Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Food Photography & Visual Recipes
Thread started 29 Jan 2015 (Thursday) 07:53
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Cooked and photographed in your home kitchen ...

Lupo-Lobo
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2013
Texas
Aug 28, 2015 04:15 |  #121

Another go at a Hatch Green Chile Cheeseburger -

Hatch chiles sauteed with garlic
Tillamook Pepper Jack Cheese
Grass Fed /Grass Finished Angus Beef

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Lupo

sponsored links
Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
THREAD ­ STARTER
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Aug 28, 2015 08:52 |  #122

i like that look a lot better. Mid tones might be a touch washed out and i'm wondering if you did some kind of blur around the edges? fries on the left and right look a little odd.

good exposure and the styling is spot on.

here's a frittata from last week. I usually add more than just 'taters but that's what I had. The second was way front focused so i just cropped in a bunch and over sharpened the frittata.

BC (before cheese)

HOSTED PHOTO

AD (after dairy)

HOSTED PHOTO

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
THREAD ­ STARTER
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by Left Handed Brisket.
Aug 28, 2015 09:02 |  #123

Lupo-Lobo wrote in post #17680342 (external link)
That's a nice looking dish, looks like a nice way to start the day or end the day. I have only made polenta a couple times and prepared it similar to how I make grits. Looks like you might have used the "cake" form, I need to try that.

yup. 3:1 ratio, cook while whisking for 15-20 minutes depending on energy level and tolerance for pain in your forearms, add hot water as necessary to maintain the right consistency.

quickly pour into sheet pan and shake to level. The key is to make it just thick enough that you can level it and it will still set up good. If it is too thick I have had to wet my hands and try to smooth it out which works okay, but can make it look worse if you're not careful. It will set even before it cools to room temp.

I add plenty of butter and a bit of salt and pepper while cooking. Often add garlic powder and thyme too. Once it is set i either fry it up in a pan to get a little crust or just pop it in the toaster oven if i'm feeling lazy. I cook 2 cups of polenta because it stores beautifully, just make sure to put a paper towel in the bottom of the storage container so it doesn't get soggy. for some reason it seeps out water while sitting.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

PhotosGuy
74,824 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Feb 2004
Middle of Michigan
Aug 28, 2015 09:04 |  #124

Lupo-Lobo wrote in post #17686038 (external link)
Another go at a Hatch Green Chile Cheeseburger -

Hatch chiles sauteed with garlic
Tillamook Pepper Jack Cheese
Grass Fed /Grass Finished Angus Beef

thumbnailHosted photo: posted by Lupo-Lobo in
./showthread.php?p=176​86038&i=i42268565
forum: Food Photography & Visual Recipes

The polenta one above looks good to me, but as was said, this one looks way too low contrast/density. I do like the way you picked up the highlights in the meat & cheese.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.

Lupo-Lobo
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2013
Texas
Aug 28, 2015 17:01 |  #125

Thanks guys. I feel like I am struggling with this kind of thing lately, it happens from time to time. Too many distractions perhaps.

That frittata looks quite nice, makes me want to try one out. Looks like a well seasoned cast iron pan, every home should have one :-)

Lupo

Lupo-Lobo
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2013
Texas
Aug 29, 2015 02:17 |  #126

Having trouble getting the background blown out ... but then again, I am using a single light source.

HOSTED PHOTO

Lupo

OhLook
Spiderwoman
15,173 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Joined Dec 2012
California: SF Bay Area
Aug 29, 2015 10:07 |  #127

Lupo-Lobo wrote in post #17687227 (external link)
Having trouble getting the background blown out ... but then again, I am using a single light source.

Why blow out the background? The food looked more tempting when it was darker and had more evidence of contours. Lightening the whole picture sacrifices the subject's three-dimensionality.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS FOR YOU: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.) | IMAGE EDITING OK

Lupo-Lobo
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2013
Texas
Aug 29, 2015 11:22 as a reply to OhLook's post |  #128

Thanks for your viewpoint OhLook - I appreciate it.

