 23, 2015 11:37 |  #42

in! :)

Paul
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/petshots/ (external link)
Body - Nikon D750
Lenses - Nikon 20 f1.8 / Nikon 16-35 f4 / Sigma 105 OS Macro / Sigma 24-105 f4 Art / Tamron 70-200 2.8 Di VC / Sigma 150-600 "S"

JoeMcBroom
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Aug 2015
Post has been last edited over 2 years ago by JoeMcBroom. 2 edits done in total.
Aug 23, 2015 11:40 |  #43

A leopard trying to get to some warthogs.... again a very high ISO Image 12,800 ISO

HOSTED PHOTO

JoeMcBroom
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Aug 2015
Aug 23, 2015 13:58 |  #44

buddy4344 wrote in post #17679545 (external link)
Each chalet is slightly different based on terrain. All face a creek and generally all are at ground level for the bathroom and by the time one gets to the entrance/front, the porch is an elevated deck. While side walls are canvas, the bathroom area is concreted walls. The entire chalet has a concrete floor except the wooden deck in front. also the front doorway is a traditional wooden doorway/door.

Let's not forget to mention that it is a heated concrete floor which is very very nice on chilly mornings :-)

JoeMcBroom
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Aug 2015
Aug 23, 2015 14:49 |  #45

a couple coversions

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

sponsored links

40,030 views & 177 likes for this thread
South Africa: 2 weeks = 4 lodges and 3 reserves
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.