Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Underwater Photography Talk
Thread started 14 Sep 2011 (Wednesday) 11:01
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

decent underwater camera?

uwphotoguy
31 posts
Joined Oct 2014
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by uwphotoguy.
Jan 04, 2015 19:35 |  #16

My advice is to grab a Go Pro for a couple of hundred and call it a day. They come in a water proof case that's good to 200 feet (60 meters) and shoots 12 mp stills at up to 30 fps in addition to great video. Do a little googling and you will see some impressive results. No need for a red filter as the Go Pro software (easy to use) allows you to custom white balance in post. The only down side is its basically a fixed focal length fisheye. But that is a "good thing" underwater. Zoom with your feet (errr... fins). You can get macro and other accessories up the wazoo from places like www.backscatter.comexternal link or www.reefphotovideo.comexternal link. I keep one attached to my housed SLR so I have video running while I take photos.
If you want to go P&S. I would advise that you get one that shoots in raw and allows manual control. Read up on underwater photography or take a course and practice topside. You can't see the lettering on the camera buttons when it's in the housing. You don't need to go new - a used Canon s100 with Canon or Ikelite housing will do fine. Look around the classifieds here for some good deals and reputable forum members www.wetpixel.comexternal link Keep in mind that you can easily spend a bunch if you want to bring our own light - strobes, focus or video lights. BTW - I am a dive instructor and teach underwater photography, so if ya have any questions, ask away plus there are a number of great folks/resources here.

sponsored links
draderusa
317 posts
Joined Dec 2012
Missouri, US
Jan 08, 2015 18:40 |  #17

icassell wrote in post #17311449external link
It might be a bit over your budget, but I bought an Olympus TG-3 for my recent trip to the Galapagos after my Lumix failed. The Olympus was great. Excellent images and easy to use underwater. It also has the advantage over several other underwater P&S cameras in that it is rated to 50 ft. The mistake I made was buying a third-party spare battery. The Olympus battery lasts quite a while -- the spare died quickly even on a full charge. The camera also works great out of water.

^^^^YES!

As a diehard Canon fan it was hard for me to purchase an Olympus TG-2 for my trip to Hawaii last May. As it turned out it was one of the best camera purchases I've made recently. I got stunning underwater photos while snorkeling and the camera performed flawlessly. The TG-2 has been replaced by the TG-3 but they are very similar. It is way smaller than a P&S in a waterproof case. Easily pocketable, and takes decent pics above the water as well. As icassell stated they are good down to 50 feet as is. Olympus also makes a polycarbonate external housing for it that extends the maximum depth down to 150 feet.

Dave
EOS 7D Mark II, EOS T4i -- EFS 18-135 STM, EFS 10-22 USM, EF 40 f2.8 STM, EF 50 f1.4, 600EX-RT (3), YN-E3-RT, AD-360, FT16 (2), YN560II, YN622C (4), YN622C-TX

Paul ­ S
585 posts
Joined Jan 2008
New England
Jan 20, 2015 12:36 |  #18

I'm a long time Cannon User of 1D mark 3 & 4 bodys......I really wanted to get a underwater housing but the cost was prohibited for hobby use . .....So I went with this camera and housing , Strobes and it does and pretty good job.. http://www.getolympus.​com ...digitalcameras/e-pl5.html (external link)

Before that purchase I had a go pro 3....Camera OK but not what I was looking for http://www.getolympus.​com ...digitalcameras/e-pl5.html (external link)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Profile / Maxprepsexternal link external link

calypsob
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2012
Roanoke Virginia
Jan 26, 2015 14:47 |  #19

Here is a nice used under water case for the rebel http://www.ebay.com ...ain_0&hash=item27ee​baecddexternal link

Wes
-----------
flickr (external link)
Gear: Many gears Yes.

cicopo
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2007
Ottawa, Ont, Canada
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by cicopo.
Jan 26, 2015 16:33 |  #20

Beautiful shot Paul. I think it would be a very good idea in this thread to always mention whether one is shopping for a shallow water use camera (as in for snorkeling) vs one for diving.

I'm pretty sure that Ebay sale is for a FILM version of Rebel.

A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought.

yeamans17
Joined May 2007
Simsbury, CT
May 29, 2015 21:45 |  #21

uwphotoguy wrote in post #17366354external link
My advice is to grab a Go Pro for a couple of hundred and call it a day. They come in a water proof case that's good to 200 feet (60 meters) and shoots 12 mp stills at up to 30 fps in addition to great video. Do a little googling and you will see some impressive results. No need for a red filter as the Go Pro software (easy to use) allows you to custom white balance in post. The only down side is its basically a fixed focal length fisheye. But that is a "good thing" underwater. Zoom with your feet (errr... fins).

Came here to say this, you can pick up a grip with a shutter release for it too so its easier to hold.

Pinetart
56 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Jun 10, 2015 21:23 |  #22

I'm happy with my canon D20

IMAGE: http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2869/11081128735_9096c6e04c_z.jpg

escapeartist
297 posts
Joined Nov 2009
Playa Del Rey, California
Jun 17, 2015 10:25 |  #23

For $200 it's going to be tough. If you enjoy video as well, you can get a GoPro. If you're snorkeling above the 2 meter mark then it will be bright enough and you won't lose much color or contrast (which happens as you descend in the water column).

You could also look for an older compact camera in housing, however the GoPro could deliver better image quality these days... actually some pretty incredible snorkeling images coming from GoPro the last couple years. I actually just put together a tutorial on screengrabs from GoPro video.

if you can, get the Hero4 Silver since it has a screen built-in. Good luck!

www.BrentDurand.com (external link)
on Instagram (external link)

WildImages
Joined Jul 2009
Aug 25, 2015 06:08 |  #24

In June of 2014, dpReview had a P&S underwater camera roundup featuring four cameras. That review can be found here:

http://www.dpreview.co​m ...waterproof-camera-roundup (external link)

Subsequently they reviewed the Olympus TG4 and gave it a gold award. You can find this review on the same website under reviews. It is a current review meaning in the recent past.

Good luck!

sponsored links

12,061 views & 0 likes for this thread
decent underwater camera?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Underwater Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.