Lupo

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
THREAD ­ STARTER
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by Left Handed Brisket.
Aug 30, 2015 07:24 |  #129

lupo. are you a photoshop user?

use of the pen tool to create a mask around the top part of the burger and plate would be how I would go about changing the background on that shot. Just pushing the whole thing has hurt the look of the food, especially the huge blown out spot on the bun. FWIW I like the lack of blur. If you want to de-emphasize an area, selectively using the manual blur tool on a few key edges might give the look you are after.

before you posted that last version i was actually drawing a comparison in my mind between your style of lighter backgrounds and what i have been able to achieve with the window and relatively dark environs of my dining room. I didn't come to any conclusions really, except my thinking is that the black cast iron creates a similar negative space as your white(ish) backgrounds. Also that the lighter style seems to be in vogue lately.

I think you would benefit greatly from buying a couple of pieces of white foam core to help you achieve the style you are looking for. you might want one to sit the plate on, and one to prop up behind it. I have bought a couple of yards of patterned fabric that I have been messing around with. Having shopped 3 or 4 fabric stores lately, I've been kind of amazed at not only the hube variety of patterns and fabrics but how cheap they are. The samples I have bought have been 4-7 bucks a yard (36"x 48" although the second dimension can vary) and 2-3 yards is plenty. The fabric store ladies are always very helpful, although that might be because i have the look of a deer in the headlights.

OhLook
Spiderwoman
15,173 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Joined Dec 2012
California: SF Bay Area
Aug 30, 2015 09:56 |  #130

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #17688466 (external link)
Having shopped 3 or 4 fabric stores lately, I've been kind of amazed at not only the hube variety of patterns and fabrics but how cheap they are. The samples I have bought have been 4-7 bucks a yard (36"x 48" although the second dimension can vary) and 2-3 yards is plenty.

At those prices, I'm guessing you've picked from the remnants bin. For people who don't sew: the short lengths left over at the ends of bolts are called remnants, and they're sold at large discounts.

Hardware stores also have materials to use for backgrounds.
http://photography-on-the.net ...p?p=16973620&i=i185​017037

http://photography-on-the.net ...hp?p=16978100&i=i33​210814

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS FOR YOU: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.) | IMAGE EDITING OK

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
THREAD ­ STARTER
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Aug 30, 2015 12:13 |  #131

haven't come across the remanent bin yet but will definitely keep an eye out for it. We have one fabric store and one craft store with a ton of fabric, it seems that if one doesn't have something that works and is on sale, i can just drive across the road (literally) and the other will.

i like the way that stamped metal turned out for a background, the shadow behind it is just right to give it a "hmm, what is that exactly" look.

Lupo-Lobo
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2013
Texas
Aug 31, 2015 00:23 as a reply to Left Handed Brisket's post |  #132

Thanks Brisket - I am more of a photoshop "attempter" :oops: I was actually using foam core on this last one ... just didn't have enough quality light to handle the entire scene. Simple mistakes on set tend to make bigger mistakes in post production - at least lighting wise. Lighting is a weak spot for me - I needed to admit that ... which is why I tend to fall back on natural lighting with food. However, natural lighting can be very limiting at times. Anyway, thanks for the input, it is well received.

Lupo

jobv2
561 posts
Joined Jun 2011
new jersey
Sep 04, 2015 13:40 |  #133

This might be my go - to thread. I like to cook although i am no chef. I still don't have my camera but I hope to start shooting this weekend when I get an old cam to shoot with.

Patiently waiting for my cam....and im hungry looking through this fantastic thread

1D Mark iin, 35mm f/2, 50mm f/1.4, 70-200mm f/4, 580ex ii, android, two left feet
gear| feedback
:cool:

cbadie
Joined Dec 2011
Peoria, AZ
Sep 05, 2015 22:10 as a reply to jobv2's post |  #134

Seared ahi tuna and risotto (was yummy), and this time I actually took the time to setup a reasonable photo.

HOSTED PHOTO

Clark
Canon 7D, Tokina 12-24, Canon 24-105L, 50mm 1.8, Canon 70-200 2.8L
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/clarkbadie/sets​/external link
http://photo.net/photo​s/clarkbadieexternal link

tcphoto1
Joined Sep 2005
Madison, Ga
Sep 06, 2015 19:00 |  #135

Roasted acorn squash with pomegranate seeds.

HOSTED PHOTO

www.tonyclarkphoto.comexternal link
www.tcphoto.orgexternal link

sponsored links

93,864 views & 707 likes for this thread
Cooked and photographed in your home kitchen ...
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Food Photography & Visual Recipes

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.