Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera
Thread started 22 Sep 2015 (Tuesday) 09:27
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

6D vs 7D Mark II

STP03BlueSi
Joined Jun 2007
STP, FL
Sep 22, 2015 09:27 |  #1

So Best Buy (Precision Camera) decided to super glue and mess up my 6D mode dial... Which destroyed it..good going.

I loved the features of the 6D, wifi, and FF..But the amount they gave me the 7D MK2 would be no extra out of pocket for that body..

I shoot motorsports, automotive, and landscape.

2 years ago I had the 7D and went to the 6D after BB(again) wouldn't fix the shutter as it had over 350k clicks.

What would be the pros and cons?

Brut-Photography.com
Facebook (external link) Brut_Photography - Instagram
"I have photographed cars you have used in Forza"
Canon 7D MKii

sponsored links
GeoKras1989
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2014
Sep 22, 2015 10:22 |  #2
banned

Nothing in what you shoot suggests the need for a 7D2. I'd get another 6D, said the 6D fan.

WARNING: I often dispense advice in fields I know little about!

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
Joined Oct 2012
Bowie, MD
Sep 22, 2015 11:35 |  #3

GeoKras1989 wrote in post #17717295 (external link)
Nothing in what you shoot suggests the need for a 7D2. I'd get another 6D, said the 6D fan.

+1. You definitely don't need an amazing AF system for motorsport imo, and the FF sensor is definitely better for automotive and landscape photography.

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T // XF 18mm f2 // XF 35mm f1.4 // XF 60mm f2.4 // Rokinon 12mm f2 // Rokinon 21mm f1.4 // XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 // XF 55-200mm f3.5-4.8 // Rokinon 85mm f1.4 // Zhonghi Lensturbo ii // Various adapted MF lenses
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)

Copidosoma
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2009
Edmonton AB, Canada
Sep 22, 2015 11:36 |  #4

AF system on the 7D is pretty amazing. I'm still trying to wrap my head around it for what I do. Quite a bit improved over the original. For motorsports it is probably substantially more capable (I don't shoot motorsports). The center point on the 6D is great but you can't really compare the AF performance of the two cameras. Just totally different tools.

6D wins for image noise. So, if you regularly find yourself above iso 1600 and are sensitive to noise, the 6D will probably make you happier. If you are comfy with dealing with noise in post, 7DII files should clean up really well.

So I'd say:

7D motorsports.
6D automotive (I assume this is static stuff) and landscape.

Having said that, if you want the camera that does all of them "best", I'd say the 7DII. No reason why you can't do landscapes and automotive with APS-c.

Gear: 7DII | 6D | Fuji X100s |Sigma 24A, 50A, 150-600C |24-105L |Samyang 14 2.8|Tamron 90mm f2.8 |and some other stuff
http://www.shutterstoc​k.com/g/copidosoma (external link)
https://500px.com/chri​s_kolaczan (external link)

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
Joined Oct 2012
Bowie, MD
Sep 22, 2015 11:38 |  #5

Copidosoma wrote in post #17717398 (external link)
AF system on the 7D is pretty amazing. I'm still trying to wrap my head around it for what I do. Quite a bit improved over the original. For motorsports it is probably substantially more capable (I don't shoot motorsports). The center point on the 6D is great but you can't really compare the AF performance of the two cameras. Just totally different tools.

6D wins for image noise. So, if you regularly find yourself above iso 1600 and are sensitive to noise, the 6D will probably make you happier. If you are comfy with dealing with noise in post, 7DII files should clean up really well.

So I'd say:

7D motorsports.

Having said that, if you want the camera that does all of them "best", I'd say the 7DII. No reason why you can't do landscapes and automotive with APS-c.

Also no reason you can't do motorsport with the 6D ;)

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T // XF 18mm f2 // XF 35mm f1.4 // XF 60mm f2.4 // Rokinon 12mm f2 // Rokinon 21mm f1.4 // XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 // XF 55-200mm f3.5-4.8 // Rokinon 85mm f1.4 // Zhonghi Lensturbo ii // Various adapted MF lenses

Copidosoma
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2009
Edmonton AB, Canada
Sep 22, 2015 11:48 |  #6

EverydayGetaway wrote in post #17717404 (external link)
Also no reason you can't do motorsport with the 6D ;)

Totally true but I do think the AF system in the 7DII provides a significant advantage. Nothing wrong with the 6D's center point (not to say that the others aren't functional, just not exactly amazing) but I don't think you can really compare the two. Just as far as viewfinder coverage and number of AF points the 7DII is pretty far ahead.

But, like I said, I don't do motorsports. Maybe it is alot more controlled and predictable than I imagine.

Gear: 7DII | 6D | Fuji X100s |Sigma 24A, 50A, 150-600C |24-105L |Samyang 14 2.8|Tamron 90mm f2.8 |and some other stuff
http://www.shutterstoc​k.com/g/copidosoma (external link)
https://500px.com/chri​s_kolaczan (external link)

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
Joined Oct 2012
Bowie, MD
Sep 22, 2015 11:53 |  #7

Copidosoma wrote in post #17717418 (external link)
Totally true but I do think the AF system in the 7DII provides a significant advantage. Nothing wrong with the 6D's center point (not to say that the others aren't functional, just not exactly amazing) but I don't think you can really compare the two. Just as far as viewfinder coverage and number of AF points the 7DII is pretty far ahead.

