My two favorite shots from my kid's (#5) first time playing and my first time shooting a soccer game (u8), last Saturday. These were with the 1dIII and 70-200II. Need to work on backgrounds and looking for those moments where you get player's face and the ball on the same frame.
Was definitely limited in length when the action was on the other half of the field. Any thoughts on:
1) bring the 2x TC. I am ok with the AF, but don't like f/5.6 on the short end and don't like the idea of taking it off and on.
2) bring 50d as second body, with...
a) 16-300. I've had decent luck with it at 5k's, will give me nice range, but will not get the same keeper rate (slow lens and AF) compared to the 1d
b) 300 f/4 IS or the 400 f/5.6. AF and IQ better than 2a, but stuck with a single focal length, but on the second body.
3) sell one of 2b and pick up...
a) second 1dIII >>> a newer 1.6 crop and use it with the other 2b lens
b) 150-600 variant
4) sell both of 2b and just get the 100-400II
5) sell even more stuff and get a Sony a7 variant, but more for non-soccer reasons.
For now, I am going to just take the 50d with 400 next Sat, since I already have and am comfortable with the combination.