Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support
Thread started 09 Sep 2015 (Wednesday) 21:08
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

RRS BH-40 or Kirk BH-3: Any Reason for one over the other?

imsellingmyfoot
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2011
Dallas, TX
Sep 09, 2015 21:08 |  #1

I'm in the market for a new tripod and ball head. I've decided on Feisol CT-3401 legs. I'm undecided on my ballhead. I'm between the Really Right Stuff BH-40 LR with the RRS L-Plate and the Kirk BH-3 and Kirk L-Plate.

My equipment is a 6D. Primarily a Sigma 35 Art. Biggest lens I own is a 70-200 f/4. I do cityscapes and landscapes and night stuff (long exposures).

I've done all the research, read all the reviews, etc. I'm kinda starting to see these two setups as six one way, half a dozen the other. There's about a $100 price difference with RRS being more expensive. Is there any reason to choose one over the other?

Canon 6D | Sigma 24A | Sigma 35A | Canon 50 f/1.8 | Canon 70-200 f/4
Check out Welcome to Downtown Plano (external link), a time lapse video I created.
BLOG (external link)| INSTAGRAM (external link) | flickr (external link) | Buy/Sell Feedback

sponsored links
sawsedge
Joined Dec 2011
United States
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by sawsedge.
Sep 09, 2015 21:33 |  #2

Both are good, no issues there. I think it is more a matter of ergonomics, assuming you aren't worried about the price difference. I am partial to the RRS lever clamps though. Kirk uses a strong loctite on their heads and it is a pain to change them.

I had the Kirk BH-1 for 11 years without a single issue. I changed to the Arca-Swiss Z1 for a slightly smaller, lighter head with better friction control. The Kirk was every bit as strong and smooth though.

Not to muddy the waters, but have you looked at Sirui? They seem to be just as good at a much lower price.

FLM is another very interesting option. Check out the CB-38 or CB-43. You can add the clamp of your choice to the FLM heads. If I'd known about FLM before I got the Z1, I believe I'd have an FLM.

Edit: A friend has an Acratech ballhead. Excellent option there too, but pricey.

- John

imsellingmyfoot
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2011
Dallas, TX
Sep 10, 2015 08:27 |  #3

sawsedge wrote in post #17701619 (external link)
Not to muddy the waters, but have you looked at Sirui? They seem to be just as good at a much lower price.

FLM is another very interesting option. Check out the CB-38 or CB-43. You can add the clamp of your choice to the FLM heads. If I'd known about FLM before I got the Z1, I believe I'd have an FLM.

Edit: A friend has an Acratech ballhead. Excellent option there too, but pricey.

I didn't really see any Sirui stuff that I liked when I looked. I've never heard of FLM. They're a little pricey though - their setup comes out to more than my RRS setup.

Check out Welcome to Downtown Plano (external link), a time lapse video I created.
BLOG (external link)| INSTAGRAM (external link) | flickr (external link) | Buy/Sell Feedback

blanex1
790 posts
Joined Nov 2012
Sep 10, 2015 10:40 as a reply to imsellingmyfoot's post |  #4

well if the BH-40 is any thing like my RR BH-55 is!you can't go vary bad,i have had mine for about three years now and its vary well built strong if not a bit heavy though,but i almost ended up getting the kirk BH-3 just because its been around for a longer time,and both seem vary soild,if your going to be traveling with you tripod set up i would just get the kirk because of the weight savings!and if you can save $100.doing it !the more power to you,please let us no witch you end up getting.

canon 7d bg-e7 5d-mk3 1d-mk3 24-105-L 17-40 L 35/1.4 85/1.8 yougnuo 565 ex 580 ex and lots of other canon stuff.canon 70-200 2.8 L

sawsedge
Joined Dec 2011
United States
Post has been last edited over 2 years ago by sawsedge. 2 edits done in total.
Sep 10, 2015 20:26 |  #5

imsellingmyfoot wrote in post #17702034 (external link)
I didn't really see any Sirui stuff that I liked when I looked. I've never heard of FLM. They're a little pricey though - their setup comes out to more than my RRS setup.

What am I missing? The FLM CB-38 is $180 sans quick-release clamp. Add a $105 RRS lever clamp and it is still cheaper than the BH-40. The RRS BH-40, sans clamp, is $295. With lever release, the BH-40 is $375. http://www.reallyright​stuff.com/Shop/BH-40-Mid-Size-Ballhead/ (external link)

If I understand correctly, the FLM lever release clamp isn't a standard size, so I'd stick with RRS for the clamp.

Edit: And, no matter what you choose, I don't think you'll be making a mistake.

Another edit: Looking at the smaller RRS lever clamp, it doesn't have a threaded hole. You'd need a different clamp to sit on the 3/8"-16 stud on the FLM. So, it is easier to buy head and clamp from one maker, together.