But, like I said, I don't do motorsports. Maybe it is alot more controlled and predictable than I imagine.

I mean, motorsports is a pretty broad term, but generally speaking in motorsport you're shooting at fairly large subjects (cars) that can certainly be moving fast, but not fast enough to the point that you couldn't accurately track them with the center point of the 6D.

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Sep 22, 2015 11:56 |  #8

STP03BlueSi wrote in post #17717246 (external link)
So Best Buy (Precision Camera) decided to super glue and mess up my 6D mode dial... Which destroyed it..good going.

I loved the features of the 6D, wifi, and FF..But the amount they gave me the 7D MK2 would be no extra out of pocket for that body..

I shoot motorsports, automotive, and landscape.

2 years ago I had the 7D and went to the 6D after BB(again) wouldn't fix the shutter as it had over 350k clicks.

What would be the pros and cons?

Honestly there's no advantage either way that I can truly think of that is super obvious. Each has a compromise for something.

I think it just comes down to features. See what your priorities are for features and that will answer your question.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
Joined Oct 2012
Bowie, MD
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by EverydayGetaway.
Sep 22, 2015 12:01 |  #9

MalVeauX wrote in post #17717424 (external link)
Honestly there's no advantage either way that I can truly think of that is super obvious. Each has a compromise for something.

I think it just comes down to features. See what your priorities are for features and that will answer your question.

Very best,

This is true to an extent.

Honestly, (at risk of being labeled a fanboy) I would take a serious look at the a7 lineup. The small form factor, lens adaptability, focus peaking and most importantly the flip LCD screen are very useful when doing automotive and landscape work and there's honestly no reason that even the a7R's AF system wouldn't be able to cope with most types of motorsport. After shooting with the a7S for half a year now I don't think I could ever go back to a camera without some form of an articulating screen.

Here's an example of the advantage of a flip screen when shooting automotive work (I don't claim to be anywhere near an expert with automotive, I only shoot a couple of car events each year), the camera was basically on the ground for this shot. Done with the Rokinon 85mm (shame on me for not stopping it down just a bit more... like I said, not claiming to be an expert at automotive, just know what works for me)

IMAGE: https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8761/18327081152_80fda51df2_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/tVv5​HN] (external link)DSC03445.jpg (external link) by Lucas Graenicher (external link), on Flickr

STP03BlueSi
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2007
STP, FL
Sep 22, 2015 12:32 |  #10

This is what I mostly cover. Besides the Indy race in St. Pete

IMAGE: https://brut-photography.smugmug.com/2015-Automotive/Racing/GRC/Sunday/i-TF7J554/0/O/IM-6609.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://brut-photography.smugmug.co​m .../0/O/IM-6609.jpg&lb=1&s=A] (external link) on Smugmug

Brut-Photography.com
Facebook (external link) Brut_Photography - Instagram
"I have photographed cars you have used in Forza"
Canon 7D MKii

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
Joined Oct 2012
Bowie, MD
Sep 22, 2015 12:38 |  #11

STP03BlueSi wrote in post #17717468 (external link)
This is what I mostly cover. Besides the Indy race in St. Pete

QUOTED IMAGE
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://brut-photography.smugmug.co​m .../0/O/IM-6609.jpg&lb=1&s=A] (external link) on Smugmug

Awesome subject matter, and great shot! Yeah, I don't see why the 6D or any of the a7 cameras (with their native lenses) would have any trouble shooting that type of work.

GeoKras1989
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2014
Sep 22, 2015 12:48 |  #12
banned

Copidosoma wrote in post #17717398 (external link)

So I'd say:

7D motorsports.

Disagree on everything except the 6D and noise comment. ISO 1600 is a limitation coming from the shooter/processor, not the camera.

Ice hockey and basketball from rink/court-side is a lot more challenging than motorsports. The 60D will do both nicely. If you can get by with the center point only, the 6D will do it better. I love my 6D, make no mistake. But, I just bought a refurbed 70D because the 6D's peripheral points and AI-Servo don't perform as well as my 60D did. Well, at least I can call that an upgrade.

The 7D2 may be a better tool for a lot of jobs. For me, it would be overkill. So far, I am finding the 70D quite amazing.

GeoKras1989
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2014
Sep 22, 2015 20:21 |  #13
banned

Either will do most jobs just fine. If you really need one or the other, you already know that, and only one of them will do what you need done.

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
Joined Sep 2013
Portland, OR
Sep 22, 2015 20:36 |  #14

Get both like me.  :p

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - 18-55 - 35 f2 WR - 50-140 - 6D - 135L - 70-200 f4L IS - 600EX-RT x2 - ST-E3-RT - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

GeoKras1989
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2014
Sep 22, 2015 20:44 |  #15
banned

FarmerTed1971 wrote in post #17718081 (external link)
Get both like me.  :p

Have 6D. Just got 70D. Wife said I could buy a 5D3 next year. As Sam Stevens always said, "Weeellllll?"

sponsored links

10,037 views & 7 likes for this thread
6D vs 7D Mark II
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.