Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Underwater Photography Talk
Thread started 03 Jun 2015 (Wednesday) 06:42
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

New to diving

neilwood32
Cream of the Crop
6,231 posts
Joined Sep 2007
Sitting atop the castle, Edinburgh, Scotland
Jun 03, 2015 06:42 |  #1

I realise this might be slightly cheeky as it is not currently related to underwater photography but might be in the future.

I am considering taking an OW Diver course in the summer and wonder if anyone has any suggestions as to where might be a good place (thinking quality of course, cost and underwater scenery).

Once qualified I am tempted to buy a housing for my compact G12 (realise it won't be great but it's a start)

Having a camera makes you no more a photographer than having a hammer and some nails makes you a carpenter - Claude Adams
Keep calm and carry a camera!
My Gear

sponsored links
Michhiker28
36 posts
Joined Jun 2014
Jun 13, 2015 20:54 |  #2

Best advice, if you hadn't started diving yet is to spend the time and interview instructors. There are a couple of different agencies that certify open water divers...PADI and SSI being the big two and while there are some slight differences they aren't as big as some would have you believe. Either will get you qualified to blow bubbles locally or in an exotic local; dive boats, resorts, and rental companies will recognize either card equally. What are not the same are the instructors. Some courses are very formulated...show up for the next two weeks, stay awake, don't kill yourself or anyone else and we will issue you a card. Some are quick. I have a mate that got an open water card in three days. My initial instructor told me if I was worried about how long it would take to go to someone else to learn to dive. He would issue my card when he was comfortable that I understood the principles, could repeatedly demonstrate the skills, and was comfortable in open water. I probably burned twice as many cylinders of air as some and more than most, but that was what I was looking for in an instructor. I wanted to be sure I "got it". But that's me. Be honest about what you want from the course, then look for an instructor that will provide that experience. Remember, it is quite literally, your life.

2 x Canon 7D gripped | Canon EF-S 10-22, EF-S 24 f/2.8 STM, 24-105L f4, 28-135 IS, 50/1.8 II, 50/1.4, 200/2.8L II, 70-200L f/4, | Canon 2 x Speedlite 430EX II

Decostanza
Joined May 2014
Indiana
Jun 15, 2015 15:33 |  #3

Michhiker,
Sounds like you had a pretty good instructor as too many people seem to be all about how quickly they can get certified and some agencies are all too accommodating.

Neilwood32,
Michhiker gives you some pretty good insight...talk to several instructors and see what kind of "vibe" you get from them. Ask them about what kind of dives they do for fun...or is the only diving they do for teaching classes...their answer will give you even more insight as you should look for one that does dives beyond Open Water classes. once you start down this path. the biggest advice I can give you is be patient with yourself...and have fun. Then once you have a solid foundation of dive skills and can maintain your buoyancy, then get into the photography side of things. The reason I say that is once you have your foundation dialed in, you won't spook the fish being all over the place, you won't bounce off the coral and kill it and you will have more fun as you won't be stressing over the task loading of diving / photography.

Careful though...diving as well as photography are two VERY addictive activities...

Best regards,
Don

cicopo
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2007
Ottawa, Ont, Canada
Jun 16, 2015 21:56 |  #4

I'm a seasoned diver & still shoot a G9 underwater so you're all set camera wise AND rookies shouldn't be concentrating on their photography until they've mastered buoyancy but you can do some with a P & S as you advance. Join Scubaboard & do some research on instruction in your area. Here's the link for the British Isles section.

http://www.scubaboard.​com/forums/british-isles/ (external link)

As a very old & long time water person who has seen a lot of people who really didn't get good instruction, many others who did, and everything in between it really comes down to being comfortable in the water, knowing there are fish there, and that you can't control the current & must deal with it or surface because you're in charge of your safety whether certified or just swimming with a snorkel in your mouth. Divers learn at different rates, but need to be comfortable with their instructor & in the water.

A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought.

escapeartist
297 posts
Joined Nov 2009
Playa Del Rey, California
Jun 17, 2015 10:18 |  #5

Hey Neilwood,

You can also try looking for local dive clubs and groups. They will have great recommendations near you. If diving locally, you will probably need a thick wetsuit or drysuit, so you could also look into doing the classwork at home and then the ocean training somewhere warmer - your call. Also, the G12 is awesome underwater, especially for macro!

www.BrentDurand.com (external link)
on Instagram (external link)

neilwood32
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,231 posts
Joined Sep 2007
Sitting atop the castle, Edinburgh, Scotland
Sep 01, 2015 07:30 |  #6

Well did my OW course and loved it. What people said about a good instructor was so true.

The instructor was quite young but was quite happy to spend time going over anything I had issues with - which was great as I was struggling a bit with maintaining a hover while in the pool. We spent quite a bit of time on it, I still wasn't getting it so he stopped the session, said to go have a break and we can come back in an hour once you have cleared your head a bit (think he realised I was pretty much "task overloaded". Took a break, had a bite to eat , went back in and it had become near perfect (gone from yo-yo over 2m to maintaining depth within a foot).

Got all my skills done by OW dive 3 so the last one was pretty much a leisure dive (except me planning it). Great sights underwater but I think carrying a camera would have been too much this soon.

BTW thanks for the link to Scubaboard - now joined it and posting on the forum. Starting to look at my diving gear list (which in on a par with photography for cost!)

Having a camera makes you no more a photographer than having a hammer and some nails makes you a carpenter - Claude Adams
Keep calm and carry a camera!
My Gear

sponsored links

2,473 views & 1 like for this thread
New to diving
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Underwater Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.