- John

The ­ Limey
Joined Jan 2006
On my way to Wigan Pier
Sep 10, 2015 21:22 |  #6

I've had the BH forty since about 2006 not heavily used but like it very much,it's good for me as I don't need the heavier 55.

7D,20D,1V.
24-105L.
17-85.4EF-S,50.1.4.

imsellingmyfoot
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2011
Dallas, TX
Sep 10, 2015 21:55 |  #7

sawsedge wrote in post #17702839 (external link)
What am I missing? The FLM CB-38 is $180 sans quick-release clamp. Add a $105 RRS lever clamp and it is still cheaper than the BH-40. The RRS BH-40, sans clamp, is $295. With lever release, the BH-40 is $375. http://www.reallyright​stuff.com/Shop/BH-40-Mid-Size-Ballhead/ (external link)

Maybe I'm missing something. The CB-38 sans QR shows up as $299 on B&H for me. If I can get it for $180 then I'll entertain that.

sawsedge
Joined Dec 2011
United States
Sep 10, 2015 22:13 as a reply to imsellingmyfoot's post |  #8

Here is the cheaper FLM. I guess you were looking at the fancier FTR model.

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com ...w&is=REG&m=Y&A=deta​ils&Q= (external link)

- John

imsellingmyfoot
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2011
Dallas, TX
Sep 11, 2015 08:35 as a reply to sawsedge's post |  #9

Ah it's on B&H's website as "Centerball 38" instead of "CB-38." That's why I couldn't find it.

peter_n
Goldmember
2,358 posts
Joined Apr 2010
Boston, MA
Sep 14, 2015 08:30 |  #10

Tough choice between the RRS & Kirk. I would lean to the RRS just because of the self-adjusting lever clamp that comes with it which is excellent. OTOH I really don't like the ball locking knob on that ballhead, I've used a ratcheting lever design on another ballhead and much prefer a large round knob for locking the ball like on their BH-55. Just my personal ergonomic preference.

The FLM that John suggested is a good choice (the 38F rather than the 38FT or 38FTR). I've seen their ballheads and they're extremely well made, as good as the Linhof I used for many years. You would need to make sure that that the ball stem is tapped at 3/8"-16 so you can screw a clamp directly onto the top of the stem. My Linhof was like that, I just unscrewed its round base and fitted an Arca-Swiss type clamp to the head. That ballhead was bulletproof.

If that works out get the RRS B2-LR II clamp that has a threaded 3/8"-16 center hole and you should be all set. I've gone through a lot of heads and mainly because of where I live and experience with some heads failing in bad weather I've ended up with mostly Acratech heads. You don't have that issue but you should be confident that if you go the route of an FLM head with a RRS clamp it'll be a durable rig.

~Peter

imsellingmyfoot
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2011
Dallas, TX
Sep 16, 2015 14:42 |  #11

Is it appropriate to throw the Markins Q3i into the mix with the RRS BH-40 and Kirk BH-3?

I'm thinking about going the budget-ish route and getting a Sirui K-30X and using the price difference to get the filters I want without completely hating my wallet.

Guto
42 posts
Joined Sep 2008
Sep 16, 2015 16:16 |  #12

I have a Kirk BH-3, outstanding.

2 X Canon 6D | 16-35 f/4 L IS | 24-105 f/4 L IS | 40 f/2.8 | 50 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/4 L IS | Extension Tube EF 25 II | 600 EX-RT | ST-E3 |

imsellingmyfoot
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2011
Dallas, TX
Sep 17, 2015 13:34 |  #13

Picked up a Sirui K-30X off Amazon. I'll see how I like it. I went this route because the price difference lets me pick up a LEE holder, adapter ring, and Big Stopper.

Dermit
Goldmember
1,814 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2005
Chandler, Arizona
Sep 17, 2015 14:53 |  #14

I own the RRS BH-55 and love it. No complaints. Very high quality.

5DmkII, 5DmkIII, 5DS R, 15mm, 16-35 f/2.8 II L, 100 Macro f/2.8 L, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS, 85 f/1.8, 580EX II, 580EX, 550EX
http://www.pixelcraftp​hoto.com (external link)

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
Joined May 2011
Gainesville, Florida
Sep 17, 2015 14:57 |  #15

Dermit wrote in post #17711344 (external link)
I own the RRS BH-55 and love it. No complaints. Very high quality.

I have quite a bit of RRS gear now. I have to say, without exception, every product has been a joy to use. They aren't the least expensive option out there, but I haven't regretted any of my purchases from them.

Put it this way. I'm on my third camera body since I got my first RRS tripod and ball head. I'm old enough that I don't anticipate ever having to replace any of my RRS gear unless it gets stolen.... it's that good.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1D IV | 6Dc | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS |100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition

sponsored links

2,270 views & 2 likes for this thread
RRS BH-40 or Kirk BH-3: Any Reason for one over the other?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.